encrypt if possible

Lukas Pirl
Dear all,

(how) can Evolution (be configured to) always encrypt emails if the
recipients' public keys are available?

There is an option to "always encrypt", but I don't have/want/need the
public keys of most of my contacts (and most of them have none anyway). If
that option is enabled, I get an error message every time sending an email to
a contact for which no public key is available. From my expectations, this is
correct behavior.

However, what I'd also expect is the availability of an option saying "always
encrypt emails when sending to contacts for which public keys are available".
Can this be achieved?

Thanks in advance and best,

Lukas

Re: encrypt if possible

Zan Lynx
On 5/6/19 12:48 PM, Lukas Pirl wrote:
> However, what I'd also expect is the availability of an option saying "always
> encrypt emails when sending to contacts for which public keys are available".
> Can this be achieved?

Thunderbird does that. But I turned it off. You may not want to do it
either.

It turns out that most people I have GPG keys available for would rather
be able to read their email through a web interface than be secure. They
only use it for sending passwords and such like.

--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil

Re: encrypt if possible

On Mon, 2019-05-06 at 20:48 +0200, Lukas Pirl wrote:
> (how) can Evolution (be configured to) always encrypt emails if the
> recipients' public keys are available?

        Hi,
evolution cannot be configured to do that. I'd not do any such option,
either you want to send a secure mail or you do not. Once sending a
mail securely and once not feels wrong. And what in cases where you
send to multiple recipients and one of them doesn't have the public
key? Splitting the message and send it encrypted to some recipients and
unencrypted to other recipients feels like bad idea, thus there would
be "all or nothing", which is bad too, especially if you agreed with
the other recipients to always encrypt messages.

The way it is done currently is that you've the things under control,
you always know whether the message had been sent encrypted or not. I
prefer to have things under my control, without surprises and such.

Re: encrypt if possible

Ángel González

The problem is, you need to send so many mails in the clear, you end up
with a default of not encrypting any.
I do think this option would be useful. I agree that selecting such
middle-ground in the menu when composing a mail makes little sense (it
may fit with other autocrypt-related changes, though) but IMHO makes
perfect sense for an account default.

> And what in cases where you send to multiple recipients and one of
> them doesn't have the public key?

IMHO you should send it in the clear. This is opportunistic encryption.
Half-encrypting the mail seems more confusing than "Sorry, it couldn't be
sent encrypted while also sending it to John"

> especially if you agreed with the other recipients to always encrypt messages.

I think that should be a setting for the Contact (like "wants HTML"), that
(independently to this proposed setting) could trigger an alert if sending in plain
to a contact marked as "always send encrypted" (not sure if it should also change
automatically a plaintext default if sending to contacts with that tag and
for which we have a key).

Best regards