disabling junk plugin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

disabling junk plugin

Carl Schaefer
With 3.12.3 on Arch linux, when I mark a message as junk (or not junk)
an error box displays over part of the message pane, saying:

Error while Unknown background operation.
Failed to spawn Bogofilter (/usr/bin/bogofilter --register-spam --unicode=yes): Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/bogofilter" (No such file or directory)

I don't have Bogofilter or SpamAssassin installed, but unfortunately on
the Junk tab in Mail Preferences there is not a "none" option for "Junk
filtering software".  If I use dconf-editor to set
org.gnome.evolution.mail.junk-default-plugin to "none" the error box
stops being displayed (at least until the Junk tab is opened again, at
which point the value of junk-default-plugin resets to "Bogofilter").

Should there be a way to disable the junk plugin, even when evolution is
built to support it?  I use the Junk operation to quickly refile
messages (I process them in bulk later), so IMO it's still useful even
without a plugin.

Carl
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 19:03 -0400, Carl Schaefer wrote:

> With 3.12.3 on Arch linux, when I mark a message as junk (or not junk)
> an error box displays over part of the message pane, saying:
>
> Error while Unknown background operation.
> Failed to spawn Bogofilter (/usr/bin/bogofilter --register-spam --unicode=yes): Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/bogofilter" (No such file or directory)
>
> I don't have Bogofilter or SpamAssassin installed, but unfortunately on
> the Junk tab in Mail Preferences there is not a "none" option for "Junk
> filtering software".  If I use dconf-editor to set
> org.gnome.evolution.mail.junk-default-plugin to "none" the error box
> stops being displayed (at least until the Junk tab is opened again, at
> which point the value of junk-default-plugin resets to "Bogofilter").
>
> Should there be a way to disable the junk plugin, even when evolution is
> built to support it?  I use the Junk operation to quickly refile
> messages (I process them in bulk later), so IMO it's still useful even
> without a plugin.

Preferences->Mail Preferences->Junk->Check incoming messages for Junk.

Using the manual Junk button without having a junk processor installed
is somewhat unusual. You might consider marking messages for later
followup (Shift-Ctrl-G) or using labels.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Carl Schaefer
On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 00:35 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 19:03 -0400, Carl Schaefer wrote:
> > With 3.12.3 on Arch linux, when I mark a message as junk (or not junk)
> > an error box displays over part of the message pane, saying:
> >
> > Error while Unknown background operation.
> > Failed to spawn Bogofilter (/usr/bin/bogofilter --register-spam --unicode=yes): Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/bogofilter" (No such file or directory)
> >
> > I don't have Bogofilter or SpamAssassin installed, but unfortunately on
> > the Junk tab in Mail Preferences there is not a "none" option for "Junk
> > filtering software".  If I use dconf-editor to set
> > org.gnome.evolution.mail.junk-default-plugin to "none" the error box
> > stops being displayed (at least until the Junk tab is opened again, at
> > which point the value of junk-default-plugin resets to "Bogofilter").
> >
> > Should there be a way to disable the junk plugin, even when evolution is
> > built to support it?  I use the Junk operation to quickly refile
> > messages (I process them in bulk later), so IMO it's still useful even
> > without a plugin.
>
> Preferences->Mail Preferences->Junk->Check incoming messages for Junk.

I don't know what you mean.  I currently have that box unchecked.

> Using the manual Junk button without having a junk processor installed
> is somewhat unusual. You might consider marking messages for later
> followup (Shift-Ctrl-G) or using labels.

what I like about Ctrl-J is that messages are immediately refiled into
Junk.  I don't see a way to do that with Shift-Ctrl-G, and with labels
I'd need to apply a label (is there a shortcut for that?) and then apply
filters with Ctrl-Y to refile.

Does it seem unreasonable to have a "none" option for
junk-default-plugin?

Carl
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Pete Biggs

>
> > Using the manual Junk button without having a junk processor installed
> > is somewhat unusual. You might consider marking messages for later
> > followup (Shift-Ctrl-G) or using labels.
>
> what I like about Ctrl-J is that messages are immediately refiled into
> Junk.

What do you do with them once they are labelled as junk?

>  I don't see a way to do that with Shift-Ctrl-G, and with labels
> I'd need to apply a label (is there a shortcut for that?) and then apply
> filters with Ctrl-Y to refile.
>
> Does it seem unreasonable to have a "none" option for
> junk-default-plugin?

Yes, essentially.

The junk filter is basically a way of automatically tagging a message as
possibly being unwanted.  Pressing the junk button manually tags that
message *so that the automated junk filter can then learn what is and is
not junk*.  As such having a "none" option is fairly pointless, since
the junk button then has no purpose other than making the message
disappear.

