send in background

Gary Curtin
Having been a Thunderbird user for many years, in that application I had set message sending to be in background. I am so used to starting a new message after clicking send, that the delay while the message is sent is causing me some frustration. I since selected to send messages through Outbox folder, which reduced the time significantly, but there is still some small delay before the compose window is closed.

Any idea how to improve on this with Evolution3.28.1-2 on Ubuntu 18.04?

Re: send in background

Pete Biggs
On Sun, 2018-06-17 at 08:40 +0200, Gary Curtin wrote:
> Having been a Thunderbird user for many years, in that application I
> had set message sending to be in background. I am so used to starting
> a new message after clicking send, that the delay while the message
> is sent is causing me some frustration. I since selected to send
> messages through Outbox folder, which reduced the time significantly,

That is, effectively, "send in background".

> but there is still some small delay before the compose window is
> closed.

I suspect it's Evolution storing the mail in the sent folder. You don't
say what sort of mail account it is, but if your sent messages are on
an IMAP account, then there may be some network delays.  When you say
"small delay", what do you mean? 0.5s, 1s, 5s, 3 minutes?

> Any idea how to improve on this with Evolution3.28.1-2 on Ubuntu 18.04?

But, I don't really understand the problem - you can have multiple
compose windows open and there's nothing to stop you from starting to
compose another email while the other one spends time sending.
Besides, yes, the compose window stays open while things are finished,
but TBH I don't think I could physically move the mouse fast enough
between clicking "Send" and getting to the message window and clicking
"New" or selecting a new message and clicking "Reply".

I suppose if you have a small screen and the compose window covers the
main window, then that might be frustrating (although I've never seen
the delay being long enough to cause an issue unless there's a network
problem).  What you are effectively saying you want is for the compose
window to disappear as soon as you press send?  I think the problem
with that is the sending status messages appear in that window and if
there are problems with sending, the composed message needs to be shown
 so that the user can decide what to do (Try Again / Save as draft /
Discard / Cancel).

Re: send in background

Gary Curtin
Thanks for the reply Pete.

That is, effectively, "send in background".

I suspected that was as close to send in background as I could get, but was still hoping there may be something more.

But, I don't really understand the problem - you can have multiple
compose windows open and there's nothing to stop you from starting to
compose another email while the other one spends time sending.

I guess it is just from habit that as soon as I click send, I expect the window to close so I can get on with other things. Yes, I can click again on the main Evolution window and continue, but again I was hoping for a little more.

Besides, yes, the compose window stays open while things are finished,
but TBH I don't think I could physically move the mouse fast enough
between clicking "Send" and getting to the message window and clicking
"New" or selecting a new message and clicking "Reply".

I suppose things are different for you as it does take a few seconds before the window closes on my computer. I guess from years of gaming my mouse reflexes are very fast. :-)

What you are effectively saying you want is for the compose
window to disappear as soon as you press send?  I think the problem
with that is the sending status messages appear in that window and if
there are problems with sending, the composed message needs to be shown
 so that the user can decide what to do (Try Again / Save as draft /
Discard / Cancel).

Yes, you are absolutely correct about what I want, and you also have a few good points. However, there is the message pane that appears below the tool bar when things go wrong, so that just seems like double notifications.

I guess I just need to adjust if I can't have it setup to what I am used to. Except for this issue and the RSS problem, I am quite happy with Evolution.

Gary

Re: send in background

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2018-06-17 at 13:00 +0200, Gary Curtin wrote:
> I guess I just need to adjust if I can't have it setup to what I am
> used to. Except for this issue and the RSS problem, I am quite happy
> with Evolution.

You might want to register your suggestion as a Request For Enhancement
on the Bugzilla page. Otherwise it will likely be forgotten.