evolution

Marcin Kozyra

How would I go about moving email accounts with passwords to new computer? Restoring backup is not working for me.

Using fedora 26.

Thank you in advance,
Marcin

Re: evolution

Andre Klapper
On Wed, 2017-07-19 at 11:17 -0500, Marcin Kozyra wrote:
> How would I go about moving email accounts with passwords to new
> computer? Restoring backup is not working for me.

Why not?
What happens and when?
What does not happen?
What's the error message?
How large is your backup file?
Which Evolution version did you use on the old machine?

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: evolution

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Wed, 2017-07-19 at 11:17 -0500, Marcin Kozyra wrote:
> How would I go about moving email accounts with passwords to new
> computer? Restoring backup is not working for me.

Hi,

what exactly isn't working, resp. what errors do you get?

> Using fedora 26.

What version of Evolution did you use on the old computer and what
version of Evolution do you use to restore from the backup? IIUC you
tried to use "File > Restore Evolution Data..." or did you restore from
a /home/$USER backup?

Regards,
Ralf

Re: evolution

On Thu, 2017-07-20 at 12:45 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-07-19 at 11:17 -0500, Marcin Kozyra wrote:
> > How would I go about moving email accounts with passwords to new
> > computer? Restoring backup is not working for me.
>
> Why not?
> What happens and when?
> What does not happen?
> What's the error message?
> How large is your backup file?
> Which Evolution version did you use on the old machine?

Also, what kind of mail account(s)? POP? IMAP? Exchange?

Re: evolution

Zan Lynx
On 7/19/2017 10:17 AM, Marcin Kozyra wrote:

> How would I go about moving email accounts with passwords to new
> computer? Restoring backup is not working for me.
>
> Using fedora 26.

I believe passwords are stored in the Gnome keyring. By default they are
decrypted with the login password.

The keyring files are stored in either ~/.gnome2/keyrings or in later
versions like Fedora 26 in ~/.local/share/keyrings. So you might need to
move the files if you're restoring from a very old backup.

Email accounts are in ~/.config/evolution, I am pretty sure. Really old
versions may have it in .evolution or .gnome2/evolution, I don't recall
exactly.

If you used Gnome Online Accounts to set them up, be careful. A while
ago I ended up with duplicated email accounts because the hostname of my
laptop changed so GOA decided to rebuild new copies of all of the
accounts. I had to delete and recreate all of the accounts.

I did file a bug so it may have been fixed. I never checked since
building new copies of everything Gnome and doing test restores of
backup copies to new machines with different names really didn't appeal
to me.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil