spool directory always none

luigi
Hi all,

I use Evolution version 3.12.11 in a Scientific Linux release 7.2
(Nitrogen). Since a few weeks, I'm not able to change the preference of
any mail account. In particular,
1) I can not setting the file spool mbox: when I select a spool file
in /var/spool/mail/xxxx it is alwaye setting to "none" and I obtain the
following messages:  evolution-mail-WARNING **:
receive_update_got_folderinfo:  Store root (null) is not an absolute
path.
2) I can not leave messages on the mail server. When I check this
option , it is always uncheck.

I have uninstall and reinstall evolution, but the problem remains.

Luigi

Re: spool directory always none

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Wed, 2016-12-28 at 20:36 +0100, luigi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use Evolution version 3.12.11 in a Scientific Linux release 7.2
> (Nitrogen). Since a few weeks, I'm not able to change the preference of
> any mail account. In particular,
> 1) I can not setting the file spool mbox: when I select a spool file
> in /var/spool/mail/xxxx it is alwaye setting to "none" and I obtain the
> following messages:  evolution-mail-WARNING **:
> receive_update_got_folderinfo:  Store root (null) is not an absolute
> path.
> 2) I can not leave messages on the mail server. When I check this
> option , it is always uncheck.
>
> I have uninstall and reinstall evolution, but the problem remains.

Reinstalling Evolution (or indeed any Linux package) is almost never a
useful thing to do as the specific settings are kept in your home
directory and not changed by reinstallation.

Version 3.12.x of Evolution is very out of date, so you should try to
get a later version if it exists for your distro.

You haven't said what kind of mail accounts you use (IMAP, POP,
Exchange, ...). This makes a big difference in the possible causes of
your problem.

Re: spool directory always none

luigi
Hi all,
before to reinstall evolution , I delete $HOME/.local/share/evolution
and $HOME/.config/.evolution.
The version 3.12.11 of evolution is the last version of Scientific Linux
7.2.
I use either:
1)POP account with the problem that I cannot leave messages on the mail
server
2)local account with the problem that I can not set the spool file.

I would understand if my Scientific Linux 7.2 is misconfigured and I
must reinstall it

Luigi

On Thu, 2016-12-29 at 16:23 +0100, luigi wrote:
> Hi all,
> before to reinstall evolution , I delete $HOME/.local/share/evolution
> and $HOME/.config/.evolution.

If you're doing that then reinstalling the Evolution packages really is
a waste of time. Absolutely nothing will change.

> The version 3.12.11 of evolution is the last version of Scientific Linux
> 7.2.
> I use either:
> 1)POP account with the problem that I cannot leave messages on the mail
> server

What exactly happens when you try this? Please give the actual error
messages you see. Are you sure your email provider allows Leave On
Server (e.g. does it work with other mail clients such as Thunderbird?)

(You may want to consider switching to IMAP if your provider supports
it. It's better in every way.)

> 2)local account with the problem that I can not set the spool file.

Again, what are you doing and what error messages do you get?

> I would understand if my Scientific Linux 7.2 is misconfigured and I
> must reinstall it

Don't assume that everything is fixable by reinstalling. We're not
talking about Windows here.

OTOH your system *is* out of date. Scientific Linux was essentially
RHEL with some extra packages, but is no longer supported except for
security updates. That means you are heading for trouble sooner or
later because at some point the software you use will no longer be
updated (like Evolution). I would recommend taking a look at CentOS and
adding the specific additional packages you need.

Re: spool directory always none

Pete Biggs

> OTOH your system *is* out of date. Scientific Linux was essentially
> RHEL with some extra packages, but is no longer supported except for
> security updates.

No, sorry, SL is *still* RHEL - the OP is using SL 7.2, which is the
same as RHEL 7.2 and CentOS 7.2 (with extra packages). It is a bit out
of date since RHEL/CentOS is now at 7.3 (but Evolution is still
3.12.11)

On Fri, 2016-12-30 at 22:39 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > OTOH your system *is* out of date. Scientific Linux was essentially
> > RHEL with some extra packages, but is no longer supported except for
> > security updates.
>
> No, sorry, SL is *still* RHEL - the OP is using SL 7.2, which is the
> same as RHEL 7.2 and CentOS 7.2 (with extra packages). It is a bit out
> of date since RHEL/CentOS is now at 7.3 (but Evolution is still
> 3.12.11)

Yes, I misread the version information on SL and got the impression it
was no longer being updated.

Re: spool directory always none

luigi
Hi all,

I install the Centos evolution package:
evolution-3.12.11-22.el7.x86_64 and
evolution-data-server-3.12.11-37.el7.x86_64

and now evolution works fine !

Thanks to all

Luigi