Week View bunches Wednesday and Thursday together, not Saturday & Sunday

Week View bunches Wednesday and Thursday together, not Saturday & Sunday

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi all,

I am new to Evolution, having just escaped from the Microsoft ecosystem,
and have returned to Unix/Linux after 25 years away, so I am a bit rusty
with the command line... But, it is fun to be back! I am enjoying Evolution
and learning the ropes to customise it to my needs.

I am on Evolution 3.30.5-1.1 on GNOME 3.30.2 running under PureOS (ie
Debian-based Linux from Purism).

The issue I have -- and I've searched in the archives of this list but have
not been able to find it it -- is that on the Week View (7 days), the Wed &
Thu are grouped together each in half-height at bottom left, instead of the
Sat & Sun grouped together each in half-height at bottom right, which is
what you might expect.

Changing the option to Order days in Week view from left to right still
does not change this. In this case Fri & Sat are bunched together.

Has anyone else got this issue?

Thanks,
JV

Re: Week View bunches Wednesday and Thursday together, not Saturday & Sunday

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 08:27 +0200, Joseph Voros via evolution-list
wrote:
> The issue I have -- and I've searched in the archives of this list
> but have not been able to find it it -- is that on the Week View (7
> days), the Wed & Thu are grouped together each in half-height at
> bottom left, instead of the Sat & Sun grouped together each in half-
> height at bottom right, which is what you might expect.

        Hi,
I guess it depends on Edit->Preferences->Calendar Preferences, what
you've set as the "Week starts on" and what days are checked as "Work
days".

To have the two days compressed they should be beside each other. They
even might be at the right-bottom corner, if I'm not mistaken.

On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 10:43 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 08:27 +0200, Joseph Voros via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > The issue I have -- and I've searched in the archives of this list
> > but have not been able to find it it -- is that on the Week View (7
> > days), the Wed & Thu are grouped together each in half-height at
> > bottom left, instead of the Sat & Sun grouped together each in half-
> > height at bottom right, which is what you might expect.
>
>         Hi,
> I guess it depends on Edit->Preferences->Calendar Preferences, what
> you've set as the "Week starts on" and what days are checked as "Work
> days".
>
> To have the two days compressed they should be beside each other. They
> even might be at the right-bottom corner, if I'm not mistaken.
>         Bye,
>         Milan

It is not the *Work* Week View, but the *standard* one. Allow me to
illustrate the issue via a screenshot (attached).

Thanks,
JV

Screenshot from 2020-09-26 13-39-01.png (573K) Download Attachment

Re: Week View bunches Wednesday and Thursday together, not Saturday & Sunday

Pete Biggs

> >         Hi,
> > I guess it depends on Edit->Preferences->Calendar Preferences, what
> > you've set as the "Week starts on" and what days are checked as "Work
> > days".
> >
> > To have the two days compressed they should be beside each other. They
> > even might be at the right-bottom corner, if I'm not mistaken.
> >         Bye,
> >         Milan
>
> It is not the *Work* Week View, but the *standard* one. Allow me to
> illustrate the issue via a screenshot (attached).

Yes, the full week view also understands what a Work week is and
changes the significance of non-work week days.

On the screen shot you have the preferences window open on the Display
tab.  On the "General" tab you need to see what the "Week Starts on" is
set to. The two days previous to the start of the week are shown
compressed in the whole week view.

On Sat, 2020-09-26 at 10:23 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> Yes, the full week view also understands what a Work week is and
> changes the significance of non-work week days.
>
> On the screen shot you have the preferences window open on the Display
> tab.  On the "General" tab you need to see what the "Week Starts on" is
> set to. The two days previous to the start of the week are shown
> compressed in the whole week view.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, as the attached screen shot shows,
Monday was already set to be the start of the work week under the General
tab.

This is intriguing.

JV

StrangeWeek_View_Behaviour.jpg (46K) Download Attachment

Re: Week View bunches Wednesday and Thursday together, not Saturday & Sunday

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 12:29 +0200, Joseph Voros via evolution-list
wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. However, as the attached screen shot
> shows, Monday was already set to be the start of the work week under
> the General tab.

        Hi,
the screenshot also shows (quite blurry) that you've set Saturday and
Sunday as Working days (it's the very next line below the "Monday").
Uncheck them from working days, if you want them to be considered as
weekend (non-working) days.

I tested it here and I can confirm it's the problem. Just change your
settings to what you expect it to be.

On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 09:29 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 12:29 +0200, Joseph Voros via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > Thanks for the suggestion. However, as the attached screen shot
> > shows, Monday was already set to be the start of the work week under
> > the General tab.
>
> Hi,
> the screenshot also shows (quite blurry) that you've set Saturday and
> Sunday as Working days (it's the very next line below the "Monday").
> Uncheck them from working days, if you want them to be considered as
> weekend (non-working) days.
>
> I tested it here and I can confirm it's the problem. Just change your
> settings to what you expect it to be.

Hi, yes, the image is blurry because the listerv software kept rejecting
the message until the combined image plus text was less than 60 kB. A lot
of dialling down the resolution was needed.

I did see that changing Sat & Sun to non-work days would remove the Wed/Thu
bunched-up anomaly. But, I actually like to view the week as the Work Week
view has it, with the 7 days in a row. And, besides, *all* days are work
days these days, aren't they? ;-)

Anyway, thanks for your help. It would be good if that behaviour could be
removed at some future update to allow people the option of viewing both
forms of week display.

Best wishes,
JV

Re: Week View bunches Wednesday and Thursday together, not Saturday & Sunday

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 11:29 +0000, Joseph Voros via evolution-list
wrote:
> Hi, yes, the image is blurry because the listerv software kept rejecting
>
> the message until the combined image plus text was less than 60 kB. A lot
>
> of dialling down the resolution was needed.

The list doesn't use "listserv" but Mailman. Be that as it may, as I
mentioned to you offline, the preferred method of doing this is to put
the image on a publicly accessible website and post the URL to the
list.

I'm going to add this recommendation to the standard rejection message
to make it clearer.

On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 13:05 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> The list doesn't use "listserv" but Mailman. Be that as it may, as I
> mentioned to you offline, the preferred method of doing this is to put
> the image on a publicly accessible website and post the URL to the
> list.

Sorry, showing my age -- for me "listserv" is a generic term for any
automated email list, dating from my days way back in the Paleolithic of
the interwebs ;-)

I didn't see advice about placing images onto web sites, but I shall employ
that method hereafter, if necessary.

> I'm going to add this recommendation to the standard rejection message
> to make it clearer.

That would help newcomers to this list, certainly. Thanks for your
patience.

JV

Re: Week View bunches Wednesday and Thursday together, not Saturday & Sunday

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 12:45 +0000, Joseph Voros via evolution-list
wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 13:05 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > The list doesn't use "listserv" but Mailman. Be that as it may, as I
> > mentioned to you offline, the preferred method of doing this is to put
> > the image on a publicly accessible website and post the URL to the
> > list.
>
> Sorry, showing my age -- for me "listserv" is a generic term for any
> automated email list, dating from my days way back in the Paleolithic of
> the interwebs ;-)

It was never a generic term. It used to refer to a specific mailing
list system on IBM's BITNIC corporate network in ye olden days pre-
Internet, which IIRC used the hair-raising kludge of submitting
messages as batch jobs to VM/370 mainframes. It has also been used for
other systems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LISTSERV

> I didn't see advice about placing images onto web sites, but I shall employ
> that method hereafter, if necessary.

I'm pretty sure I replied to you off-list (wearing my list moderator
hat), but it doesn't matter.