open

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
69 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

open

Gottfried
Hi all,

I cannot open evolution anymore. Got the newest version. when I try to
open it, it comes up until it generates the maillist and then it gets
stuck. Doesn't even ask for password.

Uninstalled it, reinstalled it. Even the opening of the back-up file on
another computer doesn't work, but that might be a different one. I
simply cannot get or send emails, because evolution does not open. Does
anybody have a suggestion?

Gottfried

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2017-12-28 at 16:50 +0200, Gottfried wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I cannot open evolution anymore. Got the newest version.

Which version exactly?

> when I try to
> open it, it comes up until it generates the maillist and then it gets
> stuck. Doesn't even ask for password.
>
> Uninstalled it, reinstalled it.

Virtually always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows.

> Even the opening of the back-up file on
> another computer doesn't work, but that might be a different one. I
> simply cannot get or send emails, because evolution does not open. Does
> anybody have a suggestion?

Create a new Linux user and log in. Run Evolution. Configure some mail
account(s) and try them. Let us know what  happens.

poc
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Gottfried
I am on Fedora as OS and use the 3.26.1 version of Evolution.

I used the back-up on a different PC and it worked out the same way. By
my comments you know that I don't know much. I suspect, that I
unintentionally saved a wrong password. I never save passwords but then
again, I type sometimes faster than I think... Sorry.

Is there a way I could delete that password? Any backdoor?

Gottfried


On 28/12/17 19:53, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-12-28 at 16:50 +0200, Gottfried wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I cannot open evolution anymore. Got the newest version.
> Which version exactly?
>
>> when I try to
>> open it, it comes up until it generates the maillist and then it gets
>> stuck. Doesn't even ask for password.
>>
>> Uninstalled it, reinstalled it.
> Virtually always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows.
>
>> Even the opening of the back-up file on
>> another computer doesn't work, but that might be a different one. I
>> simply cannot get or send emails, because evolution does not open. Does
>> anybody have a suggestion?
> Create a new Linux user and log in. Run Evolution. Configure some mail
> account(s) and try them. Let us know what  happens.
>
> poc
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
>

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Pete Biggs
On Thu, 2017-12-28 at 20:33 +0200, Gottfried wrote:
> I am on Fedora as OS and use the 3.26.1 version of Evolution.

Update Fedora, Evolution should be on 3.26.3 on F27. It won't solve
your problem, but you should keep a dynamic OS like Fedora up to date.

(And don't top post on this mailing list - people don't like it)

>
> I used the back-up on a different PC and it worked out the same way. By
> my comments you know that I don't know much. I suspect, that I
> unintentionally saved a wrong password. I never save passwords but then
> again, I type sometimes faster than I think... Sorry.
>
> Is there a way I could delete that password? Any backdoor?

If you the menus still work you can do Edit -> Preferences -> Mail
Accounts -> (select account) -> Edit -> Receiving E-mail  and then
click on "Forget password".  Evolution will always remember what ever
password you type in, otherwise you would be typing it every few
minutes.

But I suspect that's not the problem - if it were the wrong password
the login would fail and you would be prompted for the password.

You need to run Evolution from the command line and see if any errors
are produced there.

Did you do as Patrick suggested and create a new *Linux* user, login in
as that new user and configure Evolution? Does Evolution work then?

P.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Gottfried


> Update Fedora, Evolution should be on 3.26.3 on F27. It won't solve
> your problem, but you should keep a dynamic OS like Fedora up to date.
yepp. done. and it doesn't change anything
> If you the menus still work you can do Edit -> Preferences -> Mail
> Accounts -> (select account) -> Edit -> Receiving E-mail  and then
> click on "Forget password".  Evolution will always remember what ever
> password you type in, otherwise you would be typing it every few
> minutes.
looked that up as well. Yepp. it's as you say.
> You need to run Evolution from the command line and see if any errors
> are produced there.
How does that work?
I did a back-up a few days ago, and with that it runs perfect. You know,
restore with back-up and so on. Does that solve the problem, or would it
come up in the next days again?
> Did you do as Patrick suggested and create a new *Linux* user, login in
> as that new user and configure Evolution? Does Evolution work then?
need to figure out, how that works as well.
>
> P.
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
>

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Gottfried
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs

> You need to run Evolution from the command line and see if any errors
> are produced there.
did that and it opens Evloution just until it would ask for the passowrd
and then get's hanged up. Doesn't do anything anymore.

