validating an evolution ICS file

Matthias Apitz

Hello,

Some apps of my Ubuntu mobile phone makes use of evolution backends
to store contacts and alarms (alarm app). It seems that from time to time the ICS
file gets broken or somehow invalid (see the attachment). Do we have any
kind of ICS validator to get to know what exactly is the problem with
the file?

Thanks

        matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ [hidden email], http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!

tasks.ics (3K) Download Attachment

Re: validating an evolution ICS file

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi everybody,

please take a look at the forwarded message [1].
FWIW here is where to subscribe to the Eviolution mailing list:

Evolution is an Ubuntu "universe" repository package, it is not a "main"
repository package and apart from that, in April 2017 it was announced
that Phone support will be dropped.

Since Ubuntu migrated (back) to GNOME and Evolution is the GNOME MUA, it
would be interesting to hear an opinion from Mark Shuttleworth, not only
related to the OP's issue, but also to understand for what reason
Evolution is that often broken on Ubuntu and why it is not in the "main"
repository, while GNOME is the default DE of Ubuntu.

Since years I'm an Arch Linux, as well as Ubuntu user.

[root@archlinux moonstudio]# lsb_release -a
LSB Version: 1.4
Distributor ID: Arch
Release: rolling
Codename: n/a
[root@archlinux moonstudio]# systemd-nspawn -q lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-
noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-
noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

I stopped using Evolution on Ubuntu years ago, since Evolution on Ubuntu
is a PITA.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
Some apps of my Ubuntu mobile phone makes use of evolution backends
to store contacts and alarms (alarm app). It seems that from time to
time the ICS file gets broken or somehow invalid (see the attachment).
Do we have any kind of ICS validator to get to know what exactly is the
problem with the file?

Thanks

        matthias

--
The original mail with attachments is available by the archive:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2019-July/msg00087.html

Re: validating an evolution ICS file

> Some apps of my Ubuntu mobile phone makes use of evolution backends
> to store contacts and alarms (alarm app). It seems that from time to time the ICS
> file gets broken or somehow invalid (see the attachment). Do we have any
> kind of ICS validator to get to know what exactly is the problem with
> the file?

There are plenty of ICS validators on the net (just Google for "ics
validator").  They say your .ics file is valid.

I would usually advise you to run evolution or the backend from the
command line with debugging enabled to see what the issue is. But it's
a phone.

The only thing that might be an issue is that there is an audio file
"attached" to the alarm which has an absolute path. I don't know if
that path doesn't exist if it would be a problem.

On Sun, 2019-07-07 at 12:45 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> I would usually advise you to run evolution or the backend from the
> command line with debugging enabled to see what the issue is. But it's
> a phone.

But it's a FLOSS phone without restrictions, right? So the phones
architecture packages with debug symbols might be available, see

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2019-July/msg00004.html.

I don't know, if a phone is based upon some "container" approach such as
Ubuntu's snap. However, Ubuntu provides a lot of mailing lists, for all
kinds of issues ;), there even is a snappy related mailing list,
probably even one for Ubuntu phones.

Re: validating an evolution ICS file

Pete Biggs
On Sun, 2019-07-07 at 14:06 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-07-07 at 12:45 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > I would usually advise you to run evolution or the backend from the
> > command line with debugging enabled to see what the issue is. But it's
> > a phone.
>
> But it's a FLOSS phone without restrictions, right? So the phones
> architecture packages with debug symbols might be available, see

Not that sort of debugging. I meant this:

 https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging

sort of debugging.  I don't know if command line access to the backends
is possible in a phone environment (yes, I know the phones have
terminals, but I don't know how containerised the packages are).

