[tentative query] is it possible to subscribe to other people's published outlook calendars

[tentative query] is it possible to subscribe to other people's published outlook calendars

I'm in the unfortunate position of being required to use Outlook for
calendaring for work. I am able to set up Evolution with minimal effort
to be able to see my own calendar. However, I don't see a way to be
able to view calendars that other people in the organisation have
published and that Ican see via the Outlook web client or the android
app for Outlook.

I'd rather not use either the web client or the android app if
possible, so it would be great if I could subscribe somehow to these
calendars via Evolution.

I'm using a rather old Evolution (3.28.5 - due to ubuntu lag).

thanks for any help or suggestions
Dan

Re: [tentative query] is it possible to subscribe to other people's published outlook calendars

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 04:27 +0200, Dan Kortschak via evolution-list
wrote:
> it would be great if I could subscribe somehow to these
> calendars via Evolution.

        Hi,
right click the account name in the Mail view and choose "Subscribe to
folder of other user". This is shown also in the File menu in the more
recent version of the Evolution.

Re: [tentative query] is it possible to subscribe to other people's published outlook calendars

Louis van Dyk
Hi Dan

I've had that one with another user's Inbox.

When in the Mail view, right click on the Title of your EWS Mail Account (just above Inbox) and the "Subscribe to folder of another user", if in the Calendar view, click File / Subscribe to folder of other EWS user.

Then choose the user and the folder to subscribe to - in your case Calendar.

Regards,
Louis

On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 09:25 +0200, Louis van Dyk wrote:

> Hi Dan
>
> I've had that one with another user's Inbox.
>
> When in the Mail view, right click on the Title of your EWS Mail
> Account (just above Inbox) and the "Subscribe to folder of another
> user", if in the Calendar view, click File / Subscribe to folder of
> other EWS user.
>
> Then choose the user and the folder to subscribe to - in your case
> Calendar.
>
> Regards,
> Louis

Thanks, Milan and Louis.

This almost does what I want.

When I do this I am presented with a list of folders to choose from. I
imagine that I want Calendar, so I choose this and select "Include
subfolders" since the calendar in question is a sub-calendar (not their
main calendar). This fails because I don't have access to this person's
main calendar although they have sent me an invitation for access to
the new calendar. I don't see a way to choose the new topic-specific
calendar (I looked through the xml that comes with the invite and
nothing pops out as an identifier that works).

Re: [tentative query] is it possible to subscribe to other people's published outlook calendars

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 11:37 +0200, Dan Kortschak via evolution-list
wrote:
> When I do this I am presented with a list of folders to choose from.
> I imagine that I want Calendar, so I choose this and select "Include
> subfolders" since the calendar in question is a sub-calendar (not
> their main calendar). This fails because I don't have access to this
> person's main calendar although they have sent me an invitation for
> access to the new calendar. I don't see a way to choose the new
> topic-specific calendar (I looked through the xml that comes with the
> invite and nothing pops out as an identifier that works).

        Hi,
subscribing to other than the default folders is possible, but it's
tricky, because you need an Exchange Web Services folder ID to do that.
One way, if the other person uses the Evolution as well, is to
right-click the shared calendar in his/her account and pick
"Permissions...". There's the folder ID shown at the top. It can be
selected and copied out. Just make sure you copy the whole text (it's
lengthy; do not be afraid of the three dots, which are only a visual
thing).

With respect of the share invitation mails handling, that's filled here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-ews/-/issues/90

It contains some information on how to convert the information from the
mail's XML (which you have) to EWS ID (which you need), but calling it
is tricky. I just added some steps how to manually convert the sharing
invitation ID to EWS ID there. Hope it helps.

On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 13:50 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> subscribing to other than the default folders is possible, but it's
> tricky, because you need an Exchange Web Services folder ID to do
> that.
> One way, if the other person uses the Evolution as well, is to
> right-click the shared calendar in his/her account and pick
> "Permissions...". There's the folder ID shown at the top. It can be
> selected and copied out. Just make sure you copy the whole text (it's
> lengthy; do not be afraid of the three dots, which are only a visual
> thing).
>
> With respect of the share invitation mails handling, that's filled
> here:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-ews/-/issues/90
>
> It contains some information on how to convert the information from
> the
> mail's XML (which you have) to EWS ID (which you need), but calling
> it
> is tricky. I just added some steps how to manually convert the
> sharing
> invitation ID to EWS ID there. Hope it helps.

Thanks.

The recipe at 90 did not work for me (I got a 401 Unauthorized when I
invoked curl), so I will try the in-evolution approach in the first
paragraph.

Re: [tentative query] is it possible to subscribe to other people's published outlook calendars

On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 13:50 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> > subscribing to other than the default folders is possible, but it's
> > tricky, because you need an Exchange Web Services folder ID to do
> > that.
> > One way, if the other person uses the Evolution as well, is to
> > right-click the shared calendar in his/her account and pick
> > "Permissions...". There's the folder ID shown at the top. It can be
> > selected and copied out. Just make sure you copy the whole text
>
> (it's
> > lengthy; do not be afraid of the three dots, which are only a
>
> visual
> > thing).