Just do what everyone else - press the delete button if it's spam.

You should also be aware that junk/no-junk is a tag on a message and the
junk folder is a virtual folder.  A message that is tagged as junk
doesn't move anywhere, it is just hidden from view in your inbox and
displayed in the virtual junk folder instead.

P.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Carl Schaefer
On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 08:45 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> >
> > > Using the manual Junk button without having a junk processor installed
> > > is somewhat unusual. You might consider marking messages for later
> > > followup (Shift-Ctrl-G) or using labels.
> >
> > what I like about Ctrl-J is that messages are immediately refiled into
> > Junk.
>
> What do you do with them once they are labelled as junk?

forward them to KnujOn, see http://www.knujon.com/sendusspam.html

I considered installing a script to /usr/bin/bogofilter that would do
this for me, but occasionally I press ^J by accident and like the
ability to undo that.

> > I don't see a way to do that with Shift-Ctrl-G, and with labels
> > I'd need to apply a label (is there a shortcut for that?) and then apply
> > filters with Ctrl-Y to refile.
> >
> > Does it seem unreasonable to have a "none" option for
> > junk-default-plugin?
>
> Yes, essentially.
>
> The junk filter is basically a way of automatically tagging a message as
> possibly being unwanted.  Pressing the junk button manually tags that
> message *so that the automated junk filter can then learn what is and is
> not junk*.  As such having a "none" option is fairly pointless, since
> the junk button then has no purpose other than making the message
> disappear.

it makes the message disappear, and reappear in Junk, allowing me to
easily process those messages and undo any mistakes I've made.
Pointless or not, it's exactly the functionality that I want.  I guess
it's fortunate that it works as well for me as it does, in the absence
of a plugin.
Carl
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Matthew Barnes
In reply to this post by Carl Schaefer
On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 19:03 -0400, Carl Schaefer wrote:
> I don't have Bogofilter or SpamAssassin installed, but unfortunately on
> the Junk tab in Mail Preferences there is not a "none" option for "Junk
> filtering software".  If I use dconf-editor to set
> org.gnome.evolution.mail.junk-default-plugin to "none" the error box
> stops being displayed (at least until the Junk tab is opened again, at
> which point the value of junk-default-plugin resets to "Bogofilter").

It sounds to me like Arch is packaging the junk plugins wrong.

If you don't have Bogofilter or SpamAssassin installed, then the plugins
should not be installed either.  I tried to explicitly enforce this in
the source package by checking for the filtering software in the
configure script and aborting the build if it's not found.  The packager
must then decide whether to make the filtering software a requirement
for the package or to exclude the filtering plugin from the package.

But I can only do so much from the source package, and the check can be
circumvented.  Not being familiar with Arch, I don't know how to examine
their build script for Evolution (short of installing the distro) to see
how they're getting around this.

In Fedora, the filtering plugins are split into subpackages:

   evolution-bogofilter
   evolution-spamassassin

Each subpackage requires the associated filtering software.  So
installing evolution-bogofilter will automatically pull in bogofilter.

If no junk filtering plugins are installed, then no junk filtering
options are displayed in Evolution's Preferences.

Matthew Barnes

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 07:35 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> Not being familiar with Arch, I don't know how to examine
> their build script for Evolution (short of installing the distro) to
> see how they're getting around this.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAld /var/abs/extra/evolution*
drwxr-sr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun 28 00:05 /var/abs/extra/evolution
drwxr-sr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun 28 00:05 /var/abs/extra/evolution-data-server
drwxr-sr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun 28 00:05 /var/abs/extra/evolution-ews
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /var/abs/extra/evolution
total 8.0K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  346 Jun 28 00:05 evolution.install
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.6K Jun 28 00:05 PKGBUILD
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /var/abs/extra/evolution/PKGBUILD
# $Id: PKGBUILD 214778 2014-06-10 14:17:49Z jgc $
# Maintainer: Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <[hidden email]>
# Contributor: Jan de Groot <[hidden email]>

pkgname=evolution
pkgver=3.12.3
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Manage your email, contacts and schedule"
arch=(i686 x86_64)
license=(GPL)
depends=(gnome-desktop evolution-data-server gtkhtml4 libcanberra libpst libytnef psmisc
         desktop-file-utils hicolor-icon-theme dconf gtkspell3)
makedepends=(intltool itstool docbook-xsl networkmanager bogofilter spamassassin highlight)
optdepends=('bogofilter: possible junk filter plugin'
            'spamassassin: possible junk filter plugin'
            'highlight: text highlight plugin')
groups=('gnome-extra')
options=('!emptydirs')
install=evolution.install
url=https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution
source=(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/$pkgname/${pkgver:0:4}/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.xz)
sha256sums=('980988cf3d1f537102f4a3143a2c251ac812666b8f0936afd6bdde0fe5a96fea')

