strange spamassasin problem

Richard Bown
Hi
I've checked all the other mail clients and it definitely evo that is
doing this.
If I send a mail to my wife [hidden email], evo decides its spam,
clicking on mark as not spam has no effect, so does clicking on the not
spam icon on the tool bar.
After a complete reinstall of Evo I get [hidden email] going to her
inbox AND the spam folder.
The headers show it as ham and whitelisted.
If I click on the message in the spam folder and mark it as not spam
nothing happens.
How do you clear the spam data , where is it located on a linux system
Evo version 3.18.5.2
I'll try a full delete of Evo , config files n all and reinstall, and
see if that does it , any ideas ???/
--
 Best wishes /73
 Richard Bown

 Email : [hidden email]

 HTTP  :  http://www.g8jvm.com

 ####################################################################################
 Ham Call: G8JVM . QRV: 50-432 MHz + Microwave
 Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
 QRV 6mtrs 200W, 4mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 300W, 70cms 200W, 23cms 140W, 13cms 100W & 3cms 5W
 OS: Linux Mint 18.2 x86_64 on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop

Re: strange spamassasin problem

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2018-06-07 at 12:10 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:

> Hi
> I've checked all the other mail clients and it definitely evo that is
> doing this.
> If I send a mail to my wife [hidden email], evo decides its spam,
> clicking on mark as not spam has no effect, so does clicking on the not
> spam icon on the tool bar.
> After a complete reinstall of Evo I get [hidden email] going to her
> inbox AND the spam folder.
> The headers show it as ham and whitelisted.
> If I click on the message in the spam folder and mark it as not spam
> nothing happens.
> How do you clear the spam data , where is it located on a linux system

Which spam filter are you using? Evo supports two, viz. SpamAssasin and
Bogofilter, which may have to be installed (not all distros install
them by default). Look under Edit->Preferences->Plugins. Note that you
also have to train the filter, but this has nothing to do with
Evolution. See the documentation for each filter for information on
where its data is stored.

> Evo version 3.18.5.2
> I'll try a full delete of Evo , config files n all and reinstall, and
> see if that does it , any ideas ???/

Reinstalling Evo is a complete waste of time and will make no
difference. Removing config files might fix the problem, but before
doing that I suggest creating a new Linux user account, logging into it
and setting up one of your Evo accounts to see if the behaviour
changes. This will also involve training the spam filter.

On Thu, 2018-06-07 at 16:41 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Which spam filter are you using?

Sorry, just noticed that you mentioned SpamAssassin in the Subject.

You might want to try Bogofilter. I generally had good results with it
in the past (SA is really more for mail servers, though some people
like it.)

Personally I no longer do spam filtering in Evo. I just leave it up to
Google which does an excellent job, but I understand that this doesn't
suit everyone.

Re: strange spamassasin problem

Richard Bown
Hi Patrick

I've tried sending to [hidden email] with both bogofilter and
spamassasin selected .
I was using bogofilter with the previous mailer, Claws-mail.
and still get the same effect of the mail appearing in both her inbox
and junk.
My Mail provider uses spamassasin on their platform, and I can see from
the headers that its not being marked as spam there.
If I send mail to [hidden email] and immediately exit Evo, and then
monitor its delivery on the webmail site of the mail provider and two
android clients, the email lands in my wife inbox.
when I start Evo , using IMAP on all clients, as soon as Evo syncs with
server, the email also appears in the junk folder on Evo and on the
webmail server, also appears on both the android clients too.

Very weird

I have downloaded the stable tarball for 3.28, but I'm running a
Cinnamon DM so not sure how well it integrates , it maybe why Mint have
held the Evo version at 3.18.

words of wisdom appreciated

On Thu, 2018-06-07 at 16:41 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-06-07 at 12:10 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > I've checked all the other mail clients and it definitely evo that
> > is
> > doing this.
> > If I send a mail to my wife [hidden email], evo decides its spam,
> > clicking on mark as not spam has no effect, so does clicking on the
> > not
> > spam icon on the tool bar.
> > After a complete reinstall of Evo I get [hidden email] going to her
> > inbox AND the spam folder.
> > The headers show it as ham and whitelisted.
> > If I click on the message in the spam folder and mark it as not
> > spam
> > nothing happens.
> > How do you clear the spam data , where is it located on a linux
> > system
> Which spam filter are you using? Evo supports two, viz. SpamAssasin
> and
> Bogofilter, which may have to be installed (not all distros install
> them by default). Look under Edit->Preferences->Plugins. Note that
> you
> also have to train the filter, but this has nothing to do with
> Evolution. See the documentation for each filter for information on
> where its data is stored.
>

> > Evo version 3.18.5.2
> > I'll try a full delete of Evo , config files n all and reinstall,
> > and
> > see if that does it , any ideas ???/
> Reinstalling Evo is a complete waste of time and will make no
> difference. Removing config files might fix the problem, but before
> doing that I suggest creating a new Linux user account, logging into
> it
> and setting up one of your Evo accounts to see if the behaviour
> changes. This will also involve training the spam filter.
>
> poc

 Best wishes /73
 Richard Bown

 Email : [hidden email]

 HTTP  :  http://www.g8jvm.com

 ####################################################################################
 Ham Call: G8JVM . QRV: 50-432 MHz + Microwave
 Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
 QRV 6mtrs 200W, 4mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 300W, 70cms 200W, 23cms 140W, 13cms 100W & 3cms 5W
 OS: Linux Mint 18.2 x86_64 on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop

Re: strange spamassasin problem

Pete Biggs

> My Mail provider uses spamassasin on their platform, and I can see from
> the headers that its not being marked as spam there.

