search by content

since a few days the search does not work for me like it used to: Before
(tm) I could search all mail relatively quickly (~20.000 Mails) with "search by content".
Now it remains with "Generating message list".

Two things happened during this period that are not commonplace for me and
therefore might have something to do with it?

1.) I updated the package a few days ago to: evolution-3.36.3-1.fc32.x86_64
2.) I received many very long text mails a few days ago (up to 30 MB logfile
text in the mail body). I have deleted them but maybe it is because of the
structure of the cache/index/db? and therefore may have something to do with it?

I read that the folders.db in ~/cache/evolution/mail/xxx/ might have
something to do with it?

Thanks
Helge

Re: search by content

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 10:17 +0200, Wiethoff, Helge via evolution-list
wrote:
> since a few days the search does not work for me like it used to:
> Before (tm) I could search all mail relatively quickly (~20.000
> Mails) with "search by content". Now it remains with "Generating
> message list".

        Hi,
I hope it won't sound odd, but let's start with something simple: when
you look at the top, above the message list, it says:

   Show: [ All Messages ]  Search: [ your term ] in [ Current Folder ]

verify that the 'in' part is 'Current Folder'. All the other options
there can mean constructing a search folder and fill it with other
folders, which can, in turn, mean a lot of work. Definitely more than
if searching in the current folder only.

Otherwise things depend on various aspects, like what account type this
is about, whether you are online or offline (because some accounts can
search in message body by asking the server for the response), and so
on. You can also try to run evolution from a terminal, to see whether
it claims any issue there.

Re: search by content

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi Milan,

thanks for your quick response!

Am Mittwoch, den 10.06.2020, 10:53 +0200 schrieb Milan Crha via evolution-
list:
> verify that the 'in' part is 'Current Folder'.

It's set like that.

> Otherwise things depend on various aspects, like what account type this
> is about, whether you are online or offline
I think this was the right hint: If I set the connection to "offline" in the
lower left corner, the search works again.

Its evolution-ews (online) and i set "Synchronize remote mail locally in all
folders".

Regards
Helge

Re: search by content

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 12:04 +0200, Wiethoff, Helge via evolution-list
wrote:
> Its evolution-ews (online) and i set "Synchronize remote mail locally
> in all folders".

        Hi,
it's weird you noticed it only now. It's there for quite some time
(since 3.24.0). There is one change in the searching made for
3.36.3 [1], which has some impact on the search performance, but I'd
not expect it to influence this particular search.

Just to make things clear, how precisely do you search in the folder,
please? Being it with the panel above the message list or otherwise,
and what exact settings you use there, please?

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/821
    with one follow-up bug:
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/222

Re: search by content

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Am Mittwoch, den 10.06.2020, 12:31 +0200 schrieb Milan Crha via evolution-
list:
> Just to make things clear, how precisely do you search in the folder,
> please? Being it with the panel above the message list or otherwise,
> and what exact settings you use there, please?

Actually its not a really specific search variant. I always wondered why it
is working so good anyway :-)

I simply search the folder with the panel above the message list and search
by "Message contains" in "Current folder".

I tried to downgrade evolution and with evolution-3.36.1 evolution-ews-
3.36.1 the search works fine again.

In short:
Using evolution-3.36.3:
online: searching by "Message contains" takes ages. I don't know if it
finishes sometime.
offline: searching by "Message contains" in a folder with ~20.000 messages
takes ~30 seconds.

Using evolution-3.36.1:
online: searching by "Message contains" in a folder with ~20.000 messages
takes ~2 seconds.

thanks!
Helge

Re: search by content

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-06-11 at 11:44 +0200, Wiethoff, Helge via evolution-list
wrote:

> In short:
> Using evolution-3.36.3:
> online: searching by "Message contains" takes ages. I don't know if
> it finishes sometime.
> offline: searching by "Message contains" in a folder with ~20.000
> messages takes ~30 seconds.
>
> Using evolution-3.36.1:
> online: searching by "Message contains" in a folder with ~20.000
> messages takes ~2 seconds.

        Hi,
I see. I'm able to reproduce it too. It is related to the search
optimizations made for 3.36.3 I mentioned earlier. The 'Message
contains' uses a search in headers and body, while the 'Body contains'
searches only in the body (and which is lightning fast, with compare of
the 'Message contains' search). The 'Message contains' search should be
changed.

Would you mind to file a bug against Evolution [1], please? It'll help
to track the regression and the change for it.
        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new

Re: search by content

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Am Donnerstag, den 11.06.2020, 12:29 +0200 schrieb Milan Crha via evolution-
list:
> Would you mind to file a bug against Evolution [1], please?

For sure. I'm happy if I can do at least that.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/982

Thank you very much and best regardsHelge