search emails on (IMAP) server

Lukas Pirl
Dear all,

with Evolution 3.32.1, is it possible to run search queries on an IMAP server?
If users have a few thousand emails, downloading them all for a local search
is not really feasible.

Cheers,

Lukas

Re: search emails on (IMAP) server

Pete Biggs

> with Evolution 3.32.1, is it possible to run search queries on an IMAP server?
> If users have a few thousand emails, downloading them all for a local search
> is not really feasible.

If your IMAP server advertises that it supports server side search,
then Evolution will use it.  I recently turned on indexing for my
Dovecot server and that resulted in an almost instantaneous return of
search results on folders of over 100k messages.

On Thu, 2019-04-11 at 14:47 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> If your IMAP server advertises that it supports server side search,
> then Evolution will use it.

Thanks Pete.
Looking at the process stats of my email server, you don't seem to lie. :)

For future reference (i.e., other users trying to find this functionality in
the menus), I tried to mention this automagism on the help pages:

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/merge_requests/8/diffs

Best,

Lukas

Re: search emails on (IMAP) server

Pete Biggs

> Thanks Pete.
> Looking at the process stats of my email server, you don't seem to lie. :)

I may not lie, but there's more to it.  It depends on what sort of
search you are doing.  If Evo can do the search locally (like searching
for Subject or Address - i.e. fields it downloads automatically) then
it will do. It is only for searches such as "Message Contains" or "Body
Contains" that it uses server side.

And I must say as well that I'm not a developer and I don't magically
know these things.  This was discussed on the mailing list just a month
ago in this thread:

  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2019-March/msg00009.html

On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 11:27 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> I may not lie, but there's more to it.  It depends on what sort of
> search you are doing.  If Evo can do the search locally (like searching
> for Subject or Address - i.e. fields it downloads automatically) then
> it will do. It is only for searches such as "Message Contains" or "Body
> Contains" that it uses server side.

Thanks Pete, I extended the merge request¹ accordingly.

lp

¹ https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/merge_requests/8/diffs