Why are all new mails ending up in the junk folder?

Why are all new mails ending up in the junk folder?

Svante Signell-3
Hi,

After upgrade of my evolution version suddenly all new mails arrive in the junk
folder. Even if no junk filtering has been selected. Email account is from
gmail.

Hoping for help, thanks.

Installed version Debian:
evolution 3.22.4-1
<and other packages>

Re: Why are all new mails ending up in the junk folder?

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 11:28 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> After upgrade of my evolution version suddenly all new mails arrive in the junk
> folder. Even if no junk filtering has been selected. Email account is from
> gmail.
>
> Hoping for help, thanks.
>
> Installed version Debian:
> evolution 3.22.4-1

An IMAP account?

On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 11:34 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 11:28 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > After upgrade of my evolution version suddenly all new mails arrive in the
> > junk
> > folder. Even if no junk filtering has been selected. Email account is from
> > gmail.
> >
> > Hoping for help, thanks.
> >
> > Installed version Debian:
> > evolution 3.22.4-1
>
> An IMAP account?

Yes

Re: Why are all new mails ending up in the junk folder?

> After upgrade of my evolution version suddenly all new mails arrive in the junk
> folder. Even if no junk filtering has been selected. Email account is from
> gmail.

When you say "no junk filtering" what do you mean? Is it turned off in
Preferences -> Mail Preferences -> Junk?

If you look at the source of one of the messages in Junk, is it obvious
why it's been so labelled?

There are spam filters in Gmail itself, is it possible that it's not
Evo but Gmail that's doing it?

On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 10:54 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > After upgrade of my evolution version suddenly all new mails arrive in the
> > junk
> > folder. Even if no junk filtering has been selected. Email account is from
> > gmail.
> >

> When you say "no junk filtering" what do you mean? Is it turned off in
> Preferences -> Mail Preferences -> Junk?

Turned off, yes.

> If you look at the source of one of the messages in Junk, is it obvious
> why it's been so labelled?

No. All incoming mails end up in the junk folder.

> There are spam filters in Gmail itself, is it possible that it's not
> Evo but Gmail that's doing it?

I don't think so. On another box I use icedove (thunderbird) and all is normal
there.

Re: Why are all new mails ending up in the junk folder?

Pete Biggs

> > When you say "no junk filtering" what do you mean? Is it turned off in
> > Preferences -> Mail Preferences -> Junk?
>
> Turned off, yes.

Hmm, if everything in the Junk preferences is unticked, I don't know
how the messages can be tagged as junk.

However, remember that by default Junk is a virtual folder - it
displays things that have been marked as Junk, but the message actually
stays in the original folder and since it's an Evolution internal thing
other mail clients wouldn't know about it.

Is it possible that you have a filter in place that is marking
everything as junk?

Re: Why are all new mails ending up in the junk folder?

Milan Crha
On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 11:58 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> Is it possible that you have a filter in place that is marking
> everything as junk?

        Hi,
I would also check whether SpamAssassin or Bogofilter are installed.
The Junk tab in Preferences may show it as well.

I recall some users reporting something similar, but I wasn't able to
reproduce it myself, if I recall correctly. Try to run evolution from a
terminal as:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=junk evolution

Maybe it'll give something useful.

Note that there is a junk filtering option also in the Properties of
the IMAP account, the Receiving Options tab.

Re: Why are all new mails ending up in the junk folder?

Svante Signell-3
On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 11:58 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > When you say "no junk filtering" what do you mean? Is it turned off in
> > > Preferences -> Mail Preferences -> Junk?
> >
> > Turned off, yes.
>
> Hmm, if everything in the Junk preferences is unticked, I don't know
> how the messages can be tagged as junk.
> Is it possible that you have a filter in place that is marking
> everything as junk?

I suspect that it was icedove marking all incoming mails as junk, and with the
gmail account that was reflected in the same IMAP account using evolution. Other
email accounts also had incoming emails as junk in icedove, but that was not
reflected in evolution. Making the incoming mails a not being junk in icedove
made the problems go away.

Thank you all for your prompt replies.