"Cannot get message", why?

mario chiari-3
Hi

I get the following error msg, and I am unable to open the mail:

Unable to retrieve message.

Cannot get message 1561467844.28747_17255.fedora-pc from folder
/home/mario/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.<my_folder>: No such
file or directory
<<

File 1561467844.28747_17255.fedora-pc:2,FS is within my
/home/mario/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.<my_folder>/cur .

Any hint?
thanks
mario

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Volker Wysk
Am Dienstag, den 17.11.2020, 16:04 +0100 schrieb mario chiari:

> Hi
>
> I get the following error msg, and I am unable to open the mail:
>
> Unable to retrieve message.
>
> Cannot get message 1561467844.28747_17255.fedora-pc from folder
> /home/mario/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.<my_folder>: No such
> file or directory
> <<
>
> File 1561467844.28747_17255.fedora-pc:2,FS is within my
> /home/mario/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.<my_folder>/cur .
I get that (or similar) messages, sometimes. It's a bug. Opening another
folder and then going back, often fixes it in my case. Or just delete the
message. It's (in my case) a leftover of some message which has been moved
to a different place, and can be removed.

Nothing serious (what I've experienced).

Bye,
Volker

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 16:04 +0100, mario chiari wrote:

> Unable to retrieve message.
>
> Cannot get message 1561467844.28747_17255.fedora-pc from folder
> /home/mario/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.<my_folder>: No such
> file or directory
> <<

        Hi,
I've not been able to reproduce it myself:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/182

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 07:39 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 16:04 +0100, mario chiari wrote:
> >
> > Unable to retrieve message.
> >
> > Cannot get message 1561467844.28747_17255.fedora-pc from folder
> > /home/mario/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.<my_folder>: No such
> > file or directory
> > <<
>
> Hi,
> I've not been able to reproduce it myself:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/182

I subscribe to a debian mail list and read its messages via gmail.
Evo consistently fails to retrieve messages from three specific regular
contributors to that list. These same messages can be read in other
clients (Thunderbird, The Bat!)

I would invite anyone interested to subscribe to
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/ to see if this replicates for
them.

If you try it, look for messages from wanderer, tuxteam and lermer. In
my case, Evo shows a message similar to "Retrieving message “48039”".

This is persistent; workarounds such as switching away to another
folder and back don't fix it.
--
Chris

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
> I subscribe to a debian mail list and read its messages via gmail.
> Evo consistently fails to retrieve messages from three specific regular
> contributors to that list. These same messages can be read in other
> clients (Thunderbird, The Bat!)

Actually, it's lemley, not lermer, and he posts to a different list.

However, the commonality is that all three posters sign their messages, e.g.:

Do I need to acquire their public keys? Switch something on in Evo?

--
Chris

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 10:44 +0100, Chris Ramsden via evolution-list
wrote:
> Do I need to acquire their public keys? Switch something on in Evo?

        Hi,
I'm afraid your issue is different from Mario's.

Could you run evolution from a terminal, maybe it shows something
there. If you run it as:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io, imapx:conman evolution

then you'll see a raw communication and some extended debugging about
the connection, which may help. Do not share the log, unless you are
fine to share something private (do not do that), as some private
information can be also encoded, not visible on the first look.

I would select one of the offending messages and check what will be
added on the terminal.

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
> Could you run evolution from a terminal, maybe it shows something
> there. If you run it as:

>    $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io, imapx:conman evolution

Milan,

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Can you clarify exactly how I use this command line? Entered as-is into a bash terminal, it tells me it can't find imapx. If I add it as a set of arguments to an invocation of evolution, evo tells me it can't open the given URIs.

I'd copy and paste from the terminal session, but I'm on a different computer, and supposed to be at work, on this windows POS.

What am I doing wrong here? (Apart from using Windows...)
Chris

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Pete Biggs
On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 14:56 +0000, Chris Ramsden via evolution-list
wrote:

> > Could you run evolution from a terminal, maybe it shows something
> > there. If you run it as:
>
> >    $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io, imapx:conman evolution
>
> Milan,
>
> Thank you so much for the quick reply.
>
> Can you clarify exactly how I use this command line? Entered as-is
> into a bash terminal, it tells me it can't find imapx. If I add it as
> a set of arguments to an invocation of evolution, evo tells me it
> can't open the given URIs.
>
> I'd copy and paste from the terminal session, but I'm on a different
> computer, and supposed to be at work, on this windows POS.
>
> What am I doing wrong here? (Apart from using Windows...)

