can't change any preference setting

NT KC

Hi, I use Evolution 3.18.5.2 on a Debian jessy box.

Adding accounts etc. is no problem, but nearly all preference settings (eg preference -> composer preference -> format essages in html) can't be set.

Anyone any idea how to fix this ?

----/--/----

Re: can't change any preference setting

Andre Klapper
On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 18:47 +0000, NT KC wrote:
> Hi, I use Evolution 3.18.5.2 on a Debian jessy box.
> Adding accounts etc. is no problem, but nearly all preference
> settings (eg preference -> composer preference -> format essages in
> html) can't be set.
> Anyone any idea how to fix this ?

Please describe what "can't be set" means. Also, is 3.18 the default
version shipped by Debian? Have you checked the Debian bug tracker?

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: can't change any preference setting

On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 18:47 +0000, NT KC wrote:
> Hi, I use Evolution 3.18.5.2 on a Debian jessy box.
> Adding accounts etc. is no problem, but nearly all preference
> settings (eg preference -> composer preference -> format essages in
> html) can't be set.
> Anyone any idea how to fix this ?

It sounds like a permissions problem.

Run Evolution from the command line and see if there are any error
messages when you try and change those settings.

Re: can't change any preference setting

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:47:10 +0000, NT KC wrote:
>Anyone any idea how to fix this ?

sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user

Permissions of the temporary dconf file could change from user to root
permissions after e.g. running a GTK based Gnome alike editor with root
privileges.

Re: can't change any preference setting

NT KC

Hi, all thanx for the suggestions

What i meant with the problem, is that under preference i can't change anything on the "mail preference", "Composer preference" tab. Clickin a empty checkbox won't check it. If it's checked an i click on it, the check won't go away.

Run Evolution from the command line gives :
    (evolution:4537): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._g_2dfile_2derror_2dquark.Code17: Cannot open dconf database: invalid gvdb header

So the "sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user" sounds plausible, but had no effect No effect

Next i deleted all dconf i could find in my homedir, and now all works.

Thank you all

On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 07:47 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:47:10 +0000, NT KC wrote:
> > Anyone any idea how to fix this ?
>
> sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user

It's rude to not warn about the consequences of this command which are
way beyond Evolution. Please stop posting such unhelpful messages.

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 10:33:55 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
>On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 07:47 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:47:10 +0000, NT KC wrote:
>> > Anyone any idea how to fix this ?
>>
>> sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user
>
>It's rude to not warn about the consequences of this command which are
>way beyond Evolution. Please stop posting such unhelpful messages.

I'm not aware about any consequence. Deleting the tmps file shouldn't
cause any issue. I didn't recommend to delete .config/dconf/user, even
not to delete .cache/dconf/user. Actually I'm using an alias to get rid
of issues caused by an idiotic policy, shared by several apps using
dconf.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ grep dreck .bashrc
alias drecksconf='echo " $(id -un)@$(hostname): \"dconf > /dev/nirvana\""; sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user'

The only effect is, that a new temporarily file with the correct
permissions is generated and the users get rid of the issue mentioned
by the OP. What else could happen?

If you should have concerns against the wildcards on multiuser
platforms, then well, it's much unlikely that this affects the OP and an
admin should understand what 1??? is for.

On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 07:41 +0000, NT KC wrote:
> So the "sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user" sounds plausible, but had no effect No effect
>
> Next i deleted all dconf i could find in my homedir, and now all works.

Hi,

this wasn't the best thing to do, since by doing this you lost all
customized settings for all applications using dconf. Next time for
testing purpose move dconf files in home or directly just change the
owner permissions.

sudo chown $USER:$USER .config/dconf/user
sudo chown $USER:$USER .cache/dconf/user

You could use chown for the tmpfs file in /run/user/, too, but as
already pointed out, in my experiences it simply could be removed
without unwanted side effects. I still welcome an explanation from Andre
about the "the consequences" that "are way beyond Evolution", since I'm
not aware of any consequence.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: can't change any preference setting

NT KC
Hi,

I have sufficient backup if it would backfire, but agreed  the less
rigiouse solutions suggested are better/cleaner

Thnx

Den 2017-06-15 kl. 13:51, skrev Ralf Mardorf:

> On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 07:41 +0000, NT KC wrote:
>> So the "sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user" sounds plausible, but had no effect No effect
>>
>> Next i deleted all dconf i could find in my homedir, and now all works.
> Hi,
>
> this wasn't the best thing to do, since by doing this you lost all
> customized settings for all applications using dconf. Next time for
> testing purpose move dconf files in home or directly just change the
> owner permissions.
>
> sudo chown $USER:$USER .config/dconf/user
> sudo chown $USER:$USER .cache/dconf/user
>
> You could use chown for the tmpfs file in /run/user/, too, but as
> already pointed out, in my experiences it simply could be removed
> without unwanted side effects. I still welcome an explanation from Andre
> about the "the consequences" that "are way beyond Evolution", since I'm
> not aware of any consequence.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: can't change any preference setting

NT KC

I have sufficient backup if it would backfire, but agreed  the less
rigiouse solutions suggested are better/cleaner

Thnx

Den 2017-06-15 kl. 13:51, skrev Ralf Mardorf:

> On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 07:41 +0000, NT KC wrote:
>> So the "sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user" sounds plausible, but had no effect No effect
>>
>> Next i deleted all dconf i could find in my homedir, and now all works.
> Hi,
>
> this wasn't the best thing to do, since by doing this you lost all
> customized settings for all applications using dconf. Next time for
> testing purpose move dconf files in home or directly just change the
> owner permissions.
>
> sudo chown $USER:$USER .config/dconf/user
> sudo chown $USER:$USER .cache/dconf/user
>
> You could use chown for the tmpfs file in /run/user/, too, but as
> already pointed out, in my experiences it simply could be removed
> without unwanted side effects. I still welcome an explanation from Andre
> about the "the consequences" that "are way beyond Evolution", since I'm
> not aware of any consequence.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: can't change any preference setting

> this wasn't the best thing to do, since by doing this you lost all
> customized settings for all applications using dconf. Next time for
> testing purpose move dconf files in home or directly just change the
> owner permissions.
>
> sudo chown $USER:$USER .config/dconf/user
> sudo chown $USER:$USER .cache/dconf/user

I think it's unwise to give people command lines like that to enter.