build() {
  cd $pkgname-$pkgver

  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
      --localstatedir=/var \
      --libexecdir=/usr/lib \
      --enable-nss=yes \
      --with-openldap=yes \
      --enable-smime=yes \
      --disable-schemas-compile
 
  sed -i -e 's/ -shared / -Wl,-O1,--as-needed\0 /g' -e 's/    if test "$export_dynamic" = yes && test -n "$export_dynamic_flag_spec"; then/      func_append compile_command " -Wl,-O1,--as-needed"\n      func_append finalize_command " -Wl,-O1,--as-needed"\n\0/' libtool

  make
}

package() {
  cd $pkgname-$pkgver
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install
}
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /var/abs/extra/evolution/evolution.install
post_install() {
  glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
  update-desktop-database -q
  gtk-update-icon-cache -q -t -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor
}

pre_upgrade() {
  if [ -f /usr/share/gconf/schemas/evolution.schemas ]; then
    gconfpkg --uninstall evolution
  fi
}

post_upgrade() {
  post_install
}

post_remove() {
  post_install
}
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /var/abs/extra/evolution-data-server/
evolution-data-server.install  PKGBUILD                      
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /var/abs/extra/evolution-data-server/PKGBUILD
# $Id: PKGBUILD 214776 2014-06-10 13:56:37Z jgc $
# Maintainer: Jan de Groot <[hidden email]>

pkgname=evolution-data-server
pkgver=3.12.3
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Centralized access to appointments and contacts"
arch=(i686 x86_64)
depends=(gnome-online-accounts nss krb5 libgweather libical db libgdata)
makedepends=(intltool gperf gobject-introspection vala python2)
install=$pkgname.install
url="https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution"
license=(GPL)
source=(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/$pkgname/${pkgver:0:4}/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.xz)
sha256sums=('342d96446a9d6bf95bb649f14738a032c1454069201b4743c806ce0d8ad9dd7b')

build() {
  cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
      --localstatedir=/var --with-openldap=yes \
      --libexecdir=/usr/lib/evolution-data-server \
      --with-krb5=/usr --with-libdb=/usr \
      --enable-vala-bindings --disable-uoa
  sed -i -e 's/ -shared / -Wl,-O1,--as-needed\0 /g' -e 's/    if test "$export_dynamic" = yes && test -n "$export_dynamic_flag_spec"; then/      func_append compile_command " -Wl,-O1,--as-needed"\n      func_append finalize_command " -Wl,-O1,--as-needed"\n\0/' libtool
  make
}

package() {
  cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install
}
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /var/abs/extra/evolution-data-server/evolution-data-server.install
post_install () {
    glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
}

post_upgrade () {
    post_install
}

post_remove () {
    post_install
}


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

G.W. Haywood
In reply to this post by Carl Schaefer
Hi there,

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014, Pete Biggs wrote:

> ... Just do what everyone else - press the delete button if it's spam. ...

Thus, of course, ensuring that everyone gets even more of it.

No, the correct response to spam is what the OP wants to do.

--

73,
Ged.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Carl Schaefer
On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 01:46 -0400, Carl Schaefer wrote:
> > Preferences->Mail Preferences->Junk->Check incoming messages for
> Junk.
>
> I don't know what you mean.  I currently have that box unchecked.

Since you have it unchecked, you apparently do know what I mean. You
just hadn't mentioned it before.

> > Using the manual Junk button without having a junk processor
> installed
> > is somewhat unusual. You might consider marking messages for later
> > followup (Shift-Ctrl-G) or using labels.
>
> what I like about Ctrl-J is that messages are immediately refiled into
> Junk.  I don't see a way to do that with Shift-Ctrl-G, and with labels
> I'd need to apply a label (is there a shortcut for that?) and then
> apply
> filters with Ctrl-Y to refile.
>
> Does it seem unreasonable to have a "none" option for
> junk-default-plugin?

Reasonableness is in the eye of the beholder. I think most people would
not think it reasonable to a a Junk plugin that did nothing. You could
always write one I suppose.

