Working with tables in New Mail composer is frustrating

Working with tables in New Mail composer is frustrating

Louis van Dyk
Hi

Over the years of using Evolution, one of the things that is always a problem for me is tables.  When it works it's beautiful, but when it goes wrong, I usually have to delete the whole thing and start over.

It starts where my messages are in HTML mode by default, and I have a corporate email signature with a logo.  I click new message, the skeleton appears.  I type "Hi" in the first line, and perhaps enter, some text and enter, type the "Regards," above the signature so it doesn't automatically change to the Preformatted style when I run out of space under my message text (that's another issue but I do this to work around it).

Then I place my cursor on a blank line, click on the table icon, choose say, 5 rows, 3 columns, 600 px width (i.e. I'm not using 100%), spacing 2, padding 1, border 1, and close.

Here the first problem appears.  My "Regards," and the two "--" above the signature, and the first few line of my signature appear to the right of the table, starting from between row 2 and 3.  I have to press a number "enters" to move it below the table, but then the receiver gets my email with a large gap below the table and the ending lines of my email.

The second problem occurs with the UNDO function.

Usually I am copying and pasting text into the table rows - most often with highlighting text off and clicking the middle mouse button.

I'll usually type or copy in the column headers in the first row, then drag across the first row and make it bold.

Now the trouble comes when sometimes, for reasons that I don't understand, the text which has been vertically centred in the cell suddenly pastes in on the bottom of the cell.  Now I press CTRL-Z to UNDO.  When I press multiple CTRL-Z's random things from random cells start to vanish.  I then try to correct it but it all quickly gets out of hand and I have to delete the table and restart - trying very hard not to have to press UNDO.

Any comments on your experiences?

Regards
Louis

Re: Working with tables in New Mail composer is frustrating

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 01:31 +0200, Louis van Dyk wrote:
> Any comments on your experiences?

        Hi,
it seems you've 3.36.3. The 3.38.0 will have a new composer code, which
works differently in some aspects, including those you mentioned
(especially the undo/redo). It may have its own bugs, of course, as
it's a new code. It also relies on WebKitGTK editing behavior more than
the old composer.

I cannot speak of the table drawing, it looks like a CSS thing to me.
Though I'm not sure.

Re: Working with tables in New Mail composer is frustrating

Louis van Dyk
Hi Milan

Spot on - I am on 3.36.3.  Let's see what the new release brings and I'll keep the forum updated.

Regards
Louis