lost local folders when migrating data

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

lost local folders when migrating data

John Sauter
I am running Evolution version 3.30.5 (3.30.5-1.fc29) on the Fedora
distribution of GNU/Linux.  Recently Evolution asked if it could
perform a migration, and assured me that a copy of my data would be
preserved.  I allowed it.

Later I noticed that all of my local folders, where I keep old e-mails
that I might want to reference later, had disappeared from "On This
Computer".  They had been structured as a folder named "personal" and
many sub-folders within it.  I poked around in
~/.local/share/evolution/mail and found a directory named
9d8ea32ba2403d0384ee571755fb07b1045001c2.  Within that directory is all
of my old local folders.  How do I access them from evolution?
    John Sauter ([hidden email])
--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lost local folders when migrating data

Andre Klapper
On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 07:04 -0400, John Sauter wrote:
> I am running Evolution version 3.30.5 (3.30.5-1.fc29) on the Fedora
> distribution of GNU/Linux.  Recently Evolution asked if it could
> perform a migration, and assured me that a copy of my data would be
> preserved.  I allowed it.

If you did not use version 2.32 (migration from mbox to maildir format)
or version 3.6 (migration from ~/.evolution to XDG standard folders)
before, then I have no idea what kind of "migration" this refers to.

> Later I noticed that all of my local folders, where I keep old e-mails
> that I might want to reference later, had disappeared from "On This
> Computer".

What kind of email account type were these e-mails from? POP? IMAP?

Which folders are still there and displayed under "On This Computer"?

> I poked around in
> ~/.local/share/evolution/mail and found a directory named
> 9d8ea32ba2403d0384ee571755fb07b1045001c2.   Within that directory is
> all of my old local folders.  How do I access them from evolution?

Probably by moving them under ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/ if
you are really sure that they were under "On This Computer" before. But
before trying that I'd first love to see my questions above answered.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lost local folders when migrating data

John Sauter
On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 22:56 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 07:04 -0400, John Sauter wrote:
> > I am running Evolution version 3.30.5 (3.30.5-1.fc29) on the Fedora
> > distribution of GNU/Linux.  Recently Evolution asked if it could
> > perform a migration, and assured me that a copy of my data would be
> > preserved.  I allowed it.
>
> If you did not use version 2.32 (migration from mbox to maildir
> format)
> or version 3.6 (migration from ~/.evolution to XDG standard folders)
> before, then I have no idea what kind of "migration" this refers to.
The migration message said something about conversion to maildir
format, if I remember correctly.

> > Later I noticed that all of my local folders, where I keep old e-
> > mails
> > that I might want to reference later, had disappeared from "On This
> > Computer".
>
> What kind of email account type were these e-mails from? POP? IMAP?

These were from an IMAP account.

> Which folders are still there and displayed under "On This Computer"?

"On This Computer" has Inbox, Drafts, Junk, Outbox, Sent, Templates and
Trash.  All of these folders are empty.

> > I poked around in
> > ~/.local/share/evolution/mail and found a directory named
> > 9d8ea32ba2403d0384ee571755fb07b1045001c2.   Within that directory
> > is
> > all of my old local folders.  How do I access them from evolution?
>
> Probably by moving them under ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/ if
> you are really sure that they were under "On This Computer" before.
> But
> before trying that I'd first love to see my questions above answered.
I will wait for your response before moving the files.

After I gave permission for the migration I was away from the computer
for several hours.  During that time there was a short power failure
which caused the computer to reboot.

> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Thank you for your response.
    John Sauter ([hidden email])
--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lost local folders when migrating data

