Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

mickeydog
I received an email with a 29mb attachment which is causing evolution to
freeze. Evolution freezes when trying to display it, saying "Formatting
message(...)"

I am trying to delete the message via the filesystem (outside of evolution)
As root, I go to /home/my_username/.evolution/mail/local/ and i see the
mail folders, but i don't see messages.

Where are the messages?

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

Ron Johnson
On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 08:13 -0700, [hidden email] wrote:
> I received an email with a 29mb attachment which is causing evolution to
> freeze. Evolution freezes when trying to display it, saying "Formatting
> message(...)"

Could it just be taking a long time?  Does top(1) show Evo pegging
the CPU, or sucking memory?

> I am trying to delete the message via the filesystem (outside of evolution)
> As root, I go to /home/my_username/.evolution/mail/local/ and i see the
> mail folders, but i don't see messages.
>
> Where are the messages?

All messages are stored in files-with-the-same-name-as-the-folder.

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

mickeydog
technically, it is not frozen, but it is taking up so many resources
that nothing else is possible.
eventually (15 minutes or so), it crashes.

>All messages are stored in files-with-the-same-name-as-the-folder.

i don't understand what you are saying.
Is each message a separate file?
I know the message is in "Inbox" but in the [local] folder i see:
[Inbox]
Inbox.cmeta
Inbox.ev-summary
Inbox.ibex.index
Inbox.ibex.index.data

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

Andre Klapper
hi,

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 12:39 -0700, mickeydog wrote:
> i don't understand what you are saying.
> Is each message a separate file?

no!

> I know the message is in "Inbox" but in the [local] folder i see:
> [Inbox]
> Inbox.cmeta
> Inbox.ev-summary
> Inbox.ibex.index
> Inbox.ibex.index.data

what leads you to thinking that "Inbox" is a folder and not a file?
actually, it's the file you're looking for.

cheers,

 mailto:[hidden email] | failed!
 http://www.iomc.de

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

mickeydog
> what leads you to thinking that "Inbox" is a folder and not a file?
> actually, it's the file you're looking for.
I respectfully disagree.
Inbox.sbd is a folder, but Inbox is a file.
I can edit it with a text editor.
I tried to simply delete the one message (which was the last and thus
and the end of the file).  For some reason, selecting and deleting just
that one message, after saving the changes resulted in a empty file,
possibly because i was using a text editor to edit what might be html
format and i screwed the html up.  I had backed up it, so no loss.
And evolution is running once again.

Thanks for all your help.

> cheers,
> andre

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

Lee Revell
On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 20:55 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 12:39 -0700, mickeydog wrote:
> > i don't understand what you are saying.
> > Is each message a separate file?
>
> no!

That would have been a better design.  mbox format simply does not scale
to tens of thousands of messages.

Lee

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

mickeydog
> That would have been a better design.  mbox format simply does not scale
> to tens of thousands of messages.

I would agree.

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 13:14 -0700, mickeydog wrote:
> > That would have been a better design.  mbox format simply does not scale
> > to tens of thousands of messages.
>
> I would agree.

Depending on how Evolution is coded it might not be too hard to
implement a Maildir backend.  It might even be in bugzilla as an RFE
already.

Lee

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

sfarber
Actually, I think (in the evolution-1.4 days) that evolution supported
maildir, mh AND mbox style mailboxes.  I actually used it to convert
from mh (sylpheed) to mbox at one point.

Not sure how long it's been gone, though.

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 15:09 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 20:55 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 12:39 -0700, mickeydog wrote:
> > > i don't understand what you are saying.
> > > Is each message a separate file?
> >
> > no!
>
> That would have been a better design.  mbox format simply does not scale
> to tens of thousands of messages.

Install an IMAP server.  Pretty easy to do, and lets you do geeky
things like install fetchmail, an MTA, server-side filtering,
SpamAssassin, etc.

And it frees you from total reliance upon Evolution.  Heresy, you
say?  No.  It allows you to also install web mail so that you can
read your own email while away from home.  Also, sometimes Evo
"breaks".  When I installed Debian Unstable on my new computer
last month, Evo wouldn't install because of broken library depen-
dencies.  Because I had an IMAP server, I was able to use Sylpheed
until the broken library was fixed and I could install Evo.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I want to have children and I know my time is running out: I
want to have them while my parents are still young enough to take
care of them."
Rita Rudner

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

Alessio Bragadini
On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 13:05 -0700, mickeydog wrote:

> Inbox.sbd is a folder, but Inbox is a file.
> I can edit it with a text editor.

Not exactly a smart choice. For working on a mbox file, I would suggest
using a text-only email client which knows how to handle the format. For
all these tasks, I routinely use mutt (available on most Unix-like
platforms) which can work easily on a mbox file, e.g.
mutt -f ~/.evolution/mail/local/Inbox

Select the message you want to delete, hit 'd', hit 'q' and it's done.

--
Alessio Bragadini <[hidden email]>
Sevenseas.org Hacking Community

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

Alessio Bragadini
I would say that recently the quality of the discussions on this list
has gone down *a lot*...