I did a back-up a few days ago, and with that it runs perfect. You know,
restore with back-up and so on. Does that solve the problem, or would it
come up in the next days again?
Well exactly the same problem came up after a restart.

> Did you do as Patrick suggested and create a new *Linux* user, login in
> as that new user and configure Evolution? Does Evolution work then?
still need to figure out, how that works. But I am on it. If I add the
backup, it definitely won't.
>
> P.
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
>

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Ralf Mardorf-3
In reply to this post by Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:53:03 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Uninstalled it, reinstalled it.  
>
>Virtually always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows.

Not necessarily. For example take Ubuntu's apt.

"Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually
small (modified) user configuration files behind, in case the
remove was an accident. Just issuing an installation request
for the accidentally removed package will restore its function as
before in that case. On the other hand you can get rid of
these leftovers by calling purge even on already removed packages. Note
that this does not affect any data or configuration stored
in your home directory." -
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/man8/apt.8.html

If an Ubuntu user should mess up a config in e.g. /etc, then
uninstalling a package using "purge" and after that installing it again
very well could solve an issue.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Ralf Mardorf-3
In reply to this post by Gottfried
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 21:38:46 +0200, Gottfried wrote:
>> You need to run Evolution from the command line and see if any errors
>> are produced there.  
>How does that work?

Open a terminal and run

  evolution

FWIW usually there is a file ~/.xsession-errors that contains the output
of all running GUI apps.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 06:39 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:53:03 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > Uninstalled it, reinstalled it.  
> >
> > Virtually always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows.
>
> Not necessarily. For example take Ubuntu's apt.
>
> "Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually
> small (modified) user configuration files behind, in case the
> remove was an accident. Just issuing an installation request
> for the accidentally removed package will restore its function as
> before in that case. On the other hand you can get rid of
> these leftovers by calling purge even on already removed packages. Note
> that this does not affect any data or configuration stored
> in your home directory." -
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/man8/apt.8.html
>
> If an Ubuntu user should mess up a config in e.g. /etc, then
> uninstalling a package using "purge" and after that installing it again
> very well could solve an issue.

How is this relevant to Evolution?

poc
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Andre Klapper
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 06:46 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> FWIW usually there is a file ~/.xsession-errors that contains the
> output
> of all running GUI apps.

No there is not, in times of Wayland instead of X.
And I'd doubt anyway that this would be any helpful.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 11:27 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 06:46 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > FWIW usually there is a file ~/.xsession-errors that contains the
> > output
> > of all running GUI apps.
>
> No there is not, in times of Wayland instead of X.
> And I'd doubt anyway that this would be any helpful.

There even necessarily is ~/.xsession-errors when running X, as long as
the user doesn't redirect the output or the user chose a display manager
doing this. That's why I've written "FWIW" and "usually", let alone that
I first explained how to run evolution from command line. However, while
 reading the mixture of output redirected to ~/.xsession-errors often
isn't that clear as running a GUI app from command line, it still could
be very helpful, if a culprit e.g. is easy to "grep" by terms such as
"error", "evolution", "lib", in addition with "| grep -v -i warning" to
eliminate all the waste, that isn't filtered when simply launching an
app from command line. Résumé: Mentioning ~/.xsession-errors makes very
well sense. There is a reason that this file usually is provided by
default installs of user-friendly distros, even if they migrated already
to Wayland while a lot of issues caused by Wayland still aren't solved
yet. AFAIK know for good reason they allow still to chose between a
Wayland and a X user session by the display manager's greater.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Ralf Mardorf-3
In reply to this post by Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 10:02 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 06:39 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:53:03 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > > Uninstalled it, reinstalled it.  
> > >
> > > Virtually always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows.
> >
> > Not necessarily. For example take Ubuntu's apt.
> >
> > "Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually
> > small (modified) user configuration files behind, in case the
> > remove was an accident. Just issuing an installation request
> > for the accidentally removed package will restore its function as
> > before in that case. On the other hand you can get rid of
> > these leftovers by calling purge even on already removed packages. Note
> > that this does not affect any data or configuration stored
> > in your home directory." -
> > http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/man8/apt.8.html
> >
> > If an Ubuntu user should mess up a config in e.g. /etc, then
> > uninstalling a package using "purge" and after that installing it again
> > very well could solve an issue.
>
> How is this relevant to Evolution?

