fail to connect to CardDAV addressbook

@web.de
3.36.2 (flatpak gitb091e19)

I get an issue connecting my addressbook from my CardDAV server. The
error message (in German):

Adressbuch »adresses@spf-01« kann nicht geöffnet werden

Dieses Adressbuch konnte nicht geöffnet werden. Dies bedeutet entweder,
dass Sie eine falsche Adresse eingegeben haben, oder dass der Server
nicht erreichbar ist.

Ausführliche Fehlernachricht: Verbindung mit »adresses@spf-01« ist
gescheitert: Keine solche Quelle für UID
»ab6fe1814887395b62bb1c0450ff6bcb4553579f«

I started Evolution in a terminal to get further informations by

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=master --arch=x86_64 --command=evolution
--file-forwarding org.gnome.Evolution

The output:

(process:6690): flatpak-WARNING **: 19:19:40.719: Error writing
credentials to socket: Error sending message: Broken pipe

(evolution.bin:27): e-mail-engine-WARNING **: 19:19:41.090: Failed to
add service 'Sendmail' (sendmail): Kein Treiber für Protokoll
»sendmail« verfügbar

(evolution-alarm-notify:33): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 19:19:41.275: Your
application did not unregister from D-Bus before destruction. Consider
using g_application_run().

(evolution.bin:27): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 19:20:45.183: Your application
did not unregister from D-Bus before destruction. Consider using
g_application_run().

I have no clue, what's going on.

Re: fail to connect to CardDAV addressbook

Andre Klapper
On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 20:10 +0200, S. Pfeifer wrote:
> Adressbuch »adresses@spf-01« kann nicht geöffnet werden

Is that a local server?
If it's remote than that does not look like a proper hostname?

> (evolution.bin:27): e-mail-engine-WARNING **: 19:19:41.090: Failed to
> add service 'Sendmail' (sendmail): Kein Treiber für Protokoll
> »sendmail« verfügbar

Maybe the Flatpak sandbox cannot access the system's sendmail binary?

(Feel free to use an English locale to get messages in English.)

Am Dienstag, den 26.05.2020, 22:11 +0200 schrieb Andre Klapper:
> On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 20:10 +0200, S. Pfeifer wrote:
> > Adressbuch »adresses@spf-01« kann nicht geöffnet werden
>
> Is that a local server?

It's on my LAN in a 192.168.xxx.xxx range. If I load the configured
addressbook link in my browser, I am able to access the addressbook
data. Maybe the UID »ab6fe1814887395b62bb1c0450ff6bcb4553579f« is wrong
or the path related to this ID is wrong? Is it possible to check that?

> If it's remote than that does not look like a proper hostname?
>
> > (evolution.bin:27): e-mail-engine-WARNING **: 19:19:41.090: Failed
> > add service 'Sendmail' (sendmail): Kein Treiber für Protokoll
> > »sendmail« verfügbar
>
> Maybe the Flatpak sandbox cannot access the system's sendmail binary?

Do you have a hint how to fix that (I knkow it's no Evolution problem,
but mabe you know)?

> (Feel free to use an English locale to get messages in English.)

I found no setting for the language in Evolution. Does it mean to
change the operatiing system language to English or do I have to build
a flatpak version in English?

> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: fail to connect to CardDAV addressbook

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 22:58 +0200, S. Pfeifer wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 26.05.2020, 22:11 +0200 schrieb Andre Klapper:
> > On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 20:10 +0200, S. Pfeifer wrote:
> > > Adressbuch »adresses@spf-01« kann nicht geöffnet werden
> >
> > Is that a local server?
>
> It's on my LAN in a 192.168.xxx.xxx range. If I load the configured
> addressbook link in my browser, I am able to access the addressbook
> data. Maybe the UID »ab6fe1814887395b62bb1c0450ff6bcb4553579f« is
> wrong
> or the path related to this ID is wrong? Is it possible to check
> that?

        Hi,
that might be the name of the address book you see in the GUI, I think.
I do not speak German, thus I do not know what it tells you.

> > Maybe the Flatpak sandbox cannot access the system's sendmail
> > binary?

Right, it cannot. To do that one might open whole file system for the
sandbox, which kind of invalidates the purpose of the (Flatpak)
sandbox, thus Evolution had disabled sendmail, when it is running under
Flatpak. I'll mute that runtime warning to not confuse the users.

> I found no setting for the language in Evolution. Does it mean to
> change the operatiing system language to English or do I have to
> build a flatpak version in English?

Try to execute in the terminal:

   $ export LANG=C.utf8

before executing the flatpak command. You should do that before running
the Flatpak application for the first time, thus also the background
processes will use the C locale (you can use also en_US.utf8 or such).

Here [1] is written where the data is stored. You want the *.source
files. The path may slightly differ in Flatpak, I'm not sure right now.
Run this:

   $ flatpak run --command=sh org.gnome.Evolution

which will start a terminal in the sandbox of the Evolution
application. You can run other commands, explore the directories and do
all other things there.

[1] https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html

Re: fail to connect to CardDAV addressbook

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
>> > Maybe the Flatpak sandbox cannot access the system's sendmail
>> > binary?
>
> Right, it cannot. To do that one might open whole file system for the
> sandbox, which kind of invalidates the purpose of the (Flatpak)
> sandbox, thus Evolution had disabled sendmail, when it is running under
> Flatpak. I'll mute that runtime warning to not confuse the users.
>
>> I found no setting for the language in Evolution. Does it mean to
>> change the operatiing system language to English or do I have to
>> build a flatpak version in English?
>
> Try to execute in the terminal:
>
>    $ export LANG=C.utf8
>
> before executing the flatpak command. You should do that before running
> the Flatpak application for the first time, thus also the background
> processes will use the C locale (you can use also en_US.utf8 or such).
>
> Here [1] is written where the data is stored. You want the *.source
> files. The path may slightly differ in Flatpak, I'm not sure right now.
> Run this:
>
>    $ flatpak run --command=sh org.gnome.Evolution
>
> which will start a terminal in the sandbox of the Evolution
> application. You can run other commands, explore the directories and do
> all other things there.

Thanks Milan,

I've got the impression that running Evolution in flatpak is not the
best idea. I'm going back to distributions version.

> [1] https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html

Re: fail to connect to CardDAV addressbook

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2020-05-31 at 06:15 +0200, pfeifers--- via evolution-list
wrote:
> I've got the impression that running Evolution in flatpak is not the
>
> best idea. I'm going back to distributions version.

It's fine as long as you don't need to communicate with the rest of
your desktop, which would include the normal printing setup, but using
the distro version is definitely preferred. Flatpak is really for
people who don't have that alternative, such as when their distro only
has an old version of Evo.