"You have Unsent Messages"

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Evolution 3.24.6 (3.24.6-1.fc26) on Fedora Workstation 26.
Every time I quit Evolurion, I get the message that I have Unsent
Messages. I have 2 mail accounts, both Outboxes are empty, and both
Queued folders are empty. Where might these messages be?

Re: "You have Unsent Messages"

Pete Biggs
On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:17 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> Evolution 3.24.6 (3.24.6-1.fc26) on Fedora Workstation 26.
> Every time I quit Evolurion, I get the message that I have Unsent
> Messages. I have 2 mail accounts, both Outboxes are empty, and both
> Queued folders are empty. Where might these messages be?

Have you looked in the "On This Computer" outbox?

Re: "You have Unsent Messages"

Gordon Burgess-Parker
On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:50 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:17 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> > Evolution 3.24.6 (3.24.6-1.fc26) on Fedora Workstation 26.
> > Every time I quit Evolurion, I get the message that I have Unsent
> > Messages. I have 2 mail accounts, both Outboxes are empty, and both
> > Queued folders are empty. Where might these messages be?
> >

> Have you looked in the "On This Computer" outbox?

I deleted the "On This Computer" mail box.....

Re: "You have Unsent Messages"

Gordon Burgess-Parker
On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:50 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:17 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> > Evolution 3.24.6 (3.24.6-1.fc26) on Fedora Workstation 26.
> > Every time I quit Evolurion, I get the message that I have Unsent
> > Messages. I have 2 mail accounts, both Outboxes are empty, and both
> > Queued folders are empty. Where might these messages be?
> >

> Have you looked in the "On This Computer" outbox?

Just re-enabled it and yes there were indeed three messages sitting in
the Outbox....not sure why they were...

Re: "You have Unsent Messages"

Paul Smith-43
On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:57 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> Just re-enabled it and yes there were indeed three messages sitting in
> the Outbox....not sure why they were...

Go to Edit -> Preferences and under Mail Accounts select the email
account you're sending mail with and click "Edit".

Select the "Defaults" menu on the left side, and see what the value of
"Sent Messages Folder" is.  It should be checked, and the "Sent" or
"Outbox" or whatever folder in your mail account should be listed.  If
not, click it and select the correct folder.

Re: "You have Unsent Messages"

On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:57 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:50 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:17 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> > > Evolution 3.24.6 (3.24.6-1.fc26) on Fedora Workstation 26.
> > > Every time I quit Evolurion, I get the message that I have Unsent
> > > Messages. I have 2 mail accounts, both Outboxes are empty, and
> > > both
> > > Queued folders are empty. Where might these messages be?
> > >

> > Have you looked in the "On This Computer" outbox?
> >

> Just re-enabled it and yes there were indeed three messages sitting
> in
> the Outbox....not sure why they were...

When you're offline, Evolution needs to store outgoing messages (which
are yet to be sent) of your remote mail account somewhere.

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: "You have Unsent Messages"

On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:57 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:50 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 16:17 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> > > Evolution 3.24.6 (3.24.6-1.fc26) on Fedora Workstation 26.
> > > Every time I quit Evolurion, I get the message that I have Unsent
> > > Messages. I have 2 mail accounts, both Outboxes are empty, and both
> > > Queued folders are empty. Where might these messages be?
> > >

> > Have you looked in the "On This Computer" outbox?
> >

> Just re-enabled it and yes there were indeed three messages sitting in
> the Outbox....not sure why they were...

I didn't think Evolution used per-account Outboxes - everything is sent
through the local Outbox.  I certainly can't see an option to change
which outbox it uses (perhaps it depends on the account type?).

Re: "You have Unsent Messages"

Paul Smith-43
Sorry, ignore me.  Reading comprehension failure.

Tom

> I didn't think Evolution used per-account Outboxes - everything is sent
> through the local Outbox.  I certainly can't see an option to change
> which outbox it uses (perhaps it depends on the account type?).

Just for an example: With IMAP I can configure Evo to use that same outbox (on the server), which is used by the web interface ...
Tom

On Tue, 2017-12-19 at 15:25 +0100, Thomas Prost wrote:

> > Gesendet: Freitag, 03. November 2017 um 19:16 Uhr
> > Von: "Pete Biggs" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Betreff: Re: [Evolution] "You have Unsent Messages"
> >

> > I didn't think Evolution used per-account Outboxes - everything is sent
> > through the local Outbox.  I certainly can't see an option to change
> > which outbox it uses (perhaps it depends on the account type?).
> >

> Just for an example: With IMAP I can configure Evo to use that same
> outbox (on the server), which is used by the web interface ...

Where do you configure Evolution to do that?

(And why would you?)

Tom

> On Tue, 2017-12-19 at 15:25 +0100, Thomas Prost wrote:
> > > Gesendet: Freitag, 03. November 2017 um 19:16 Uhr
> > > Von: "Pete Biggs" <[hidden email]>
> > > An: [hidden email]
> > > Betreff: Re: [Evolution] "You have Unsent Messages"
> > >

> > > I didn't think Evolution used per-account Outboxes - everything is sent
> > > through the local Outbox.  I certainly can't see an option to change
> > > which outbox it uses (perhaps it depends on the account type?).
> > >

> > Just for an example: With IMAP I can configure Evo to use that same
> > outbox (on the server), which is used by the web interface ...
> >

> Where do you configure Evolution to do that?

Change which default folder to save sent messages in:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-default-folder-locations.html

> (And why would you?)
Have you never been "on the road" without any of your own devices and unexpectedly forced to respond to incoming mail. I consider it very helpful then to know what I have sent before - and see that on any device that can log in to your account.

Re: "You have Unsent Messages"

Pete Biggs

> > > Just for an example: With IMAP I can configure Evo to use that same
> > > outbox (on the server), which is used by the web interface ...
> > >

> > Where do you configure Evolution to do that?
>
> Change which default folder to save sent messages in:
> https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-default-folder-locations.html

OK, that's the Sent folder, not the Outbox, they are very different
things.  The "Outbox" is the place that messages are put in to before
they are sent, a sort of temporary holding area after the mail is
composed and before it is actually passed on to the SMTP server. If the
SMTP server is unreachable or the mail is not sent for some reason then
the messages are held in the Outbox. The messages in the Outbox are
processed periodically or when the Send/Receive button is pressed.

Only after the mail has been successfully sent is it copied from the
Outbox to the configured Sent folder.

If you look under "On This Computer" you can see that the "Outbox" and
"Sent" are completely separate.

> > (And why would you?)
>
> Have you never been "on the road" without any of your own devices and
> unexpectedly forced to respond to incoming mail. I consider it very
> helpful then to know what I have sent before - and see that on any
> device that can log in to your account.

Yes, OK - all my Sent folders are on the relevant remote account, that
is normal.  The Outbox is local to whatever machine the mail is
composed on - it is not logical to have it anywhere else.