It's relevant for this thread, since you spread misinformation about
Linux. Next time users reading this don't try to solve an issue, that
actually could be solved by purging and after that installing a package.

You could have written that purging Evolution and then installing it
again, doesn't make much sense, but instead you claimed: "Virtually
always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows." How is Windows relevant in
the context of this thread?

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-3

This is getting a bit off topic ....

> >
> > No there is not, in times of Wayland instead of X.
> > And I'd doubt anyway that this would be any helpful.
>
> There even necessarily is ~/.xsession-errors when running X, as long as
> the user doesn't redirect the output or the user chose a display manager
> doing this.

No, Andre is right. There is no ~/.xsession-errors on Fedora 27 (which
the OP is using), nor is there in any modern incarnations of
Wayland/Gnome. Fedora hasn't used .xsession-errors for sometime.

The log output of the display server is sent to the systemd journal.
Find out which unit your logs go to by searching for the unit of type
'scope' and then view it with journalctl.

    $ systemctl list-units -t scope
    UNIT             LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION              
    ...
    session-2.scope  loaded active running Session 2 of user pete    
    ...

    $ journalctl -b -u session-2.scope  

And THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO RANT ABOUT SYSTEMD.  It is what it is.

P.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:47:25 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
>This is getting a bit off topic ....

Not my fault, actually I replied to

"On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 21:38:46 +0200, Gottfried wrote:

        You need to run Evolution from the command line and see if any
        errors are produced there.  

    How does that work?"

with this main statement:

"Open a terminal and run

  evolution"

A "FWIW" additional information followed.

>No, Andre is right. There is no ~/.xsession-errors on Fedora 27 (which
>the OP is using)

Andre didn't mention that Fedora doesn't use it. I wasn't aware of it,
since I simply don't use Fedora.

>And THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO RANT ABOUT SYSTEMD.

Nobody did, right? So why do you shout? They also ban developers from
other mailing lists for shouting, especially if there is absolutely no
reason to do this.

As an Arch Linux users for many years, I much likely was one of the
first users subscribed to this mailing list using systemd. There's no
relationship between using Wayland or X, the ~/.xsession-errors file
and systemd's journal.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pgrep -a systemd
1 /sbin/init
231 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
250 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd
468 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind
566 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --user
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hl .xsession-errors
-rw------- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 5.0K Dec 29 12:52 .xsession-errors

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Pete Biggs

>
> > And THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO RANT ABOUT SYSTEMD.
>
> Nobody did, right? So why do you shout?

Because when ever anyone on any Linux related mailing list mentions
systemd it invariable descends into rants about it. I was attempting to
pre-empt that. Sorry if I offended you with my caps-lock key.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 12:25 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 10:02 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 06:39 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:53:03 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > > > Uninstalled it, reinstalled it.  
> > > >
> > > > Virtually always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows.
> > >
> > > Not necessarily. For example take Ubuntu's apt.
> > >
> > > "Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually
> > > small (modified) user configuration files behind, in case the
> > > remove was an accident. Just issuing an installation request
> > > for the accidentally removed package will restore its function as
> > > before in that case. On the other hand you can get rid of
> > > these leftovers by calling purge even on already removed packages. Note
> > > that this does not affect any data or configuration stored
> > > in your home directory." -
> > > http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/man8/apt.8.html
> > >
> > > If an Ubuntu user should mess up a config in e.g. /etc, then
> > > uninstalling a package using "purge" and after that installing it again
> > > very well could solve an issue.
> >
> > How is this relevant to Evolution?
>
> It's relevant for this thread, since you spread misinformation about
> Linux. Next time users reading this don't try to solve an issue, that
> actually could be solved by purging and after that installing a package.

