What file does evo utilize on startup to determine if 'this is a first run, and requires initial setup'

What file does evo utilize on startup to determine if 'this is a first run, and requires initial setup'

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
evo 3.32.1

What file does evo utilize on startup to determine if 'this is a first
run, and requires initial setup'?

On random occasions ( although it seems to occur more often after I have
utilized our work vpn from home ), on startup evolution will believe
that it's being started for the first time after an installation,
forcing me to recover from a backup. I'd like to know what triggers
evolution to believe this - a missing file or configuration setting - so
that I can check for it manually to see if it's truly missing and if so
try to determine the root cause.

thanks
reid

Re: What file does evo utilize on startup to determine if 'this is a first run, and requires initial setup'

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 11:13 +0000, Reid Thompson via evolution-list
wrote:
> evo 3.32.1

        Hi,
it's planned for a release the next week :)

> On random occasions ( although it seems to occur more often after I
> have utilized our work vpn from home ), on startup evolution will
> believe that it's being started for the first time after an
> installation, forcing me to recover from a backup.

It sounds like there was not found any configured mail account, which
triggers the New Mail Account wizard when you enter the Mail view
(starting in the Calendar or any other than the Mail view doesn't
trigger it). The wizard can be disabled with that "Do not show again"
checkbox, if I recall correctly and if we are talking about the same
thing.

On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 15:31 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 11:13 +0000, Reid Thompson via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > evo 3.32.1
>
>         Hi,
> it's planned for a release the next week :)

Thanks Milan,

sure, i'm building and running from git gnome-3-32
Right now, my git build shows in the about dialog 3.32.1.
(but this issue has happened on previous version builds also).

git branch:
  gnome-3-30
* gnome-3-32
  master
lines 1-3/3 (END)

> It sounds like there was not found any configured mail account, which
> triggers the New Mail Account wizard when you enter the Mail view
> (starting in the Calendar or any other than the Mail view doesn't
> trigger it). The wizard can be disabled with that "Do not show again"
> checkbox, if I recall correctly and if we are talking about the same
> thing.
>         Bye,
>         Milan

where does it look for configured mail accounts?

The next time it happens, I want to inspect to determine if the
confiuration information is there or has truly disappeared.

This happens randomly, but often enough to be a distraction.

thanks,
reid

Re: What file does evo utilize on startup to determine if 'this is a first run, and requires initial setup'

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 14:50 +0000, Reid Thompson via evolution-list
wrote:
> Right now, my git build shows in the about dialog 3.32.1.
> (but this issue has happened on previous version builds also).

        Hi,
well, it's not an issue, it's part of the Post-release version bump. It
has some pros and cons, of course (in contrast to bump the version
right before the release). No big deal from my side.

> where does it look for configured mail accounts?

It asks the evolution-source-registry, which merges .source files from
   ~/.config/evolution/sources/
and
   ~/.cache/evolution/sources/

It looks for those which contain
   [Mail Account]
section, roughly said. It doesn't matter whether it's enabled or not,
just whether there is any. The "On This Computer" and "Search Folders"
are skipped.

You mentioned it mostly happens when you work with VPN. How is your
account configured, directly in Evolution or with (GNOME) Online
Accounts (GOA)? If with GOA, then maybe GOA is waiting for some network
response and doesn't claim the account until it verifies something,
thus the sources are removed (like being invisible). This might not
matter when the account is configured directly in Evolution.

You can check in detail what the source registry does when you run it
like this:
   $ ESR_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry
The actual path can differ for you. To make things automatic I
sometimes replace the original evolution-source-registry with a script
like this:

   #!/bin/bash
   FILESUFFIX=`date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S`
   ESR_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry.orig "$@" &>/var/tmp/esr-${FILESUFFIX}.log

where the evolution-source-registry.orig is the original binary. This
way the log is created also when the service is run by D-Bus. Of
course, you should be careful, because any `make install` in the
evolution-data-server overwrites the script with the built source
registry.

On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 17:10 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 14:50 +0000, Reid Thompson via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > Right now, my git build shows in the about dialog 3.32.1.
> > (but this issue has happened on previous version builds also).
>
>         Hi,
> well, it's not an issue, it's part of the Post-release version bump. It
> has some pros and cons, of course (in contrast to bump the version
> right before the release). No big deal from my side.
>
> > where does it look for configured mail accounts?
>
> It asks the evolution-source-registry, which merges .source files from
>    ~/.config/evolution/sources/
> and
>    ~/.cache/evolution/sources/

Contents of those two directories.