There's a spurious space in there

On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 16:08 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> There's a spurious space in there

ouch, right, that's my fault. I'm sorry about that. Pete's command is
ready for copy&paste.

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Pete Biggs
On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 17:02 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 16:08 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > There's a spurious space in there
>
> ouch, right, that's my fault. I'm sorry about that. Pete's command is
> ready for copy&paste.

Blame muscle memory - <comma><space> every time. :-)

On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 16:30 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 17:02 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 16:08 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > There's a spurious space in there
> >
> > ouch, right, that's my fault. I'm sorry about that. Pete's command
> > is
> > ready for copy&paste.
>
> Blame muscle memory - <comma><space> every time. :-)
>
> P.

Thank you, that got it working.

I ran with logging, but couldn't see any events being logged when I
selected and attempted to open the affected messages. I reasoned that
if they were cached, there wouldn't be any traffic.

I closed evo, renamed the folder's maildir file in ~/.cache/evolution
and restarted evo with the logging enabled and redirected to a text
file. Then waited about an hour for that folder to be indexed.

In that text file I can find the text of the missing messages, so I can
see that they have downloaded fine. But when viewed in evo, just the
""Retrieving message “48039”" advice in the message view pane. The
status bar sticks at "Parsing message". Again, this appears to be
consistent for all messages from the two posters known to use pgp
signatures.

Anything else I can pick out of this to help?

No sign (that I can see) of anything untoward in the log dump.
--
Chris

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 23:46 +0100, Chris Ramsden via evolution-list
wrote:
> In that text file I can find the text of the missing messages, so I
> can see that they have downloaded fine. But when viewed in evo, just
> the ""Retrieving message “48039”" advice in the message view pane.
> The status bar sticks at "Parsing message".

        Hi,
then it's a very different thing. You can install debuginfo packages
for evolution and evolution-data-server and then grab a backtrace of
the evolution process, to see where it is stuck.

You can get the backtrace with command like this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

I'd guess you are affected by this one:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/75
but it seems you've evolution 3.30.5, which has it included.

Eventually, could you disable the message preview (Ctrl+M), then send
me one of the affected messages as an attachment, thus I can try it
here, please? I've a hard time to find the message in an mbox format.

On Thu, 2020-11-19 at 09:23 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> Eventually, could you disable the message preview (Ctrl+M), then send
> me one of the affected messages as an attachment, thus I can try it
> here, please? I've a hard time to find the message in an mbox format.

        Hi,
thanks for the example message (received in a private mail).
Unfortunately, I am able to view it, it opens with no problem here,
saying "This message is signed, but the public key is not in your
keyring" at the top, under which is the message itself. This is with
the development version of Evolution (to be 3.39.1).

I do not have 3.30.5 installed anywhere, the oldest I've found is
3.32.5, which can show the message properly too, under (obsolete)
Fedora 30 distribution. I tried also with 3.28.5 in RHEL 8 and it can
view the message with no problem, thus I guess there's something with
gpg on your machine. Having the backtrace would help (and can correct
me). Eventually/also run Evolution from a terminal like this:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=gpg evolution

which may or may not show something useful.

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Ángel González
On 2020-11-20 at 08:52 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-11-19 at 09:23 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > Eventually, could you disable the message preview (Ctrl+M), then
> > send
> > me one of the affected messages as an attachment, thus I can try it
> > here, please? I've a hard time to find the message in an mbox
> > format.
>
> Hi,
> thanks for the example message (received in a private mail).
> Unfortunately, I am able to view it, it opens with no problem here,
> saying "This message is signed, but the public key is not in your
> keyring" at the top, under which is the message itself. This is with
> the development version of Evolution (to be 3.39.1).
>
> I do not have 3.30.5 installed anywhere, the oldest I've found is
> 3.32.5, which can show the message properly too, under (obsolete)
> Fedora 30 distribution. I tried also with 3.28.5 in RHEL 8 and it can
> view the message with no problem, thus I guess there's something with
> gpg on your machine. Having the backtrace would help (and can correct
> me). Eventually/also run Evolution from a terminal like this:

I have tried on 3.30.5 and had no issues (or perhaps I picked a lucky
mail?)

I suspect evolution is launching gpg and awaiting for gpg to return the
result. Maybe gpg is trying to automatically fetch the key from the
keyservers and hanging at that point?