I wasn't aware I was 'spreading misinformation about Linux'. Apparently
Ubuntu has this feature called 'purge' which I've never heard of. Maybe
it comes from Debian, which I don't use. In any case a special 'purge'
option is not a standard feature of Linux. In the case of rpm-based
distros, including Fedora which I use, this the default behaviour.

I also see from your quote that '... this does not affect any data or
configuration stored in your home directory'. My recommendation to the
OP was to try a new configuration in a separate Linux account, which
*will* effectively eliminate the effects of any per-user configuration.
Since Evolution only stores config information in the user account,
using 'purge' is indeed a waste of time in the case of Evolution.

And I note that my actual statement was 'virtually always a waste of
time', which I maintain is the exact truth. The number of times this is
going to correct a problem, either by explicitly deleting config files
or by using something like 'purge' is a in my experience a tiny
minority of cases. In other words the problem is almost always
somewhere else.

> You could have written that purging Evolution and then installing it
> again, doesn't make much sense, but instead you claimed: "Virtually
> always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows." How is Windows relevant in
> the context of this thread?

Because reinstalling software is a standard recommendation when a
Windows user has a problem. It is definitely not a standard
recommendation in Linux.

poc
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Gottfried
Hi all,

let me make my problem more precise. Evolution works fine. It is in my
setting that something went wrong and all of a sudden it does not open
any more.

I installed evolution on a different PC. restored an older back-up and
one or two times it loaded fine and then again, it did not want to open
again.

I am not interested in configuring evolution with a different email. The
reason is: I use evolution for my business emails and thunderbird for my
private emails. I am not mentioning thunderbird as a problem, so no need
to comment on that further. It is just to give the background that I am
using different email clients for different reasons. Clawsmail is my
security email, which is so restricted that it is only used for a
certain group of people and absolute not public.

Could it be a problem though, that evolution, thunderbird and clawsmail
in one system don't like each other? or may just two of them.

The worst side of the problem is that I don't find warnings or comments
or anything indicating any error. It just starts and hangs there. The
same thing happened on Linux mint, but then I would simply restart the
whole system and evolution would just start again. Because linux mint,
(and please this is only to mention the background) uses only an older
version of evolution, whatever good reason they might have for it, I
installed fedora in order to be able to use a more update version.

My backup is about 4.2 GB big (just emails), is that getting to the core
of the problem?

:-)

greetings to you all.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 15:32:11 +0200, Gottfried wrote:
>Could it be a problem though, that evolution, thunderbird and
>clawsmail in one system don't like each other? or may just two of them.

Hi,

let's ignore the dependency tree and optional dependencies and just
take a look at the direct hard dependencies of a distro, that doesn't
split software from upstream into several packages. Assuming the
packagers of your distro aren't idiots, they compile against the
appropriate dependencies, so regarding the versions of the dependencies
there aren't issues, as long as the official repositories follow a
reasonable policy. I don't use Thunderbird, but Sylpheed, Claws Mail
and Evolution.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q evolution evolution-data-server evolution-bogofilter evolution-spamassassin sylpheed claws-mail-git
evolution 3.26.3-1
evolution-data-server 3.26.3-1
evolution-bogofilter 3.26.3-1
evolution-spamassassin 3.26.3-1
sylpheed 3.6.0-3
claws-mail-git 3.16.0.r3.g174c03f19-1
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi evolution evolution-data-server evolution-bogofilter evolution-spamassassin sylpheed claws-mail-git | grep Depends\ On
Depends On      : gnome-desktop  evolution-data-server  libcanberra  libpst  libytnef  dconf  gtkspell3  libcryptui  gnome-autoar
Depends On      : gnome-online-accounts  nss  krb5  libgweather  libical  db  libgdata  libphonenumber
Depends On      : evolution=3.26.3  bogofilter
Depends On      : evolution=3.26.3  spamassassin
Depends On      : compface  gpgme  gtkspell
Depends On      : gtk2  gnutls  startup-notification  enchant  gpgme  libetpan  compface  libsm  dbus-glib  hicolor-icon-theme  desktop-file-utils
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio/ apt -qq list claws-mail-git
claws-mail-git/now 3.16.0-3-g174c03-1 amd64 [installed,local]
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /mnt/moonstudio/home/weremouse/ | grep archlinux
lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse users         43 Oct  6  2015 .bogofilter -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.bogofilter
lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse users         43 Oct  6  2015 .claws-mail -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.claws-mail
lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse users         42 Oct  6  2015 Claws Mail -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/Claws Mail
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio/ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: 1.4
Distributor ID: Arch
Description: Arch Linux
Release: rolling
Codename: n/a

