asking for password

Christopher Marlow-3
I am having a problem with Evolution in KDE

Everytime I go to request my mail to be downloaded I am asked for a
password. Everytime I send I am asked for the password. How do I get
evolution to just save the password and not bug me about having to
enter it twice, several times a day?

Thanks!

Chris
[hidden email]

Fedora
Evolution 3.36.2
POP3

Re: asking for password

Andre Klapper
On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 15:25 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> I am having a problem with Evolution in KDE
>
> Everytime I go to request my mail to be downloaded I am asked for a
> password. Everytime I send I am asked for the password. How do I get
> evolution to just save the password and not bug me about having to
> enter it twice, several times a day?

Evolution is a GNOME application. Is gnome-keyring(-daemon) running?

Re: asking for password

On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 15:25 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> I am having a problem with Evolution in KDE
>
> Everytime I go to request my mail to be downloaded I am asked for a
> password. Everytime I send I am asked for the password. How do I get
> evolution to just save the password and not bug me about having to
> enter it twice, several times a day?

I run Evo under KDE. You need to have gnome-keyring running. Depending
on which email provider(s) you have, you may also need to run gnome-
control-center to set up the account using the Gnome Online Accounts
widget (usually just once). On recent versions of KDE, this can be done
as:

eval XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME gnome-control-center

Re: asking for password

Christopher Marlow-3
On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 22:57 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 15:25 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> > I am having a problem with Evolution in KDE
> >
> > Everytime I go to request my mail to be downloaded I am asked for a
> > password. Everytime I send I am asked for the password. How do I
> > get
> > evolution to just save the password and not bug me about having to
> > enter it twice, several times a day?
>
> Evolution is a GNOME application. Is gnome-keyring(-daemon) running?
>
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

[chris@localhost ~]$ gnome-keyring -daemon
usage: gnome-keyring command [options]

commands: certificate-exception
          import
          version

[chris@localhost ~]$

Chris
[hidden email]

Fedora
Evolution 3.34.4
POP3

Re: asking for password

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 17:30 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 22:57 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 15:25 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> > > I am having a problem with Evolution in KDE
> > >
> > > Everytime I go to request my mail to be downloaded I am asked for a
> > > password. Everytime I send I am asked for the password. How do I
> > > get
> > > evolution to just save the password and not bug me about having to
> > > enter it twice, several times a day?
> >
> > Evolution is a GNOME application. Is gnome-keyring(-daemon) running?
> >
> > andre
> > --
> > Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
> >

> [chris@localhost ~]$ gnome-keyring -daemon
> usage: gnome-keyring command [options]
>
> commands: certificate-exception
>           import
>           version
>
> [chris@localhost ~]$

Run 'pgrep gnome-keyring'. It should be running without you having to
start it. Evolution will cause it to run if it wasn't already.

Re: asking for password

Christopher Marlow-3
On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 00:03 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> pgrep gnome-keyring

[chris@localhost ~]$ pgrep gnome-keyring
20798

[chris@localhost ~]$

Chris
[hidden email]

Fedora
Evolution 3.36.2
POP3

Re: asking for password

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 19:15 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 00:03 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > pgrep gnome-keyring
>
> [chris@localhost ~]$ pgrep gnome-keyring
> 20798

So it's running. You can use seahorse to check that your password is
registered.

Are you using a Flatpak version of Evo?
If not, have you run gnome-control-center to set up your account(s)?

Re: asking for password

Christopher Marlow-3
On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 10:40 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 19:15 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> > On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 00:03 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > pgrep gnome-keyring
> >
> > [chris@localhost ~]$ pgrep gnome-keyring
> > 20798
>
> So it's running. You can use seahorse to check that your password is
> registered.
>
> Are you using a Flatpak version of Evo?
> If not, have you run gnome-control-center to set up your account(s)?
>
> poc

I installed seahorse and there was nothing saved in it.

No I am not running a flatpack version of evo.

I think my email provider was having problems last night and that was
the cause of my issues. It kept asking for the password over and over
and was very very very slow at sending emails.

Chris
[hidden email]

Fedora
Evolution 3.36.2
POP3

Re: asking for password

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 10:56 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> I installed seahorse and there was nothing saved in it.
>
> No I am not running a flatpack version of evo.
>
> I think my email provider was having problems last night and that was
> the cause of my issues. It kept asking for the password over and over
> and was very very very slow at sending emails.

        Hi,
try to restart evolution-source-registry and/or gnome-keyring-daemon
before that. Evolution(-data-server) doesn't talk directly to
gnome-keyring, it talks to it through libsecret. It (libsecret) can use
anything what talks on a certain D-Bus interface, not only
gnome-keyring-daemon.

Anyway, restart the gnome-keyring-daemon and then run
   $ evolution --force-shutdown
and the things should be fine again (unless some other thing is causing
trouble).

Re: asking for password

Christopher Marlow-3
On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 18:08 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 10:56 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> > I installed seahorse and there was nothing saved in it.
> >
> > No I am not running a flatpack version of evo.
> >
> > I think my email provider was having problems last night and that
> > was
> > the cause of my issues. It kept asking for the password over and
> > over
> > and was very very very slow at sending emails.
>
> Hi,
> try to restart evolution-source-registry and/or gnome-keyring-daemon
> before that. Evolution(-data-server) doesn't talk directly to
> gnome-keyring, it talks to it through libsecret. It (libsecret) can
> use
> anything what talks on a certain D-Bus interface, not only
> gnome-keyring-daemon.
>
> Anyway, restart the gnome-keyring-daemon and then run
>    $ evolution --force-shutdown
> and the things should be fine again (unless some other thing is
> causing
> trouble).

Hi Milan,

What is the command to restart gnome-keyring-daemon? Just for my
records.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
[hidden email]

Fedora
Evolution 3.34.4
POP3

Re: asking for password

Andre Klapper
On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 13:02 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> What is the command to restart gnome-keyring-daemon?

See the output of the command "gnome-keyring-daemon --help".
It lists a replace option.