Being Devil's advocate - if your provider is spam filtering, why are
you even bothering with it on your own machines?  Just turn it off.

> If I send mail to [hidden email] and immediately exit Evo, and then
> monitor its delivery on the webmail site of the mail provider and two
> android clients, the email lands in my wife inbox.
> when I start Evo , using IMAP on all clients, as soon as Evo syncs with
> server, the email also appears in the junk folder on Evo and on the
> webmail server, also appears on both the android clients too.

Check in Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Preferences -> Junk to see if you
are accidentally filtering on something you shouldn't (or possibly a
filter elsewhere).  For a while I filtered mail on the presence of the
'X-Spam-Flag' header; then my server side spam filter decided to always
add that header even if it wasn't spam so everything ended up as spam.
So I had to change it to filter on a specific value of that header.

> I have downloaded the stable tarball for 3.28, but I'm running a
> Cinnamon DM so not sure how well it integrates , it maybe why Mint have
> held the Evo version at 3.18.

You need more than just the Evolution tarball - you need at least
evolution-data-server as well, and that has dependencies within Gnome
3.28. It's not something for the feint hearted - if it was a simple
process to have Evolution out of sync with the underlying Gnome version
 more distros would do it!

If you really want to try to build it yourself, the instructions are
here:

 https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Building

or using flatpack

 https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak

Re: strange spamassasin problem

On Thu, 2018-06-07 at 12:10 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> If I click on the message in the spam folder and mark it as not spam
> nothing happens.

        Hi,
run evolution from a terminal like this:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=junk evolution

and then repeat the steps. It will show you why the message had been
marked as spam on delivery. I hope in your old version too. Clicking
Not Junk button should produce some info as well.

Whether visually "anything happens" when you click that button in a
Junk folder depends on several things. One of them being whether the
Junk folder is a real folder or virtual. There's a settings for it in
the Defaults tab for your IMAP account Properties. When it's a virtual
folder then marking message as not Junk simply means to unset a flag on
the message (apart of telling the spam software that the message is
ham), which removes the message from the Junk folder and shows it in
its original folder (where it is all the time). When the Junk folder is
a real folder then there's no information where the message belongs,
thus Evolution doesn't know where to move it. At least in your version.
The latest version moves the message to the Inbox.

I recall there had been a bug about having set the Junk flag
"accidentally" by evolution when received. I do not have the bug link
handy, but I do not recall seeing anything like that with the recent
version.

Re: strange spamassasin problem

Richard Bown
Hi Milan
I tried that and its not happy:-

richard@richard-Inspiron-N5030 ~ $ CAMEL_DEBUG=junk evolution

(evolution:6397): camel-WARNING **: Failed to initialize NSS SQL
database in sql:/etc/pki/nssdb: NSS error -8126
openjdk version "1.8.0_171"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_171-8u171-b11-
0ubuntu0.16.04.1-b11)

So had a look at /etc/pki/nssdb which is a symlink, the permissions 777
BUT
/var/lib/nssdb only has read permissions apart from root

So I changed them to 666 and the nssdb inits OK

richard@richard-Inspiron-N5030 ~ $ CAMEL_DEBUG=junk evolution
openjdk version "1.8.0_171"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_171-8u171-b11-
0ubuntu0.16.04.1-b11)

Still trying to get to the bottom of this one.

On Fri, 2018-06-08 at 08:23 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-06-07 at 12:10 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> >
> > If I click on the message in the spam folder and mark it as not
> > spam
> > nothing happens.
> Hi,
> run evolution from a terminal like this:
>
>    $ CAMEL_DEBUG=junk evolution
>
> and then repeat the steps. It will show you why the message had been
> marked as spam on delivery. I hope in your old version too. Clicking
> Not Junk button should produce some info as well.
>
> Whether visually "anything happens" when you click that button in a
> Junk folder depends on several things. One of them being whether the
> Junk folder is a real folder or virtual. There's a settings for it in
> the Defaults tab for your IMAP account Properties. When it's a
> virtual
> folder then marking message as not Junk simply means to unset a flag
> on
> the message (apart of telling the spam software that the message is
> ham), which removes the message from the Junk folder and shows it in
> its original folder (where it is all the time). When the Junk folder
> is
> a real folder then there's no information where the message belongs,
> thus Evolution doesn't know where to move it. At least in your
> version.
> The latest version moves the message to the Inbox.
>
> I recall there had been a bug about having set the Junk flag
> "accidentally" by evolution when received. I do not have the bug link
> handy, but I do not recall seeing anything like that with the recent
> version.

 Best wishes /73
 Richard Bown

 Email : [hidden email]