$ cd .config/evolution/sources/
[14:41:41][7s] rthompso@raker3> ~/.config/evolution/sources
$ ls -rlt
total 117
-rw-r--r-- 1 rthompso staff  288 Jul 29  2014 system-proxy.source
-rw-r--r-- 1 rthompso staff  224 Feb 22  2016 vfolder.source
-rw-r--r-- 1 rthompso staff  280 Feb 22  2016 local.source
-rw-r--r-- 1 rthompso staff  128 May  2  2016 system-memo-list.source
-rw-r--r-- 1 rthompso staff  128 May  2  2016 system-task-list.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff   89 Jul 20  2016 [hidden email]
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  486 Aug 16  2016 [hidden email]
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  362 Jan  5  2017 [hidden email]
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  472 Sep 14  2017 [hidden email]
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  148 Jan  3  2018 ccae5ed3d3de2ffeee1aaff0a60e7ff458b17f9d.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  246 Jan  3  2018 afc9dc64e5640cc16de078a6ac793aa4e854f9ef.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  332 Jan  3  2018 2958741907fadb121cb69d8d587fa59856087236.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  587 Jan  3  2018 1fa5e6be9e9f52bb7050beaae23c50d259e01e68.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  241 Jan  3  2018 b5b647c3aaddb3bbea00314cdca09c38aba43f97.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  576 Jan  3  2018 27520fac9488144eaad7555cda8f592ddf098c9a.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  322 Jan  3  2018 50a8272d0bff51f5cc1a8975b4b28b1bf36d413e.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff 1079 Jan 16  2018 10b7c81d748657555aa4977a78f248d4e1c06f9c.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  617 Jan 31 16:24 [hidden email]
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  702 Jan 31 16:24 [hidden email]
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  702 Jan 31 16:24 [hidden email]
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  633 Feb  4 14:24 [hidden email]
-rw-r--r-- 1 rthompso staff  250 Feb  4 14:24 birthdays.source
-rw-r--r-- 1 rthompso staff  184 Feb 22 13:15 system-calendar.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff 1064 Feb 28 14:31 8ae2c58bb262cbddb3ee0ca7a1e950af7c0c30cb.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  323 Mar 14 10:47 f2a6af312ef6e1a84f2cdc87bef9f42eab34580b.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff  636 Apr  3 09:45 [hidden email]
[14:41:42][0s] rthompso@raker3> ~/.config/evolution/sources

$ cd ~/.cache/evolution/sources/
[14:41:56][0s] rthompso@raker3> ~/.cache/evolution/sources
$ ls -rlt
total 17
drwxr-xr-x 2 rthompso staff  2 Apr  3 07:00 trash
drwx------ 2 rthompso staff 20 Apr  3 12:45 8ae2c58bb262cbddb3ee0ca7a1e950af7c0c30cb

> It looks for those which contain
>    [Mail Account]
> section, roughly said. It doesn't matter whether it's enabled or not,
> just whether there is any. The "On This Computer" and "Search Folders"
> are skipped.

Files with [Mail Account] in /home/rthompso/.config/evolution/sources

$ cd -
/home/rthompso/.config/evolution/sources
[14:52:20][0s] rthompso@raker3> ~/.config/evolution/sources

$ rg "\[Mail Account\]"
50a8272d0bff51f5cc1a8975b4b28b1bf36d413e.source
10:[Mail Account]

vfolder.source
8:[Mail Account]

local.source
8:[Mail Account]

2958741907fadb121cb69d8d587fa59856087236.source
10:[Mail Account]

f2a6af312ef6e1a84f2cdc87bef9f42eab34580b.source
10:[Mail Account]

Dates for files in /home/rthompso/.config/evolution/sources:

$ rg -l "\[Mail Account\]" | xargs ls -l
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff 332 Jan  3  2018 2958741907fadb121cb69d8d587fa59856087236.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff 322 Jan  3  2018 50a8272d0bff51f5cc1a8975b4b28b1bf36d413e.source
-rw------- 1 rthompso staff 323 Mar 14 10:47 f2a6af312ef6e1a84f2cdc87bef9f42eab34580b.source
-rw-r--r-- 1 rthompso staff 280 Feb 22  2016 local.source
-rw-r--r-- 1 rthompso staff 224 Feb 22  2016 vfolder.source

No files with [Mail Account] in /home/rthompso/.cache/evolution/sources
$ cd -
/home/rthompso/.cache/evolution/sources
[14:51:26][0s] rthompso@raker3> ~/.cache/evolution/sources
$ rg "\[Mail Account\]"
[14:51:29][0s] rthompso@raker3> ~/.cache/evolution/sources
$

> You mentioned it mostly happens when you work with VPN. How is your
> account configured, directly in Evolution or with (GNOME) Online
> Accounts (GOA)? If with GOA, then maybe GOA is waiting for some network
> response and doesn't claim the account until it verifies something,
> thus the sources are removed (like being invisible). This might not
> matter when the account is configured directly in Evolution.

?  how can I tell ?  I configured my accounts from within the evolution
gui.

> You can check in detail what the source registry does when you run it
> like this:
>    $ ESR_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry
> The actual path can differ for you. To make things automatic I
> sometimes replace the original evolution-source-registry with a script
> like this:
>
>    #!/bin/bash
>    FILESUFFIX=`date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S`
>    ESR_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry.orig "$@" &>/var/tmp/esr-${FILESUFFIX}.log
>
> where the evolution-source-registry.orig is the original binary. This
> way the log is created also when the service is run by D-Bus. Of
> course, you should be careful, because any `make install` in the
> evolution-data-server overwrites the script with the built source
> registry.

the next time it happens i should be able to get info using this.

thanks again Milan.

reid