exporting mails to txt or pdf

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

exporting mails to txt or pdf

Joao Ferreira gmail
Hello all,

I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).

The thing is that I want to archive them in a CD and be able to read
them later (without the need to have Evolution installed)

Is this possible ?

Thank you
Joao


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Andre Klapper
On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:04 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).

Emails *are* text so that is not really an "external" format.
"File > Print" provides printing to "pdf" format.
"doc" format also needs some random application to be installed in order
to read it, so nothing gained compared to keeping as is.

andre
--
mailto:[hidden email] | failed
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Adam Tauno Williams
In reply to this post by Joao Ferreira gmail
On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:04 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).

You could create a new MBOX type account, copy the messages to that
account [file] and then backup/archive that file.  Any and every mail
client can read or import MBOX files.

Also it might be simpler to produce some type of external representation
as any scripting language can also read an MBOX file.



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Sylvia Sánchez
In reply to this post by Andre Klapper

Andre, is true that they are text but aren't accesible to common user.  He wants to read them independently from mail client and, instead of printing them  (what is very bad to ecology),  he wants to export them to a file format as pdf or txt.
What is wrong about this?
Joao, I can remember that there's a way to export them but is via command line.  I don't remember exactly what command is but it has to be on the Help files or site.


Regards,
Lailah



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (501 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Milan Crha
In reply to this post by Joao Ferreira gmail
On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:04 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
> ...
> Is this possible ?

        Hi,
it depends on your version. Since 3.4.x you can set evolution to export
messages as PDF when you drag&drop them to Nautilus (or such), instead
of dropping them as mbox. You can do that with command:
   $ gconftool-2 --set --type=string /apps/evolution/mail/mail/save_file_format pdf

This key had been moved to gsettings for 3.6.x, thus the command is:
   $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail drag-and-drop-save-file-format 'pdf'

        Hope it helps,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Andre Klapper
In reply to this post by Sylvia Sánchez
On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 12:22 -0300, Lailah wrote:
>
> Andre, is true that they are text but aren't accesible to common
> user.  
> He wants to read them independently from mail client

Current format IS totally independent from mail client. SO you can use
ANY mail client that supports maildir to read them.

>  and, instead of printing them  (what is very bad to ecology),  he
> wants to export them to a file format as pdf or txt.
> What is wrong about this?

Don't know - I didn't state that something is wrong.

andre
--
mailto:[hidden email] | failed
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Thomas Prost
In reply to this post by Joao Ferreira gmail
Am Dienstag, den 19.06.2012, 14:04 +0100 schrieb Joao Ferreira Gmail:
> Hello all,
>
> I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
>
> The thing is that I want to archive them in a CD and be able to read
> them later (without the need to have Evolution installed)
>
> Is this possible ?

Isn't CTRL+S still actual for that purpose ?
--
Thomas Prost <[hidden email]>
ProstsInfo

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Matthias Apitz
El día Friday, October 05, 2012 a las 12:31:36AM +0200, Thomas Prost escribió:

> Am Dienstag, den 19.06.2012, 14:04 +0100 schrieb Joao Ferreira Gmail:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> > export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
> >
> > The thing is that I want to archive them in a CD and be able to read
> > them later (without the need to have Evolution installed)
> >
> > Is this possible ?
>
> Isn't CTRL+S still actual for that purpose ?

In my evo 2.30.x the mail folder are in format of mbox (with additional
files for index etc.); mbox you can read with a lot of other MUA.

        matthias

--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: www.asciiribbon.org
E-mail: [hidden email]     |  \ / - No HTML/RTF in E-mail
WWW: http://www.unixarea.de/ |   X  - No proprietary attachments
phone: +49-170-4527211       |  / \ - Respect for open standards
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Thomas Prost
Am Samstag, den 06.10.2012, 08:40 +0200 schrieb Matthias Apitz:

> El día Friday, October 05, 2012 a las 12:31:36AM +0200, Thomas Prost escribió:
>
> > Am Dienstag, den 19.06.2012, 14:04 +0100 schrieb Joao Ferreira Gmail:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> > > export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
> > >
> > > The thing is that I want to archive them in a CD and be able to read
> > > them later (without the need to have Evolution installed)
> > >
> > > Is this possible ?
> >
> > Isn't CTRL+S still actual for that purpose ?
>
> In my evo 2.30.x the mail folder are in format of mbox (with additional
> files for index etc.); mbox you can read with a lot of other MUA.