I'm using POP accounts. Sylpheed, Claws and Evolution all use their own
directories to store emails, while only Claws and Evolution handle the
same POP servers to send and receive mails + they don't use the same
bogofilter as Sylpheed does and only Claws from Arch and Ubuntu
completely share all folders.

I never experienced that one MUA affected the other MUA, the only
positive impact is, that they share bogofilter, this has got
no negative affect.

I could imagine one issue. I'm doing everything manually, IOW I don't
automatically send queued messages and I don't automatically retrieve
messages, so there can't be any conflict. I guess if different MUAs
should access the same server at the same time, this anyway shouldn't
cause an issue, but you never know.

>The worst side of the problem is that I don't find warnings or
>comments or anything indicating any error. It just starts and hangs
>there.

Open a terminal and launch evolution from there.

  evolution

For posting purpose (at https://pastebin.com/ or similar) you could
redirect all output to a log file.

  evolution > /tmp/evolution.0.log 2>&1

>My backup is about 4.2 GB big (just emails), is that getting to the
>core of the problem?

It shouldn't be the culprit. I could imagine that an advanced search
could become an issue, but it shouldn't affect general duty.

Regards,
Ralf

--
$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-cornflower,-pussytoes}}|awk '{print $2}'
4.14.9-1
4.14.6_rt7-1
4.11.12_rt16-1
4.14.8_rt9-2

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 17:15 +0200, Gottfried wrote:

> > Open a terminal and launch evolution from there.
> >
> >    evolution
> >
> > For posting purpose (at https://pastebin.com/ or similar) you could
> > redirect all output to a log file.
> >
> >    evolution > /tmp/evolution.0.log 2>&1
>
> OK, just did that. IF I run evolution from a user, it is just the same,
> as if I run it from the panel.

Hi,

you run evolution as user in a terminal as long as it failed or just
when it worked? When redirecting the output to a log file you looked at
the log file?

> If I run it as root.

Don't run Evolution with root privileges. For testing purpose you could
add a new user and log in as this user.

> Can it be, that it does not close properly and therefore doesn't open
> again?
 
  pkill -9 evolution

should kill everything containing evolution in it's name.

P l e a s e   s t o p   r e p l y i n g    t o   m y   a d d r e s s e !
R e p l y   t o   t h e   m a i l i n g   l i s t!

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: open

Andre Klapper
In reply to this post by Gottfried
Hi Gottfried,

On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 15:32 +0200, Gottfried wrote:
> Could it be a problem though, that evolution, thunderbird and clawsmail
> in one system don't like each other? or may just two of them.

Extremely unlikely, and wild guessing won't help debugging anything.

> The worst side of the problem is that I don't find warnings or comments
> or anything indicating any error.

As mentioned several times now, we need debug output from you.

It sounds like Evolution "hangs" (does not respond to anything in the
user interface anymore) but does not "crash" (the application window
vanishes unexpectedly).

Please make sure that "gdb" is installed. Then open a Terminal window.
Then enter the command "gdb evolution". At the next prompt, enter the
command "run". Then make Evolution hang. Then enter the command "thread
apply all bt full".
Then post the *complete* output of *all* those steps somewhere.

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
1234