bogofilter not working

Fletcher Moore
Greetings,

I'm using Evolution 3.30.5 on Pop OS (an Ubuntu variant). I installed bogofilter and evolution-bogofilter-plugin, but bogofilter appears in neither the plugin list nor the junk pane in mail preferences. Can anyone help me out? I'm drowning in spam.

Fletch

Re: bogofilter not working

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2019-03-27 at 11:54 -0400, Fletcher Moore wrote:
> I'm using Evolution 3.30.5 on Pop OS (an Ubuntu variant). I installed
> bogofilter and evolution-bogofilter-plugin, but bogofilter appears in
> neither the plugin list nor the junk pane in mail preferences. Can
> anyone help me out? I'm drowning in spam.

        Hi,
I suppose you've restarted evolution after installing that plugin. I
would also run evolution from a terminal, in case it'll show anything
useful there (like the plugin could not be loaded for whatever reason).

If properly installed, the Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences->Junk
tab contains at the end a "Junk filtering software" section, where one
can pick from his/her installed junk plugins. If there's only one such
plugin, then it can be hidden and only options for the installed plugin
are shown. Bogofilter has only one options there.

You can check whether the module is properly installed, it's when you
have
module-bogofilter.so in /usr/lib64/evolution/modules/ (maybe a little
different path, depending where your distribution stores these files).
There might be more modules, like module-mail.so.

The module searches for /usr/bin/bogofilter by default (or what the
path had been set during compile time), and when it cannot find it,
then it hides itself. The command can be overwritten in:

   $ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution.bogofilter command

(empty string means to use the compile-time default command).

On Fri, 2019-03-29 at 14:21 -0400, Fletcher Moore wrote:
> Well that's interesting. So when I run it from the commandline it
> does indeed load the plugin, while if I run it from the activities
> menu, it does not.

        Hi,
that's really interesting. Can it be the activities menu runs a
different evolution? I do not know, maybe you've installed a Flatpak
Evolution and the system-provided Evolution and the activities menu
runs the one from the Flatpak, while the command like runs the one in
the system? Try to find either evolution.desktop or
org.gnome.Evolution.desktop file and check what it references. It can
be stored either at /usr/share/applications/ or
~/.local/share/applications/, to name the two locations I'm aware of.
There can be more.

Re: bogofilter not working

Fletcher Moore
Well, I found org.gnome.Evolution.desktop in /usr/share/applications/, which contains:

+++

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Evolution
GenericName=Groupware Suite
X-GNOME-FullName=Evolution Mail and Calendar
Comment=Manage your email, contacts and schedule
Keywords=email;calendar;contact;addressbook;task;
Actions=new-window;compose;contacts;calendar;mail;memos;tasks;
Exec=evolution %U
Icon=evolution
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Office;Email;Calendar;ContactManagement;X-Red-Hat-Base;
StartupNotify=true
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=Evolution
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=BugBuddyBugs
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=3.30.x
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-OtherBinaries=evolution-addressbook-factory;evolution-calendar-factory;evolution-source-registry;evolution-user-prompter;
X-GNOME-UsesNotifications=true
MimeType=text/calendar;text/x-vcard;text/directory;application/mbox;message/rfc822;x-scheme-handler/mailto;x-scheme-handler/webcal;x-scheme-handler/calendar;x-scheme-handler/task;x-scheme-handler/memo;
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=evolution

[Desktop Action new-window]
Name=New Window
Exec=evolution -c current

[Desktop Action compose]
Name=Compose a Message
Exec=evolution mailto:

[Desktop Action contacts]
Name=Contacts
Exec=evolution -c contacts

[Desktop Action calendar]
Name=Calendar
Exec=evolution -c calendar

[Desktop Action mail]
Name=Mail
Exec=evolution -c mail

[Desktop Action memos]
Name=Memos
Exec=evolution -c memos

[Desktop Action tasks]
Name=Tasks
Exec=evolution -c tasks

+++

I thought I installed Evolution with Flatpak, but I could be mistaken. In any event I'm pretty sure it wasn't preinstalled on my system.

On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 13:42 -0400, Fletcher Moore wrote:
> I thought I installed Evolution with Flatpak, but I could be
> mistaken. In any event I'm pretty sure it wasn't preinstalled on my
> system.

        Hi,
you can check with your package manager which evolution packages you've
installed. I suppose the install of evolution-bogofilter-plugin brought
in also evolution package itself.

In case you have a Flatpak Evolution, then it makes more sense now,
because the Flatpak Evolution cannot talk to the bogofilter installed
on the host system, it doesn't have access to it. Thus it hides the
plugin in the user interface.

Re: bogofilter not working

Fletcher Moore
You've sussed it out. Well done!

So I guess I can get rid of the flatpak version and just stick with the one apt installed to go with the bogofilter plugin. Relief.

Thanks!

Fletch