upgrade woes Part Deux

Brewster Gillett
On Saturday I posted a query about my new 3.18.5.2 claim that it has no network
connection. I have verification that this is an Evo problem, because my browser
is connecting to the Net just fine, as are my iPad and iPhone, which both,
by the way, are using the same mail server, with all the same setup choices as Evo, and they're fetching and sending mail with no problem.

Andre offered a workaround, which does force Evo to fetch mail, but unless I leave Evo
running 24/7, I have to invoke that command again every time I want to run Evo.

That helps somewhat, but it is *not* a fix for the problem.

I am not running some idiosyncratic collection of hardware, or unusual arrangement
of broadband or mail server. As I pointed out above, my other devices which are
using the same exact mail settings as Evolution are connecting just fine.
What occasioned this is the upgrade fromUbuntu 14.04 to 16.04, which apparently
upgraded Evo to the 3.18.5.2.

I find it difficult to accept that this sort of glitch should beset a straightforward
distro upgrade. And I can't believe that this problem is unique to my lashup;
surely it has happened elsewhere. Which means presumably that there is a fix;
a permanent fix, out there somewhere. N'est-ce pas?

Brewster

Sent from my iPad

Re: upgrade woes Part Deux

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2017-05-01 at 11:09 -0700, bg wrote:

> On Saturday I posted a query about my new 3.18.5.2 claim that it has no network
> connection. I have verification that this is an Evo problem, because my browser
> is connecting to the Net just fine, as are my iPad and iPhone, which both,
> by the way, are using the same mail server, with all the same setup choices as Evo, and they're fetching and sending mail with no problem.
>
> Andre offered a workaround, which does force Evo to fetch mail, but unless I leave Evo
> running 24/7, I have to invoke that command again every time I want to run Evo.
>
> That helps somewhat, but it is *not* a fix for the problem.
>
> I am not running some idiosyncratic collection of hardware, or unusual arrangement
> of broadband or mail server. As I pointed out above, my other devices which are
> using the same exact mail settings as Evolution are connecting just fine.
> What occasioned this is the upgrade fromUbuntu 14.04 to 16.04, which apparently
> upgraded Evo to the 3.18.5.2.
>
> I find it difficult to accept that this sort of glitch should beset a straightforward
> distro upgrade. And I can't believe that this problem is unique to my lashup;
> surely it has happened elsewhere. Which means presumably that there is a fix;
> a permanent fix, out there somewhere. N'est-ce pas?

https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/offline.html.en

Re: upgrade woes Part Deux

> Andre offered a workaround, which does force Evo to fetch mail, but unless I leave Evo
> running 24/7, I have to invoke that command again every time I want to run Evo.
>
> That helps somewhat, but it is *not* a fix for the problem.

OK, so Evolution is working fine, it's a problem with your network
configuration.

> I find it difficult to accept that this sort of glitch should beset a straightforward
> distro upgrade.

I don't think a major version upgrade of any distro could be termed
"straightforward", there will always be issues.

> And I can't believe that this problem is unique to my lashup;
> surely it has happened elsewhere. Which means presumably that there is a fix;
> a permanent fix, out there somewhere. N'est-ce pas?

Patrick has given you the link to the Evolution help on this issue - I
don't know why your extensive Googling didn't find it.

To expand on what the problem is, Evolution takes it's on-line/off-line
status from the reported status of the network connection.  This is so
that if your network connection drops, Evo goes into off-line mode so
that you don't get bombarded with error pop-ups when it can't fetch
your email. (The on-line/off-line status is shown by the network icon
in the bottom left hand corner.)

If your system erroneously reports the connection status to Evolution
it will go off-line - other applications that don't need to monitor the
network status will keep on working.

The bottom line is that there is something wrong/different/non-standard
with your network configuration such that the network monitoring
function Evo uses (GNetworkMonitor I believe) is reporting the wrong
status.

This isn't passing the buck, but it really isn't an Evolution issue.
Evolution is working as it should do, albeit with erroneous
information. Because this sort of thing has been known in the past, a
workaround (that you've been told about) exists to get things working
while you find out the underlying network configuration cause. So yes,
you are correct in saying that the workaround is *not* a fix for the
problem, but it is *not* Evolution that needs to be fixed.

Re: upgrade woes Part Deux

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2017-05-02 at 00:01 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> If your system erroneously reports the connection status to Evolution
> it will go off-line - other applications that don't need to monitor the
> network status will keep on working.
>
> The bottom line is that there is something wrong/different/non-standard
> with your network configuration such that the network monitoring
> function Evo uses (GNetworkMonitor I believe) is reporting the wrong
> status.

In fact I think the reference I posted is the current version of
something I wrote for the FAQ (which seems to have vanished), but has
been "simplified". The original version was more explicit: check if
you're running NetworkManager. If you are, then Evo will believe what
it says, even if it's wrong. Sometimes NM needs to be configured to
manage the actual network interface you're using, as for some reason it
hasn't figured it out by default. As NM is (or was when I wrote this)
fairly new, one could have a system with the network functioning
correctly but that NM wasn't actually managing even though it was
running. NM would then tell Evo it was offline. Clear?

The solution is either a) kill NM and don't use it for anything
(probably a bad idea), or b) configure it properly so it knows about
your interface(s). That way it will correctly tell Evo when the network
is up.