evolution will not start again after update

evolution will not start again after update

Benoit LANGLAIS
hello folks,

I updated some days ago evolution and evolution-data-server to the
latest 3.12.11 version as shown below:

Transaction performed with:
     Installed     rpm-4.11.3-17.el7.x86_64
@base/$releasever
     Installed     yum-3.4.3-132.el7.centos.0.1.noarch
@base/$releasever
     Installed     yum-metadata-parser-1.1.4-10.el7.x86_64
@base/$releasever
     Installed     yum-plugin-fastestmirror-1.1.31-34.el7.noarch
@base/$releasever
Packages Altered:
     Updated evolution-3.12.11-15.el7.x86_64             @base
     Update            3.12.11-22.el7.x86_64             @base
     Updated evolution-data-server-3.12.11-24.el7.x86_64
@base/$releasever
     Update                        3.12.11-37.el7.x86_64 @base

(I am using a centos el7 distrib)

Since this update I am not able to use evolution anymore. Whenever I
start it from a xterm I got the following message

evolution :

** (evolution:31412): CRITICAL **: categories_icon_theme_hack: assertion
'filename != NULL && *filename != '\0'' failed

(evolution:31412): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
openjdk version "1.8.0_102"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_102-b14)

(evolution:31412): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

** (evolution:31412): WARNING **:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files

The icon appears correctly in my iconbox (I'm using fvwm2) but I can not
make it active or anything. And I have no other choice than a kill
command to kill it.

any ideas, or better, any help to sort this out would be appreciated!

Regards

Benoit

Re: evolution will not start again after update

Pete Biggs

> Since this update I am not able to use evolution anymore. Whenever I
> start it from a xterm I got the following message
>
> evolution :
>
> ** (evolution:31412): CRITICAL **: categories_icon_theme_hack: assertion
> 'filename != NULL && *filename != '\0'' failed

If this is indeed the critical error that's causing your problem, then
it might be an idea to change the icon theme to see if that sorts it.

Other than that, you might (temporarily) try using a different window
manager than fvwm2 - preferably Gnome.  If you don't want to do things
with your main account, create a new Linux user and experiment with
that. That will, hopefully, isolate the problem to either Evolution
itself or to the environment it's operating in.

On Mon, 2017-02-27 at 14:41 +0100, Benoit LANGLAIS wrote:
> The icon appears correctly in my iconbox (I'm using fvwm2) but I can not
> make it active or anything. And I have no other choice than a kill
> command to kill it.
>
> any ideas, or better, any help to sort this out would be appreciated!

        Hi,
apart of what Pete said, with which I agree, install debuginfo for the
evolution and evolution-data-server, then get the backtrace of the
stuck evolution to see what it does/tries to do. Make sure the version
of the debuginfo packages match the version of the main/binary
packages. You can get the backtrace with command like this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).