general shortcut for new email

Im running Evolution 3.30.5 in Gnome 3. I would like to know how to set
up a general (system wide) keyboard shortcut to compose a new email
from Evolution; that is to compose a new email without executing the
full Evolution program. For example Nautilus does something like this
when I select a file and do Send to, it opens up the compose window
without the need for opening up Evolution itself. Can I map a keyboard
shortcut to do this in general.
thank you,

Anil

Re: general shortcut for new email

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 15:29 -0500, Anil Felipe Duggirala via evolution-
list wrote:
> that is to compose a new email without executing the full Evolution
> program.

        Hi,
Evolution is started, it only opens the composer immediately, thus it's
not noticed it's running in the background. In case another Evolution
is running, the composer is opened in it, instead of keeping running
two instances at the same time.

> For example Nautilus does something like this when I select a file
> and do Send to, it opens up the compose window without the need for
> opening up Evolution itself.

The only thing you want to do is to execute a mailto: URI, which will
use the program you've configured to handle it. Something like:

   $ xdg-open mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Hello\&body=world

does just that. The above fills a To: address, Subject: and Body. You
can omit everything after the question mark to just open the composer
with prefilled To:, aka:

   $ xdg-open mailto:[hidden email]

> Can I map a keyboard shortcut to do this in general.

As long as your desktop environment allows to assign shortcuts to run
programs (possibly through .desktop files), then yes, you can.