evolution for office 365 mfa

The organization i work for has forced on us office 365 multi factor
authentication.  In addition to outlook duo they are supporting
evolution and have setup a tenant and application id for it.

What i really want is to use those with my mutt email client,
but that may not be possible or at least is not easy.

While that is stewing, here are several scenarios for using evolution:

1.  run evolution via a CLI (command line interface) / TUI (textual user
interface) from a terminal ssh-ed to a:
Linux login0 3.10.0-1062.18.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 12 14:08:31 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.7 (Maipo)
# GNOME Terminal 3.28.2 using VTE 0.52.2 +GNUTLS
(the last just to show the gnome version; no GUI stuff is highly preferred)
No root access on this machine.

2.  run evolution as a CLI/TUI from a terminal window of a macOS 10.14.6.
This happens to have Fink 0.42.0; an oldie used to install some software.

3.  run evolution in a minimal GUI mode on a macOS 10.14.6.  I only want to
read/write email; I don't care about calendars or other stuff.

4.  run evolution in a minimal GUI mode on above linux.

Which of these are tractable ?  What will be the easiest to get going ?

I note that https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/
does not contain the word 'client'.  Presumably evolution 3.36.x
or plain evolution.git is where i should start ?
Apologies for not reading your documentation.  Is there a quick start
for installing and using in a basic email client mode ?

thanks,
scott

Re: evolution for office 365 mfa

Andre Klapper
On Thu, 2020-06-11 at 17:45 -0400, Scott Brozell via evolution-list
wrote:

> While that is stewing, here are several scenarios for using evolution:
>
> 1.  run evolution via a CLI (command line interface) / TUI (textual user
> interface) from a terminal ssh-ed to a:
> Linux login0 3.10.0-1062.18.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 12 14:08:31 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.7 (Maipo)
> # GNOME Terminal 3.28.2 using VTE 0.52.2 +GNUTLS
> (the last just to show the gnome version; no GUI stuff is highly preferred)
> No root access on this machine.
>

> 2.  run evolution as a CLI/TUI from a terminal window of a macOS 10.14.6.
> This happens to have Fink 0.42.0; an oldie used to install some software.
>

> 3.  run evolution in a minimal GUI mode on a macOS 10.14.6.  I only want to
> read/write email; I don't care about calendars or other stuff.
>

> 4.  run evolution in a minimal GUI mode on above linux.
>
> Which of these are tractable ?  What will be the easiest to get going ?
>

> I note that https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/
> does not contain the word 'client'.

That's because there is no remote Evolution 'server' part, I guess.

> Presumably evolution 3.36.x
> or plain evolution.git is where i should start ?
> Apologies for not reading your documentation.  Is there a quick start
> for installing and using in a basic email client mode ?

Evolution is a graphical email client (or "mail user agent"), primarily
for Linux based systems. It depends on several libraries such as GTK or
evolution-data-server installed and running on the very same system.

Installation procedures for packages depend on your distribution.
Compiling and installing manually is covered on
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution#Developer_Resources