evolution 3.18.5.2 starts offline

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

I am unable to find why evolution began starting offline with the following error:

camel-WARNING **: Failed to initialize NSS SQL database in sql:/etc/pki/nssdb: NSS error -8126

I have made it start online with:

GIO_USE_NETWORK_MONITOR=base evolution

and

evolution --force-online

but the underlying problem is not resolve and evolution continues to start offline.

Anything I missed?

Re: evolution 3.18.5.2 starts offline

Tim Wescott
This is happening to me, too, and the same "fix" works.  Same version.
 It just happened, apparently coincident with changing my computer to a
fixed IP address -- but no other networking was broken.

Has a bug report been filed?

On Mon, 2016-11-28 at 15:45 -0700, Security Guy via evolution-list
wrote:

> camel-WARNING **: Failed to initialize NSS SQL database in
> sql:/etc/pki/nssdb: NSS error -8126
>
> I have made it start online with:
>
> GIO_USE_NETWORK_MONITOR=base evolution
>
> and
>
> evolution --force-online
>
> but the underlying problem is not resolve and evolution continues to
> start offline.
>
> Anything I missed?

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Control & Communications systems, circuit & software design.
Phone: 503.631.7815
Cell:  503.349.8432

Re: evolution 3.18.5.2 starts offline

Tim,

I didn't pursue the problem so didn't report a bug.

I was assessing whether evolution on linux was a viable replacement for Outlook on Windows and as of this time, it isn't viable for my needs.

wrote:

> camel-WARNING **: Failed to initialize NSS SQL database in
> sql:/etc/pki/nssdb: NSS error -8126
>
> I have made it start online with:
>
> GIO_USE_NETWORK_MONITOR=base evolution
>
> and
>
> evolution --force-online
>
> but the underlying problem is not resolve and evolution continues to
> start offline.
>
> Anything I missed?

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Control & Communications systems, circuit & software design.
Phone: 503.631.7815
Cell:  503.349.8432

Re: evolution 3.18.5.2 starts offline

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2016-12-25 at 15:04 -0700, Sec_Guy_32 via evolution-list wrote:
> Tim,
> I didn't pursue the problem so didn't report a bug.
> I was assessing whether evolution on linux was a viable replacement for Outlook on Windows and as of this time, it isn't viable for my needs.

If you explain what your needs are and how Evolution fails to meet them
it would be helpful for future development.

Re: evolution 3.18.5.2 starts offline

On Sun, 2016-12-25 at 15:04 -0700, Sec_Guy_32 via evolution-list wrote:
> I didn't pursue the problem so didn't report a bug.

        Hi,
there is was a bug and the current stable version (which is 3.22.3,
not 3.18.5.2, which had been released on 2016-03-14, which is almost
8 months ago) and the current stable version contains a workaround for
systems/hardware, where the network settings are not properly
recognized by a GNetworkManager, eventually kernel (the environment
variable GIO_USE_NETWORK_MONITOR you cited influences how the glib2's
GNetworkMonitor should detect connection state and the evolution relies
on the GNetworkMonitor notifications).

> I was assessing whether evolution on linux was a viable replacement
> for Outlook on Windows and as of this time, it isn't viable for my
> needs.

As outlined above, you use a very old version. Maybe the current stable
version would make a difference for you.

I also agree with Patrick, sharing what does work for you (with
the current stable version, not an outdated distribution) would help
to address those issues eventually, for you and for the others.