John Sauter
On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 18:25 -0400, John Sauter wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 22:56 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 07:04 -0400, John Sauter wrote:
> > > I am running Evolution version 3.30.5 (3.30.5-1.fc29) on the
> > > Fedora
> > > distribution of GNU/Linux.  Recently Evolution asked if it could
> > > perform a migration, and assured me that a copy of my data would
> > > be
> > > preserved.  I allowed it.
> >
> > If you did not use version 2.32 (migration from mbox to maildir
> > format)
> > or version 3.6 (migration from ~/.evolution to XDG standard
> > folders)
> > before, then I have no idea what kind of "migration" this refers
> > to.
>
> The migration message said something about conversion to maildir
> format, if I remember correctly.
>
> > > Later I noticed that all of my local folders, where I keep old e-
> > > mails
> > > that I might want to reference later, had disappeared from "On
> > > This
> > > Computer".
> >
> > What kind of email account type were these e-mails from? POP? IMAP?
>
> These were from an IMAP account.
>
> > Which folders are still there and displayed under "On This
> > Computer"?
>
> "On This Computer" has Inbox, Drafts, Junk, Outbox, Sent, Templates
> and
> Trash.  All of these folders are empty.
>
> > > I poked around in
> > > ~/.local/share/evolution/mail and found a directory named
> > > 9d8ea32ba2403d0384ee571755fb07b1045001c2.   Within that directory
> > > is
> > > all of my old local folders.  How do I access them from
> > > evolution?
> >
> > Probably by moving them under ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/
> > if
> > you are really sure that they were under "On This Computer" before.
> > But
> > before trying that I'd first love to see my questions above
> > answered.
>
> I will wait for your response before moving the files.
>
> After I gave permission for the migration I was away from the
> computer
> for several hours.  During that time there was a short power failure
> which caused the computer to reboot.
>
> > andre
> > --
> > Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
>
> Thank you for your response.
I noticed something unusual in the left pane of Evolution.  After my e-
mail accounts but before "Search Folders" there is a line "local_mbox".
When I click on it, it reveals no contents.  Asking for its properties
brings up the Account Editor, but the account appears to be blank.
However, when I click on "Send / Receive" it appears in the "Send &
Receive Mail" popup with a file path that appears to be (from the quick
glimpse I can get of it) the 9d8ea32ba2403d0384ee571755fb07b1045001c2
directory mentioned above.  "local_mbox" also appears in the dropdown
under "Send / Receive" after my e-mail accounts.

Just in case it is relavent, I have attached the output of "ls -al"
directed at the 9d8ea32ba2403d0384ee571755fb07b1045001c2 directory.
    John Sauter ([hidden email])
--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

9d8ea32ba2403d0384ee571755fb07b1045001c2.txt (9K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lost local folders when migrating data

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 07:20 -0400, John Sauter wrote:
> I noticed something unusual in the left pane of Evolution.  After my
> e- mail accounts but before "Search Folders" there is a line
> "local_mbox".

        Hi,
that's the backup evolution was talking about before the migration. You
can see it in Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts too.

> When I click on it, it reveals no contents.

This is odd. The listing you gave suggests it's a maildir structure,
thus what really had been in ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/. You
mentioned a power failure, maybe the account is not set properly. You
can create a new mail account of type "Maildir-format mail directories"
and point it to this backup, which should show you the files again. If
not, then delete the folders.db file from that folder (or rather more
it away) and start evolution, which will recreate it.

I do not know why you've been asked for the migration, that might be
some fault on the disk or something. The content of the "..maildir++"
file in there is important. A similar file should be seen in the
~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lost local folders when migrating data

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by John Sauter

>
> After I gave permission for the migration I was away from the computer
> for several hours.  During that time there was a short power failure
> which caused the computer to reboot.
>
I can imagine that if that occurred during the migration process it
might cause an issue and leave the Evolution local files in a confused
state.

Perhaps you could try restoring the original files from backup to a new
*Linux* account and allow Evolution to upgrade those files to make sure
it works.  If it does then it might be worth while removing the
Evolution data and config and transferring the info from the correctly
upgraded version (using the backup/restore function in Evolution).

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lost local folders when migrating data

John Sauter
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 09:52 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 07:20 -0400, John Sauter wrote:
> > I noticed something unusual in the left pane of Evolution.  After
> > my
> > e- mail accounts but before "Search Folders" there is a line
> > "local_mbox".
>
> Hi,
> that's the backup evolution was talking about before the migration.
> You
> can see it in Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts too.
>
> > When I click on it, it reveals no contents.
>
> This is odd. The listing you gave suggests it's a maildir structure,
> thus what really had been in ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.
> You
> mentioned a power failure, maybe the account is not set properly. You
> can create a new mail account of type "Maildir-format mail
> directories"
> and point it to this backup, which should show you the files again.
> If
> not, then delete the folders.db file from that folder (or rather more
> it away) and start evolution, which will recreate it.
>
> I do not know why you've been asked for the migration, that might be
> some fault on the disk or something. The content of the "..maildir++"
> file in there is important. A similar file should be seen in the
> ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.
> Bye,
> Milan
Something in my Evolution data apparently became corrupted.  I
tried deleting ~/.cache/evolution and restoring
~/.local/share/evolution/ and .config/evolution/ from an April 10
backup, but when I start Evolution it still insists on trying to
convert my files to maildir format, and failing after printing this
message to the system log: "migrate_mbox_to_maildir: Failed to make
directory '/home/jsauter/.local/share/evolution/mail/local': File
exists".  I concluded that my April 10 backup was already corrupt.

I was able to restore my data from an April 8 evolution backup.  Having
done that I created a new account of type "Maildir-format mail
directories" (thank you for the hint, I didn't know that was possible).
I moved all of my local data from On This Computer to that account,
which I put on a disk that I back up regularly.  My evolution backups
are now much smaller.

Thank you all for your help.
    John Sauter ([hidden email])

--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment