kerberos authentication

Ian Willis
Hi All,

We use a cyrus imap internally and leverage kerberos to provide seamless authentication for mail clients, calendaring and tasks.

Evolution uses kerberos for the imap and SMTP protocols however the CalDav functionality prompts for a password. The server supports kerberos authentication for the calendar so is the statement that "Evolution CalDav only supports simple Basic password based authentication" correct?

If this is correct is there any thoughts on whether a more consistent authentication approach would be beneficial and has any work ever been done in this space? The only references I could find were more than a decade old.

Kind Regards

Ian

Re: kerberos authentication

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2020-06-06 at 09:45 +1000, Ian Willis wrote:
> Evolution uses kerberos for the imap and SMTP protocols however the
> CalDav functionality prompts for a password. The server supports
> kerberos authentication for the calendar so is the statement that
> "Evolution CalDav only supports simple Basic password based
> authentication" correct?
>
> If this is correct is there any thoughts on whether a more consistent
> authentication approach would be beneficial and has any work ever
> been done in this space?

        Hi,
it's correct. Unfortunately, there had been not begun any work on it
yet. It's filled as a feature request here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/105