ews - Global Address List

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Evolution v3.36.5 on openSuSE Tumbleweed, using evolution-ews with Exchange server

I have a problem understanding how fetching the GAL works. I have two machines with identical setup. The Exchange account is setup with the help of GOA (gnome online accounts) with mail, calendar, and contacts set to active. On one machine the complete list of about 150 users in my organization is shown. On the other machine it shows only like 20 of them (looks like a range of consecutive names of the middle of the list) . As soon as I start searching a particular name I get a hit, and from that moment in time this very contact ist also shown in the list.

What could be the reason for the two machines behaving so differently? I was expecting the whole list is coming up in both cases. Is there some caching involved? If so, could I somehow reset that cache? What is your advice to investigate deeper?

Re: ews - Global Address List

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-11-11 at 23:46 +0100, Ford Prefect via evolution-list
wrote:
> What could be the reason for the two machines behaving so
> differently?

        Hi,
you are right that the shown contacts are those, which you searched for
before. It works this way, because you've disabled offline GAL. Go to
Properties of the EWS' mail account and check whether the OAB URL is
filled - that tells evo-ews where the Offline Address Book (OAB) is. If
not, try to press the Fetch URL button, which can fill it. Then, in the
Receiving Options tab, you can select to use Offline Global Address
List. Once you enable it nad pick the one you want to use, restart the
evolution-addressbook-factory process, to have the option fully
propagated in the backend. The easiest might be by running:

   $ evolution --force-shutdown

Since then, once evolution-ews downloads the offline GAL, you'll see
all the contacts in it.

The reasons why not to enable offline GAL by default are:
a) the OAB URL might not be always known
b) the offline GAL can be quite large.
Hence there's used the online searching with a view on the recently
searched for contacts.

Re: ews - Global Address List

On Thu, 2020-11-12 at 09:10 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-11-11 at 23:46 +0100, Ford Prefect via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > What could be the reason for the two machines behaving so
> > differently?
>
>         Hi,
> you are right that the shown contacts are those, which you searched for
> before. It works this way, because you've disabled offline GAL. Go to
> Properties of the EWS' mail account and check whether the OAB URL is
> filled - that tells evo-ews where the Offline Address Book (OAB) is. If
> not, try to press the Fetch URL button, which can fill it. Then, in the
> Receiving Options tab, you can select to use Offline Global Address
> List. Once you enable it nad pick the one you want to use, restart the
> evolution-addressbook-factory process, to have the option fully
> propagated in the backend. The easiest might be by running:

On my O365 account I tried in Offline GAL a Fetch List and got this:
Failed to locate offline address books.

The reported error was “2000008;reason="The token contains no permissions, or permissions can not be understood.";error_category="invalid_grant"”.

Normal ?

Re: ews - Global Address List

Thanks for your reply, Milan.

I was not able to find anything like the OAB URL in the properties. Anyway, there is a checkbox to enable storing the GAL for offline use. Did that, and voila ... after a restart the list was fully populated! The GAL for our organization is not too big, so it is not a big deal to keep it that way.

Tonight I'm going to check this on the second machine I mentioned.

wrote:
[...]

On Thu, 2020-11-12 at 12:03 +0100, Ford Prefect via evolution-list
wrote:
> I was not able to find anything like the OAB URL in the properties.

        Hi,
it's on the other tab, on the Receiving Email tab, just below the Host
URL, where you filled the Exchange server URL, and beside which is the
Fetch URL button.

You seem to have filled it, otherwise the Offline GAL won't work.

Re: ews - Global Address List

On Thu, 2020-11-12 at 10:31 +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> The reported error was “2000008;reason="The token contains no
> permissions, or permissions can not be
> understood.";error_category="invalid_grant"”.
>

> Normal ?

        Hi,
unfortunately yes, normal. The autodiscover and OAuth2 do not play well
together. I do not know whether you've forced OAuth2 by the admins, but
it would be interesting to know whether the Fetch URL will work, when
you change the authentication method to NTLM or even Basic. You do not
need to confirm the change, you can do it only temporarily and then
cancel the changes.

Eventually, the OAuth2 application (on the Azure server) would need to
have added certain scope(s) to make it work.