My way of hiding stuff is to turn off the automatic "mark as read"
feature, set my current view to "Unread messages" (in the Show:
drop-down menu) then to dismiss things I don't want to see using by
using Ctrl-K (or Ctrl-/ for all of them). That has the added advantage
of working across multiple clients, not all of which are Evo, something
which Ctrl-J won't do reliably as only Evo knows about its virtual
folders.

But that's just me.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Matthew Barnes
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-2
On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 15:07 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> pkgname=evolution
> pkgver=3.12.3
> pkgrel=1
> pkgdesc="Manage your email, contacts and schedule"
> arch=(i686 x86_64)
> license=(GPL)
> depends=(gnome-desktop evolution-data-server gtkhtml4 libcanberra libpst libytnef psmisc
>          desktop-file-utils hicolor-icon-theme dconf gtkspell3)
> makedepends=(intltool itstool docbook-xsl networkmanager bogofilter spamassassin highlight)
> optdepends=('bogofilter: possible junk filter plugin'
>             'spamassassin: possible junk filter plugin'
>             'highlight: text highlight plugin')
> groups=('gnome-extra')
> options=('!emptydirs')
> install=evolution.install
> url=https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution
> source=(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/$pkgname/${pkgver:0:4}/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.xz)
> sha256sums=('980988cf3d1f537102f4a3143a2c251ac812666b8f0936afd6bdde0fe5a96fea')

Thanks, that shows the problem.

The filtering software is mandatory at build-time ("makedepends"), so
the filtering plugins are installed unconditionally.

But then they make the filtering software that the plugins depend on
optional ("optdepends"), which circumvents the build-time checks and
leaves the plugins in a possibly invalid state.

If the plugins are installed unconditionally then the filtering software
must be installed unconditionally.

Matthew Barnes

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Carl Schaefer
In reply to this post by Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 14:21 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 01:46 -0400, Carl Schaefer wrote:
> > > Preferences->Mail Preferences->Junk->Check incoming messages for
> > Junk.
> >
> > I don't know what you mean.  I currently have that box unchecked.
>
> Since you have it unchecked, you apparently do know what I mean.

yes, I'm sure you're right about that...  :-)

> > > Using the manual Junk button without having a junk processor
> > installed
> > > is somewhat unusual. You might consider marking messages for later
> > > followup (Shift-Ctrl-G) or using labels.
> >
> > what I like about Ctrl-J is that messages are immediately refiled into
> > Junk.  I don't see a way to do that with Shift-Ctrl-G, and with labels
> > I'd need to apply a label (is there a shortcut for that?) and then
> > apply
> > filters with Ctrl-Y to refile.
> >
> > Does it seem unreasonable to have a "none" option for
> > junk-default-plugin?
>
> Reasonableness is in the eye of the beholder. I think most people would
> not think it reasonable to have a Junk plugin that did nothing.

I see it not as a plugin that does nothing, but configuring Evolution to
not invoke a plugin, while still continuing to do the other stuff that
Ctrl-J does.

Carl

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

Carl Schaefer
In reply to this post by Matthew Barnes
On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 07:35 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 19:03 -0400, Carl Schaefer wrote:
> > I don't have Bogofilter or SpamAssassin installed, but unfortunately on
> > the Junk tab in Mail Preferences there is not a "none" option for "Junk
> > filtering software".  If I use dconf-editor to set
> > org.gnome.evolution.mail.junk-default-plugin to "none" the error box
> > stops being displayed (at least until the Junk tab is opened again, at
> > which point the value of junk-default-plugin resets to "Bogofilter").
>
> It sounds to me like Arch is packaging the junk plugins wrong.

I agree, I'll submit an Arch packaging bug.

I still think it makes sense for a system to have the junk plugins
installed, while allowing individual users to choose whether or not to
invoke one as part of what happens on Ctrl-J.

thanks for all the response...
Carl
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disabling junk plugin

David Woodhouse
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 08:45 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
> > > Using the manual Junk button without having a junk processor installed
> > > is somewhat unusual. You might consider marking messages for later
> > > followup (Shift-Ctrl-G) or using labels.
> >
> > what I like about Ctrl-J is that messages are immediately refiled into
> > Junk.
>
> What do you do with them once they are labelled as junk?

Run a script which processes the IMAP mailbox looking for Junk and
NotJunk flags, and feeds them as training input to the spam filter.

However, the UI for this is horrid because although marking things as
NotJunk behaves sanely, the messages disappear as soon as I hit Ctrl-J
to mark them as junk, destroying my concentration and losing my place in
the list as I'm scanning down it.

You can disable that obnoxious behaviour for messages marked for
deletion, so that it just shows the messages with strikethrough. But
AFAICT there's no way to disable it for messages marked as Junk.

--
dwmw2

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment