evolution-3.24.4-1.fc26.x86_64 starts with initial wizard

evolution-3.24.4-1.fc26.x86_64 starts with initial wizard

Wolfram Wagner
Hi,
I am using evolution for many years now and could solve a lot of mostly self inflicted issues by myself. But this time I need your help.

Maybe a lot of the following is unrelated, but its my today's history.

I am running fedora 26 under cinnamon. Today evolution has worked as usual before all that. I was trying to improve the time I need to login to my account. So I renamed my home dir and created another empty one. I logged in one time, it was quite fast. I logged off.
Then I moved the new initial home dir away and my old one back into place. I logged in, it was slow again. I did not try to open evolution.

So I looked around and found this file: .local/share/cinnamon/application_state
I found several old session states in it. So I removed them manually, while being logged out. Evolution had this entry
<application id="evolution.desktop" open-window-count="1" score="4707.4679660797119" last-seen="1382464923"/>
I did also some other hopefully unrelated things, like removing the network manager icon.

My evolution data is seemingly still there. I looks like my environment has reset itself and forgot the existing data. When I start evolution it starts the new user wizard.

I have a working file backup in place. I just have no idea which files I need to restore.
I have also found this page: https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html.de
But the data there seem to be alright.

Please help! Thank you in advance!
Wolfram

Re: evolution-3.24.4-1.fc26.x86_64 starts with initial wizard

Wolfram Wagner
I am back, I was able to find out, that my dconf (.conf/dconf/user)
file was the reason. I replaced it "logged out" with the file from the
backup and everything is back.
I still wonder how I managed to reset dconf, but anyway, this issue is
fixed...
Wolfram

Am Sonntag, den 06.08.2017, 23:42 +0200 schrieb Wolfram Wagner:

> Hi,
> I am using evolution for many years now and could solve a lot of
> mostly self inflicted issues by myself. But this time I need your
> help.
>
> Maybe a lot of the following is unrelated, but its my today's
> history.
>
> I am running fedora 26 under cinnamon. Today evolution has worked as
> usual before all that. I was trying to improve the time I need to
> login to my account. So I renamed my home dir and created another
> empty one. I logged in one time, it was quite fast. I logged off.
> Then I moved the new initial home dir away and my old one back into
> place. I logged in, it was slow again. I did not try to open
> evolution.
>
> So I looked around and found this file:
> .local/share/cinnamon/application_state
> I found several old session states in it. So I removed them manually,
> while being logged out. Evolution had this entry
> <application id="evolution.desktop" open-window-count="1"
> score="4707.4679660797119" last-seen="1382464923"/>
> I did also some other hopefully unrelated things, like removing the
> network manager icon.
>
> My evolution data is seemingly still there. I looks like my
> environment has reset itself and forgot the existing data. When I
> start evolution it starts the new user wizard.
>
> I have a working file backup in place. I just have no idea which
> files I need to restore.
> I have also found this page: https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/s
> table/data-storage.html.de
> But the data there seem to be alright.
>
> Please help! Thank you in advance!
> Wolfram

Re: evolution-3.24.4-1.fc26.x86_64 starts with initial wizard

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-08-07 at 00:16 +0200, Wolfram Wagner wrote:
> I still wonder how I managed to reset dconf, but anyway, this issue
> is fixed...

        Hi,
I wouldn't be surprised if it's about background processes being stale,
like from the previous login session. It doesn't apply only to D-Conf,
but to anything from GNOME Online Accounts down to evolution-data-
server background processes. There could happen in the past that the
process wasn't closed on log out, which made things misbehave. I do not
know the state of the issue at the moment, it was like 6 months ago (in
previous version). Maybe it's it. Maybe not.

Re: evolution-3.24.4-1.fc26.x86_64 starts with initial wizard

Wolfram Wagner
Hi,
indeed, when I fixed it yesterday, my first attempt to restore the .config/dconf/user file failed and ended in having another file similar in size to the one, I tried to replace.
I tried to do this again and before I did it, I tried ps -ef | grep <username> and found three hanging evolution processes.
So I killed them and replaced the file again. Additionally I did a 'touch .config/dconf/user' to update the timestamp of the file.
After the next Login, all my settings came back.

So your guess might have been right. Very likely I managed to produce this hanging session. Luky who has a backup...

Thanks!
Wolfram