View -> Show Deleted Messages doesn't keep them

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

View -> Show Deleted Messages doesn't keep them

Van Snyder
I have set View -> Show Deleted Messages. When I delete a message, as expected, it draws a line through its row in the upper pane. But if new mail arrives, and maybe under some other circumstances, the row disappears and the message is in the trash folder.

Sometimes when I go to the trash folder and undelete a message, it disappears, as if I had emptied the trash -- but it's only that message that disappears, not all the trash. It's not back in the inbox; as far as I can tell, it's actually deleted.

Have I set up something wrong?

I'm using Evolution 3.30.5-1.1 on Debian Buster 10.4.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: View -> Show Deleted Messages doesn't keep them

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-07-22 at 12:50 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> I have set View -> Show Deleted Messages. When I delete a message, as
> expected, it draws a line through its row in the upper pane. But if
> new mail arrives, and maybe under some other circumstances, the row
> disappears and the message is in the trash folder.

        Hi,
some accounts (notably EWS and also IMAP in some cases) allow real
Trash (and Junk) folders, which means that messages marked for deletion
are moved to the real Trash when the folder changes are saved. You can
find the setting on the Defaults tab of the mail account Properties.

> Sometimes when I go to the trash folder and undelete a message, it
> disappears, as if I had emptied the trash -- but it's only that
> message that disappears, not all the trash. It's not back in the
> inbox; as far as I can tell, it's actually deleted.

I do not recall how your 3.30.5, but it's supposed (in the current
3.36.4) to undelete the message and move it into the Inbox.

        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: View -> Show Deleted Messages doesn't keep them

Pete Biggs
On Thu, 2020-07-23 at 10:03 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-07-22 at 12:50 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> > I have set View -> Show Deleted Messages. When I delete a message, as
> > expected, it draws a line through its row in the upper pane. But if
> > new mail arrives, and maybe under some other circumstances, the row
> > disappears and the message is in the trash folder.
>
> Hi,
> some accounts (notably EWS and also IMAP in some cases) allow real
> Trash (and Junk) folders, which means that messages marked for deletion
> are moved to the real Trash when the folder changes are saved. You can
> find the setting on the Defaults tab of the mail account Properties.
>
And some providers, like gmail, have their own idea about how to handle
deleted mail and ignore anything that doesn't match with their world
view!

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list