pop 3 deleting emails

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pop 3 deleting emails

Christopher Marlow-3
Hi,

I am having an issue with deleting emails with pop3.. I don't know if
this is how Evo is intended to work or if this is a problem with my
setup.

But when I go to delete emails, instead of moving them to the trash
folder, the emails just get crossed out with a line through them. And
when that happens I can't figure out how to delete the emails.

Now, if I close evo and open it, and then try to delete the emails
again, they delete and go to the trash folder like intended.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
[hidden email]



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pop 3 deleting emails

Pete Biggs

There are a few things to unpack ...

> I am having an issue with deleting emails with pop3..

You don't/can't delete mails in POP3 - the POP protocol moves the mail
to your local machine and, for Evo, is put into the "On This Computer"
folders.  Depending on the POP configuration the mails on the server
will either be removed automatically after they have been downloaded or
will be left there until something else removes them. Whichever way you
never actually see a representation of what is on the POP server in
Evo, so there is no way from the interface to delete a message on the
POP server.

>  I don't know if
> this is how Evo is intended to work or if this is a problem with my
> setup.
>
> But when I go to delete emails, instead of moving them to the trash
> folder, the emails just get crossed out with a line through them. And
> when that happens I can't figure out how to delete the emails.

Yes, that is how the "On This Computer" folders work. See Help -> Mail
Management -> Deleting and undeleting messages.  The Trash folder will
contain those messages - or rather the Trash folder is a virtual folder
that contains pointers to those messages marked for deletion in other
folders.  You can remove the deleted messages by Expunging the folder
(Ctrl-E in the folder, or File->Empty Trash to do all folders at once).

>
> Now, if I close evo and open it, and then try to delete the emails
> again, they delete and go to the trash folder like intended.
>
It depends on the settings of Edit->Preferences->Mail Preferences ->
Delete Mail but it doesn't match with how you are describing it.
However I think these are a couple of things which you weren't aware of
and may be causing you confusion.

P.



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pop 3 deleting emails

Christopher Marlow-3
On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 22:21 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> You don't/can't delete mails in POP3 - the POP protocol moves the
> mail
> to your local machine and, for Evo, is put into the "On This
> Computer"
> folders.  Depending on the POP configuration the mails on the server
> will either be removed automatically after they have been downloaded
> or
> will be left there until something else removes them. Whichever way
> you
> never actually see a representation of what is on the POP server in
> Evo, so there is no way from the interface to delete a message on the
> POP server.

---------------------

Pete,

No I didn't mean when I download them to delete them off of the server
I meant after the email was downloaded into Evo, when I hit delete it
would just cross them out instead of just moving them to trash.

But I see now... I have to do the CTRL + E to offically move them to
the trash ( in a kinda logical way ). I noticed if I mark the emails
for deletion, and you just close evo, it just unmarks them for deletion
and I have to remark them for deletion.. I found that out the hard way
earlier today.


Thanks,
Chris
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pop 3 deleting emails

Pete Biggs

>
> No I didn't mean when I download them to delete them off of the server
> I meant after the email was downloaded into Evo, when I hit delete it
> would just cross them out instead of just moving them to trash.

That is correct behaviour for local folders.

>
> But I see now... I have to do the CTRL + E to offically move them to
> the trash ( in a kinda logical way ).

No, that's not correct.  Trash is not a real folder. It never contains
real messages. Deleting a message marks that message as deleted and it
is shown in the virtual Trash folder.  Expunging deleted messages
removes them from the folder completely, it does not move them to
Trash.


>  I noticed if I mark the emails
> for deletion, and you just close evo, it just unmarks them for deletion
> and I have to remark them for deletion.. I found that out the hard way
> earlier today.
>
If that is what's happening, then there's something wrong.  Run
Evolution from the command line and see if there are any error
messages.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pop 3 deleting emails

Ángel González
In reply to this post by Christopher Marlow-3
On 2020-04-20 at 14:14 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having an issue with deleting emails with pop3.. I don't know if
> this is how Evo is intended to work or if this is a problem with my
> setup.
>
> But when I go to delete emails, instead of moving them to the trash
> folder, the emails just get crossed out with a line through them. And
> when that happens I can't figure out how to delete the emails.
>
> Now, if I close evo and open it, and then try to delete the emails
> again, they delete and go to the trash folder like intended.
>
> Ideas?

Go to the View menu and uncheck 'Show Deleted Messages'


Yes. It is (kinda) how it is intended to work. When you delete a
message, you actually mark it as deleted, but it stays in the folder
(this was modeled after IMAP). The trash is actually a virtual folder
which shows deleted messages from every folder (unless you configure it
to be an actual folder).
The 'Show Deleted Messages' lets you view the messages marked as deleted
on its original folder, before they are purged. Most of times you don't
want that option to be active, though.

Kind regards

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pop 3 deleting emails

Andre Klapper
In reply to this post by Christopher Marlow-3
[Invalid UTF-8]

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pop 3 deleting emails

Christopher Marlow-3
On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 06:00 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> [Invalid UTF-8]

^^^ Thats the only thing I see....

Who had invalid UTF-8 Me? or someone that replied to me?


Thanks,
Chris
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pop 3 deleting emails

Christopher Marlow-3
In reply to this post by Ángel González
On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 03:21 +0200, Ángel wrote:
> Go to the View menu and uncheck 'Show Deleted Messages'


Thanks... That was kind of confusing the way it was showing me deleted
emails before.



Thanks,
Chris
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pop 3 deleting emails

Andre Klapper
In reply to this post by Christopher Marlow-3
On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 23:31 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 06:00 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > [Invalid UTF-8]
>
> ^^^ Thats the only thing I see....
>
> Who had invalid UTF-8 Me? or someone that replied to me?

1) No. 2) Yes. "Someone" is "Andre Klapper" as per your quote.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/884

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pop 3 deleting emails

Andre Klapper
In reply to this post by Christopher Marlow-3
Let's try again if Evolution will again eat my reply.

On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 19:00 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> But I see now... I have to do the CTRL + E to offically move them to
> the trash ( in a kinda logical way ).

Doesn't "Help 🡒 Contents 🡒 Mail Management 🡒 Deleting and undelet
ing messages" already cover this? If not, what is missing?

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list