First, 'sudo' is dangerous - I admin a couple of hundred user machines
where no one has sudo access. About once a week I get an alert about
someone trying to use sudo and invariably there excuse is "the
instructions on the website I found told me to use it".

Changing the ownership to $USER:$USER only works for those systems that
generate a group for each user. It is not ubiquitous.

Specifying .config/... only works if you are in your home directory. It
will fail if you are in any other directory it will fail ... with sudo,
if you are in someone elses directory, it will cause havoc.

> You could use chown for the tmpfs file in /run/user/, too, but as
> already pointed out, in my experiences it simply could be removed
> without unwanted side effects.

That you have noticed so far ...

>  I still welcome an explanation from Andre
> about the "the consequences" that "are way beyond Evolution", since I'm
> not aware of any consequence.

Everything else that uses dconf - after all it is not just Evolution
that does - will be affected by that command. Doing

  sudo rm /run/user/1???/dconf/user

will mean that you not only loose any dconf changes you have made, but
so will anyone else using the system that happens to have a uid in the
1000-1999 range.

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:27:09 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>1000-1999 range

I wrote about this already ;). In this case the context is important ;).
Deleting the tmpfs file doesn't cause issues, but indeed, on a set-up
that never ever is used by the OP, this range could cause issues. An
admin for a multi-user set-up, never ever would have asked the OP's
question, let alone that such an admin is able to understand 1???.

Don't blame me for providing a solution that usually helps people to
solve idiotic dconf issues. In this case it didn't work, since the
insane policy for some reasons seems to have infected the dconf in ~.
Yes, my bad, I should have added $HOME or ~ to the path.

Actually Evolution is using dconf, even while dconf is known for this
particular issue. Don't get me wrong, I do not run into this issue
myself, but I know it, because I help novices on several mailing lists
and I've got installs that are able to reproduce this issue + an alias
to remove the tmpfs files.

Re: can't change any preference setting

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:27:09 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>Changing the ownership to $USER:$USER only works for those systems that
>generate a group for each user. It is not ubiquitous.

True, but it shouldn't cause an issue, if there shouldn't be a group
for each individual user.

The main pitfall still is a wrong dconf policy, resp. GTK-GNOMEish
policy. I should have asked what distro the OP is using and after that
provide the required workarounds, to fix the grotesque well known dconf
issue.

On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 22:40 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:27:09 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > 1000-1999 range
>
> I wrote about this already ;). In this case the context is important ;).
> Deleting the tmpfs file doesn't cause issues, but indeed, on a set-up
> that never ever is used by the OP, this range could cause issues. An
> admin for a multi-user set-up, never ever would have asked the OP's
> question, let alone that such an admin is able to understand 1???.

I think what I was trying to get across is that the answer you give is
findable on the net - this is a Good Thing - but people will find your
answer and just try it, in the same way they will blindly try anything
else they find on the net whether it is sensible or not, without any
thought, or even knowledge, about what they are trying to do or the
consequences on their system. It's not a theoretical risk - I once got
alerted that one of my users had tried to use sudo and the command was
a very odd one - a convoluted shell script that essentially added a UID
0 user and sent the IP address of the machine to some site thus
creating a backdoor. I tackled the user about it - their exact words
were "I was looking for an answer to a problem and I found it on a
website, I have no idea what it does". It has crossed my mind to put
"sudo rm -xx /" as a bomb answer to catch people (yes, I know the
command is wrong ...).

I tend to be very conservative in giving direct answers on mailing
lists - I've been burnt a couple of times by people who are too stupid
to follow instructions and then blamed me very vocally for trashing
their system. I now "describe" what people need to do with lots of
caveats and warnings - it takes longer and is more verbose, but at
least it makes sure people are much more aware of what they are doing.

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 23:06:22 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>I think what I was trying to get across is that the answer you give is
>findable on the net

Ok, now I understand your concern. OTOH regular users on multi-user
systems shouldn't be allowed to get root privileges, this way the
owner and group of the dconf file already can't change to root in the
first place. Let alone that since there is the risk that the dconf
file could change the owner and group, usually when running a gnomeish
editor gedit, pluma etc. with root privileges, it at least should be
disabled to run such software with root privilges or it simply shouldn't
change file permissions. There's something fishy with the dconf design.
It works well for Evolution, since nobody would run Evolution as user
and sometimes with root privileges, but there are valid reasons to e.g.
run an editor sometimes with user and sometimes with root privileges.
The underlying issue might be caused by the way system variables are
handled, OTOH when I tested to change the ownership e.g. by running
pluma and gedit after a su on Arch Linux [1] and changing some
pluma and gedit settings, dconf kept the correct owner and group.
Actually I don't know how to enforce a change of owner and group
for /run/user/1???/dconf/user, let alone how to do this
for ~/.cache/dconf/user and ~/.config/dconf/user .

[1]
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ su
Password:
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# echo $USER $HOME