... and what you see when opening it with (maybe) gedit ?
--
Thomas Prost <[hidden email]>
ProstsInfo

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Matthias Apitz
El día Saturday, October 06, 2012 a las 02:09:32PM +0200, Thomas Prost escribió:

> > In my evo 2.30.x the mail folder are in format of mbox (with additional
> > files for index etc.); mbox you can read with a lot of other MUA.
>
> ... and what you see when opening it with (maybe) gedit ?

with gedit you will not have much fun, already because of (encoded)
attachments; but you can open the mbox files with any MUA which is able
to open 'mbox' files, like 'mutt'; you do for example:

$ cd ~/.evolution/mail/local
$ mutt -f Inbox

and can read the mails and/or attachments.

HIH

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: www.asciiribbon.org
E-mail: [hidden email]     |  \ / - No HTML/RTF in E-mail
WWW: http://www.unixarea.de/ |   X  - No proprietary attachments
phone: +49-170-4527211       |  / \ - Respect for open standards
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Tom Davies
In reply to this post by Joao Ferreira gmail

--- On Sun, 7/10/12, Matthias Apitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

From: Matthias Apitz <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Evolution] exporting mails to txt or pdf
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sunday, 7 October, 2012, 9:52

El día Saturday, October 06, 2012 a las 02:09:32PM +0200, Thomas Prost escribió:

> > In my evo 2.30.x the mail folder are in format of mbox (with additional
> > files for index etc.); mbox you can read with a lot of other MUA.
>
> ... and what you see when opening it with (maybe) gedit ?

with gedit you will not have much fun, already because of (encoded)
attachments; but you can open the mbox files with any MUA which is able
to open 'mbox' files, like 'mutt'; you do for example:

$ cd ~/.evolution/mail/local
$ mutt -f Inbox

and can read the mails and/or attachments.

HIH

    matthias




Hi :)
How about using LibreOffice in headless mode?  There is bound to be some other program or even a utility that can convert files to pdf but LibreOffice might be useful for other things too.
Regards from
Tom :)  
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Adam Tauno Williams
In reply to this post by Milan Crha
On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 08:37 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:04 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> > I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> > export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
> > ...
> > Is this possible ?
> This key had been moved to gsettings for 3.6.x, thus the command is:
>    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail drag-and-drop-save-file-format 'pdf'

This would be awesome!  But I set this setting and drag a message to
nautilus -- I just get a zero sized .pdf file.

evolution-3.6.3-1.2.1.x86_64


--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383
Systems Administrator, Python Developer, LPI / NCLA

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Adam Tauno Williams
On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:37 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 08:37 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:04 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> > > I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> > > export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
> > > ...
> > > Is this possible ?
> > This key had been moved to gsettings for 3.6.x, thus the command is:
> >    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail drag-and-drop-save-file-format 'pdf'
> This would be awesome!  But I set this setting and drag a message to
> nautilus -- I just get a zero sized .pdf file.
> evolution-3.6.3-1.2.1.x86_64

I've duplicated this behavior - 0 size PDF file - on three boxes.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Adam Tauno Williams
On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 19:58 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:37 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 08:37 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:04 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> > > > I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> > > > export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
> > > > ...
> > > > Is this possible ?
> > > This key had been moved to gsettings for 3.6.x, thus the command is:
> > >    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail drag-and-drop-save-file-format 'pdf'
> > This would be awesome!  But I set this setting and drag a message to
> > nautilus -- I just get a zero sized .pdf file.
> > evolution-3.6.3-1.2.1.x86_64
> I've duplicated this behavior - 0 size PDF file - on three boxes.