Hi,

I have obtained the folder ID which looks like it might be a base64
encoding. It's 70 characters long. I'm not sure how to use this though
now.

When I go to "Subscribe to folder of other EWS user..." I can select
the appropriate user in the "User:" field, but if I put the folder ID
in the "Folder name:" field (the only remaining place) undecorated. I
get the following error: "Id is malformed." after a pop-up that
disappears to quickly to be able to read.

The XML that's returned (looking via EWS_DEBUG=2) says essentially the
same thing.

```
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">;;;;
  <s:Header>
    <h:ServerVersionInfo xmlns:h="
http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/types" xmlns:xsd="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" MajorVersion="15"
MinorVersion="20" MajorBuildNumber="3239" MinorBuildNumber="18"
Version="V2018_01_08"/>
  </s:Header>
  <s:Body>
    <m:GetFolderResponse xmlns:m="
http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/messages"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:t="
http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/types">;;;;
      <m:ResponseMessages>
        <m:GetFolderResponseMessage ResponseClass="Error">
          <m:MessageText>Id is malformed.</m:MessageText>
          <m:ResponseCode>ErrorInvalidIdMalformed</m:ResponseCode>
          <m:DescriptiveLinkKey>0</m:DescriptiveLinkKey>
          <m:Folders/>
        </m:GetFolderResponseMessage>
      </m:ResponseMessages>
    </m:GetFolderResponse>
  </s:Body>
</s:Envelope>
```

This is what evolution sent to the server (made human readable):
```
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
                xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">;
        <SOAP-ENV:Header>
                <types:RequestServerVersion
                        xmlns:types="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/types" Version="Exchange2013"/>
        </SOAP-ENV:Header>
        <SOAP-ENV:Body
                xmlns:messages="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/messages">;
                <messages:GetFolder xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/types">;
                        <messages:FolderShape>
                                <BaseShape>
                                </BaseShape>
                                <AdditionalProperties>
                                        <FieldURI FieldURI="folder:FolderClass"/>
                                        <FieldURI FieldURI="folder:ParentFolderId"/>
                                </AdditionalProperties>
                        </messages:FolderShape>
                        <messages:FolderIds>
                                <FolderId Id="<70-byte-folder-ID"/>
                        </messages:FolderIds>
                </messages:GetFolder>
        </SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>
```

Is there something else that I need to do to this ID to get it to be
accepted?

thanks
Dan

Re: [tentative query] is it possible to subscribe to other people's published outlook calendars

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-07-30 at 08:22 +0200, Dan Kortschak via evolution-list
wrote:
> When I go to "Subscribe to folder of other EWS user..." I can select
> the appropriate user in the "User:" field, but if I put the folder ID
> in the "Folder name:" field (the only remaining place) undecorated. I
> get the following error: "Id is malformed." after a pop-up that
> disappears to quickly to be able to read.

        Hi,
that's correct, you put the ID into the "Folder name:" field.

If the server says the ID is malformed, then I'd trust it. Maybe there
was an error in the copy&paste of the ID? The folder ID I get from an
Exchange server is much longer than 70 letters, it looks like this:

   AAAkAAAwAAA3AmAAAA1iAAAzAAA4AAAtAAAAAAAwAgAuAAAAv8cmqiknA0a3AyAA3/AAAAAAcAogAm2u7kyp2AAAA1gAAgAAdn6rAwAAAA==

I guess your copy stopped at the '/' or similar letter. I copied the ID
from the Permissions dialog by triple-clicking the ID, which selects
whole text, not only one word.

On Thu, 2020-07-30 at 08:39 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> that's correct, you put the ID into the "Folder name:" field.
>
> If the server says the ID is malformed, then I'd trust it. Maybe
> there
> was an error in the copy&paste of the ID? The folder ID I get from an
> Exchange server is much longer than 70 letters, it looks like this:
>
>    AAAkAAAwAAA3AmAAAA1iAAAzAAA4AAAtAAAAAAAwAgAuAAAAv8cmqiknA0a3AyAA3/
> AAAAAAcAogAm2u7kyp2AAAA1gAAgAAdn6rAwAAAA==
>
> I guess your copy stopped at the '/' or similar letter. I copied the
> ID
> from the Permissions dialog by triple-clicking the ID, which selects
> whole text, not only one word.

Thank you, that has worked.

As an aside, is there a reason that select all (Ctrl-A) does not work
in the Folder ID field?

thanks
Dan

Re: [tentative query] is it possible to subscribe to other people's published outlook calendars

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-07-31 at 06:58 +0200, Dan Kortschak via evolution-list
wrote:
> As an aside, is there a reason that select all (Ctrl-A) does not work
> in the Folder ID field?

        Hi,
I've no idea, there's definitely no code to disallow it. Maybe it's a
side effect of the GtkEntry, when it's not editable (it is read-only).
It even cannot be focused (no cursor blinking).