--
Alessio Bragadini <[hidden email]>
Sevenseas.org Hacking Community

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

mickeydog
Thanks for the 'mutt' tip.
I didn't know about this program.
I installed it and ran it as you suggested and indeed this is would have
been a much better solution than my hacking.

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 23:31 +0100, Alessio Bragadini wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 13:05 -0700, mickeydog wrote:
>
> > Inbox.sbd is a folder, but Inbox is a file.
> > I can edit it with a text editor.
>
> Not exactly a smart choice. For working on a mbox file, I would suggest
> using a text-only email client which knows how to handle the format. For
> all these tasks, I routinely use mutt (available on most Unix-like
> platforms) which can work easily on a mbox file, e.g.
> mutt -f ~/.evolution/mail/local/Inbox
>
> Select the message you want to delete, hit 'd', hit 'q' and it's done.

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

Ron Johnson
On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 13:05 -0700, mickeydog wrote:

> > what leads you to thinking that "Inbox" is a folder and not a file?
> > actually, it's the file you're looking for.
> I respectfully disagree.
> Inbox.sbd is a folder, but Inbox is a file.
> I can edit it with a text editor.
> I tried to simply delete the one message (which was the last and thus
> and the end of the file).  For some reason, selecting and deleting just
> that one message, after saving the changes resulted in a empty file,
> possibly because i was using a text editor to edit what might be html
> format and i screwed the html up.  I had backed up it, so no loss.
> And evolution is running once again.

You must be using Evo in "3 pane" mode.

If you drag the horizonal separator bar all the way down to the
bottom, completely hiding the email, and thus maximizing the
"subject list", you can easily delete the offending email.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"What's your genius, perfect 20 years too late Monday morning
quarterback answer to how the US should have responded to the
Soviet invasion of Afghanistan? Oh wait, you're just talking crap
- you don't have a real answer, you're just regurgitating crap
from NPR."
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=76597&cid=6839483

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 21:31 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> If you drag the horizonal separator bar all the way down to the
> bottom, completely hiding the email, and thus maximizing the
> "subject list", you can easily delete the offending email.

So you are actually suggesting to untick from the menu
View -> Preview Pane (or Ctrl + `, yes backtick)

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 11:58 +0100, Alessio Bragadini wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 21:31 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > If you drag the horizonal separator bar all the way down to the
> > bottom, completely hiding the email, and thus maximizing the
> > "subject list", you can easily delete the offending email.
>
> So you are actually suggesting to untick from the menu
> View -> Preview Pane (or Ctrl + `, yes backtick)

99.999% yes.  In my way, the "drag bar" is still visible.

The effect is the same, though.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be based
on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the wheel and axle,
the screw, the wedge and the inclined plane."
Marilyn Vos Savant

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

In late-model Evos it's Ctrl-M. I use it all the time.

poc

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 05:17 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 11:58 +0100, Alessio Bragadini wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 21:31 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > If you drag the horizonal separator bar all the way down to the
> > > bottom, completely hiding the email, and thus maximizing the
> > > "subject list", you can easily delete the offending email.
> >
> > So you are actually suggesting to untick from the menu
> > View -> Preview Pane (or Ctrl + `, yes backtick)
>
> 99.999% yes.  In my way, the "drag bar" is still visible.
>
> The effect is the same, though.

No it isn't. Hiding the pane (Ctrl-M or Ctrl-`) means Evo will not fetch
the message when you select it. Simply dragging the bar doesn't have
this effect. That makes all the difference.

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

mickeydog
In my situation, I couldn't not do anything.
Evolution was frozen, for all practical purposes.

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 21:31 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 13:05 -0700, mickeydog wrote:
> > > what leads you to thinking that "Inbox" is a folder and not a file?
> > > actually, it's the file you're looking for.
> > I respectfully disagree.
> > Inbox.sbd is a folder, but Inbox is a file.
> > I can edit it with a text editor.
> > I tried to simply delete the one message (which was the last and thus
> > and the end of the file).  For some reason, selecting and deleting just
> > that one message, after saving the changes resulted in a empty file,
> > possibly because i was using a text editor to edit what might be html
> > format and i screwed the html up.  I had backed up it, so no loss.
> > And evolution is running once again.
>
> You must be using Evo in "3 pane" mode.
>
> If you drag the horizonal separator bar all the way down to the
> bottom, completely hiding the email, and thus maximizing the
> "subject list", you can easily delete the offending email.

Re: Where are evolution email messages in filesystem?

Karsten Bräckelmann-2

> Actually, I think (in the evolution-1.4 days) that evolution supported
> maildir, mh AND mbox style mailboxes.  I actually used it to convert
> from mh (sylpheed) to mbox at one point.
>
> Not sure how long it's been gone, though.

It still does. Have a look at the Server Type of any mail account...

The difference is, Evo 1.4 used to support maildir and mbox as its
*native* backends. This option vanished. But Evo still can handle
maildir and mh accounts.

...guenther