And it persists on evolution-3.8.0 [openSUSE 12.3 w/GNOME 3.8],  I just
get a dot-pdf file that is zero sized.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Reid Thompson
On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 05:38 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 19:58 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:37 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 08:37 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > > > On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:04 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> > > > > I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> > > > > export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
> > > > > ...
> > > > > Is this possible ?
> > > > This key had been moved to gsettings for 3.6.x, thus the command is:
> > > >    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail drag-and-drop-save-file-format 'pdf'
> > > This would be awesome!  But I set this setting and drag a message to
> > > nautilus -- I just get a zero sized .pdf file.
> > > evolution-3.6.3-1.2.1.x86_64
> > I've duplicated this behavior - 0 size PDF file - on three boxes.
>
> And it persists on evolution-3.8.0 [openSUSE 12.3 w/GNOME 3.8],  I just
> get a dot-pdf file that is zero sized.
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

It appears this may be a timing issue???.  On git head...
if I drag and drop, then I get a zero sized file.  IF I drag and drop
again, w/o removing the zero sized file, then i get a popup asking if I
want to overwrite the existing file; answering yes gets me a valid pdf
of the email

reid

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Adam Tauno Williams
In reply to this post by Adam Tauno Williams
On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 05:38 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 19:58 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:37 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 08:37 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > > > On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:04 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> > > > > I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> > > > > export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
> > > > > ...
> > > > > Is this possible ?
> > > > This key had been moved to gsettings for 3.6.x, thus the command is:
> > > >    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail drag-and-drop-save-file-format 'pdf'
> > > This would be awesome!  But I set this setting and drag a message to
> > > nautilus -- I just get a zero sized .pdf file.
> > > evolution-3.6.3-1.2.1.x86_64
> > I've duplicated this behavior - 0 size PDF file - on three boxes.
> And it persists on evolution-3.8.0 [openSUSE 12.3 w/GNOME 3.8],  I just
> get a dot-pdf file that is zero sized.

Filed a bug.


<https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700028>

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Adam Tauno Williams
On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 12:57 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 05:38 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 19:58 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 13:37 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > > On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 08:37 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> > > > > On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:04 +0100, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
> > > > > > I have an Evolution mail folder with lots of e-mails I would like to
> > > > > > export to some external format (txt, pdf, doc).
> > > > > > ...
> > > > > > Is this possible ?
> > > > > This key had been moved to gsettings for 3.6.x, thus the command is:
> > > > >    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail drag-and-drop-save-file-format 'pdf'
> > > > This would be awesome!  But I set this setting and drag a message to
> > > > nautilus -- I just get a zero sized .pdf file.
> > > > evolution-3.6.3-1.2.1.x86_64
> > > I've duplicated this behavior - 0 size PDF file - on three boxes.
> > And it persists on evolution-3.8.0 [openSUSE 12.3 w/GNOME 3.8],  I just
> > get a dot-pdf file that is zero sized.
> Filed a bug.
> <https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700028>

Evolution 3.8.2 was released on the openSUSE GNOME 3.8 repo.  I pulled
it and not have Evolution 3.8.2

The behavior of drag-to-pdf has changed, but it still doesn't work.

Now I get a valid PDF, with a "Page 1" at the bottom, but nothing else.
Other than the page number the created PDF is blank.



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exporting mails to txt or pdf

Matthew Barnes
On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 06:56 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 12:57 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > Filed a bug.
> > <https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700028>
>
> Evolution 3.8.2 was released on the openSUSE GNOME 3.8 repo.  I pulled
> it and not have Evolution 3.8.2
>
> The behavior of drag-to-pdf has changed, but it still doesn't work.
>
> Now I get a valid PDF, with a "Page 1" at the bottom, but nothing else.
> Other than the page number the created PDF is blank.

See comment #3 in the bug.  It works now (for me at least) when dragging
a single message, but I'm still working on dragging multiple messages.
There's some other issue with that, unrelated to exporting specifically
because I've seen it other contexts.

Matthew Barnes

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list