all mails are deleted in all folders after deleting mails in search folders unmatched

all mails are deleted in all folders after deleting mails in search folders unmatched

Jos Rikhof
all mails are deleted in all folders after deleting mails in search folders unmatched. Only mails of last search are still there.

I checked the content in /home/me/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.OneOfTheFolders/cur

result: no content at all.
There shoud be around 2000 mails, gathered during about 10 yrs.

I renamed folders.db, resulting in creating a new folders.db.

Is there a way to recover my mails.
Number of mails is about 10.000 over 12 yrs.

Thanks for your help.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Met vriendelijke groet,

Jos B. Rikhof
T:0031 (0)53 5387831
M:0031 (0)6 53621101

Re: all mails are deleted in all folders after deleting mails in search folders unmatched

Jos Rikhof
version: 3.10.4

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Met vriendelijke groet,

Jos B. Rikhof
T:0031 (0)53 5387831
M:0031 (0)6 53621101

On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 22:33 +0100, Jos Rikhof wrote:
> Is there a way to recover my mails.

        Hi,
they are possibly moved in the On This Computer/Trash folder. Unless
you expunge messages on exit, they should be still there.

Re: all mails are deleted in all folders after deleting mails in search folders unmatched

On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 22:33 +0100, Jos Rikhof wrote:

> all mails are deleted in all folders after deleting mails in search folders
> unmatched. Only mails of last search are still there.
>
> I checked the content
> in /home/me/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.OneOfTheFolders/cur
>
> result: no content at all.
> There shoud be around 2000 mails, gathered during about 10 yrs.
>
> I renamed folders.db, resulting in creating a new folders.db.
>
> Is there a way to recover my mails.
> Number of mails is about 10.000 over 12 yrs.

You don't say what kind of account this is (POP, IMAP, Exchange, ...).
It makes a difference to how deletion is handled. The default is the
IMAP method, in which deleted messages are simply marked but not
physically removed until you expunge the folder. If that's the case
then it's easy to recover them. Try selecting View->Show Deleted
Messages.

Otherwise, if the messages are no longer recoverable from your server,
it all depends on whether you have a regular backup system and can get
them from there. If not, there's nothing Evolution can do about it.

(If you use an IMAP server then someone else is doing the
administration for you. If not, you have to do it yourself.)

Re: all mails are deleted in all folders after deleting mails in search folders unmatched

On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 22:33 +0100, Jos Rikhof wrote:
> all mails are deleted in all folders after deleting mails in search
> folders unmatched. Only mails of last search are still there.

The search folder is a virtual folder containing a list of/link to the
emails matching a certain criterion. The unmatched contains everything
else. A virtual folder is just another way of viewing the emails, so
deleting something in a search folder actually deletes the original.

> I checked the content in /home/me/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.OneOfTheFolders/cur
>
> result: no content at all.

OK, so either deletion results in moving the mail, not just marking it
as deleted in the IMAP way, or you have already expunged the deleted
emails.

> Is there a way to recover my mails.
> Number of mails is about 10.000 over 12 yrs.

If deleted emails are moved, then look in the Trash folder.  If you
have already expunged things, either automatically or manually, then
they are gone I'm afraid and it's time to get out the backups.