On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 22:47 +0100, Ángel wrote:
> I suspect evolution is launching gpg and awaiting for gpg to return
> the
> result. Maybe gpg is trying to automatically fetch the key from the
> keyservers and hanging at that point?

        Hi,
no idea from my side. The only thing one can try:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=gpg evolution

and when it's frozen, then

   $ ps ax | grep gpg

and check whether it's running or not. Having evolution waiting on the
gpg response, it'll be shown in the backtrace:

   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" --pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt

In case you'd like to share it anywhere, check the bt.txt for any
private information, like passwords, email addresses, server
addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at least (quotes for clarity
only).

I do not know whether it's needed here, 3.30.5 is too old (limited
manpower, I'm sorry).

On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 23:31 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 22:47 +0100, Ángel wrote:
> > I suspect evolution is launching gpg and awaiting for gpg to return
> > the
> > result. Maybe gpg is trying to automatically fetch the key from the
> > keyservers and hanging at that point?
>
> Hi,
> no idea from my side. The only thing one can try:
>
>    $ CAMEL_DEBUG=gpg evolution
>
> and when it's frozen, then
>
>    $ ps ax | grep gpg
>
> and check whether it's running or not. Having evolution waiting on the
> gpg response, it'll be shown in the backtrace:
>
>    $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" --pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
>
> In case you'd like to share it anywhere, check the bt.txt for any
> private information, like passwords, email addresses, server
> addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at least (quotes for clarity
> only).
>
> I do not know whether it's needed here, 3.30.5 is too old (limited
> manpower, I'm sorry).

Hey, thank you for looking into this.

Without doing the diagnostics, I do know that other signed messages are
handled properly, almost always with the warning that the key isn't
known.

Two issues arising::

1. Does Evolution have any tools or support for downloading public keys
etc? I've used such a capability in other email clients. Do I need to
learn how to use gpg directly at the command line?

2. How can I get a later version of the binary for Evolution? My
Debian-based distro (LMDE) offers only 3.30.5-1.1.

Thanks!

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 11:42 +0100, Chris Ramsden via evolution-list
wrote:
> 1. Does Evolution have any tools or support for downloading public
> keys etc?

        Hi,
the Evolution doesn't have any such option, but it also doesn't block
the key auto-retrieve, unless the application is in the offline mode.
Thus when you've configured gpg to download keys from some server and
you are online, gpg can download it.

> 2. How can I get a later version of the binary for Evolution? My
> Debian-based distro (LMDE) offers only 3.30.5-1.1.

That's the question for your distribution. Maybe you can get it as a
Flatpak, the version from Flathub.org is fine.

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 14:01 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> > 2. How can I get a later version of the binary for Evolution? My
> > Debian-based distro (LMDE) offers only 3.30.5-1.1.
>
> That's the question for your distribution. Maybe you can get it as a
> Flatpak, the version from Flathub.org is fine.

Insert standard disclaimer here? Flatpack versions live in their own
sandbox and don't fully communicate with the rest of your desktop.

On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 13:07 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 14:01 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> > > 2. How can I get a later version of the binary for Evolution? My
> > > Debian-based distro (LMDE) offers only 3.30.5-1.1.
> >
> > That's the question for your distribution. Maybe you can get it as a
> > Flatpak, the version from Flathub.org is fine.
>
> Insert standard disclaimer here? Flatpack versions live in their own
> sandbox and don't fully communicate with the rest of your desktop.
>
> poc

Noted.

Thank you.

--
Chris

Re: "Cannot get message", why?

On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 14:01 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 11:42 +0100, Chris Ramsden via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > 1. Does Evolution have any tools or support for downloading public
> > keys etc?
>
> Hi,
> the Evolution doesn't have any such option, but it also doesn't block
> the key auto-retrieve, unless the application is in the offline mode.
> Thus when you've configured gpg to download keys from some server and
> you are online, gpg can download it.
>
> > 2. How can I get a later version of the binary for Evolution? My
> > Debian-based distro (LMDE) offers only 3.30.5-1.1.
>
> That's the question for your distribution. Maybe you can get it as a
> Flatpak, the version from Flathub.org is fine.

I looked into the key management tools offered by my distro and found
they were not working well - in fact hanging when trying to import
keys.

I installed gpg2 and gpg-agent and a) key import started working, and
b) the troublesome messages are now all rendered properly in Evolution.

Again, thank you for your time on this.

--
Chris