Re: validating an evolution ICS file

> On Sun, 2019-07-07 at 12:45 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > I would usually advise you to run evolution or the backend from the
> > command line with debugging enabled to see what the issue is. But it's
> > a phone.
>
> But it's a FLOSS phone without restrictions, right? So the phones
> architecture packages with debug symbols might be available, see
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2019-July/msg00004.html.
>
> I don't know, if a phone is based upon some "container" approach such as
> Ubuntu's snap. However, Ubuntu provides a lot of mailing lists, for all
> kinds of issues ;), there even is a snappy related mailing list,
> probably even one for Ubuntu phones.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-phone

Sure, you need to be a team member, but on Ubuntu you already need to be
member of a team to edit f...... Wiki pages, it's just a little bit more
complicated kind of subscription. I would expect that a FreeBSD user
(such as Matthias) is be able to find appropriate search terms for usage
with Google, just avoid DuckDuckGo, if you are seriously interested in
meaningful results related to a discontinued Linux phone niche.

On Sun, 2019-07-07 at 13:22 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> I don't know if command line access to the backends is possible in a
> phone environment (yes, I know the phones have terminals, but I don't
> know how containerised the packages are).

Neither do I, but since Matthias is not just an Ubuntu phone user, but
also an experienced FreeBSD user, he should be able to find out himself
and inform the Evolution mailing list subscribers about all the attempts
he already tried. He's well aware that an Ubuntu phone is something
mega-freakish, since he isn't the average woman in the street.

Re: validating an evolution ICS file

> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-phone
>
> Sure, you need to be a team member, but on Ubuntu you already need to be
> member of a team to edit f...... Wiki pages, it's just a little bit more
> complicated kind of subscription. I would expect that a FreeBSD user
> (such as Matthias) is be able to find appropriate search terms for usage
> with Google, just avoid DuckDuckGo, if you are seriously interested in
> meaningful results related to a discontinued Linux phone niche.

Actually Matthias is already subscribed to the mailing list, see

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/

so he probably is able to inform us about phone related "bottlenecks",
before we waste more of our time by trying to help him, without being
aware about Ubuntu phone "bottlenecks"/"restrictions".

El día domingo, julio 07, 2019 a las 02:57:31p. m. +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list escribió:

> so he probably is able to inform us about phone related "bottlenecks",
> before we waste more of our time by trying to help him, without being
> aware about Ubuntu phone "bottlenecks"/"restrictions".

The problem with the alarm in the clock-app is that the entries are visible,
but they can not be modified or activated. The Ubuntu in the phone stores
the alarm entries in some ICS file:

phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~/.local/share/evolution/tasks/1541104807.16107.0@ubuntu-phablet$ ls -l
total 8
-rw-rw-r-- 1 phablet phablet 1495 Jul  7 19:44 tasks.ics
-rw-rw-r-- 1 phablet phablet 3471 Jul  2 02:15 tasks.ics.broken

If I rename the 'tasks.ics' to 'tasks.ics.broken' and restart the phone to
get all evo backends restarted, I can enter new alarm values and a new
file 'tasks.ics' will be created. All is fine. I thought that the old
file (renamed to 'tasks.ics.broken' and which I posted to this list) contains
invalid/corrupted entries. If this seems not to be the case, I will not
debug further this issue (simple, because I have no time for this nearly
insignificant issue).

The related processes in the phone are (just for the record):

phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~/.local/share/evolution/tasks/1541104807.16107.0@ubuntu-phablet$ ps ax | grep evo
 2726 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-source-registry
 2748 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-addressbook-factory
 2767 ?        Sl     0:02 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-addressbook-factory-subprocess --factory local --bus-name org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Subprocess.Backend.AddressBookx2748x2 --own-path /org/gnome/evolution/dataserver/Subprocess/Backend/AddressBook/2748/2
 3135 ?        Sl     0:01 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-calendar-factory
 3273 ?        Sl     0:02 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-calendar-factory-subprocess --factory contacts --bus-name org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Subprocess.Backend.Calendarx3135x2 --own-path /org/gnome/evolution/dataserver/Subprocess/Backend/Calendar/3135/2
 3296 ?        Sl     0:03 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-calendar-factory-subprocess --factory local --bus-name org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Subprocess.Backend.Calendarx3135x3 --own-path /org/gnome/evolution/dataserver/Subprocess/Backend/Calendar/3135/3
27011 pts/46   S+     0:00 grep --color=auto evo

Btw: Canonical (Ubuntu) has abandoned this project and it's now maintained by some FOSS community
UBports.com.

        matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ [hidden email], http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!

Re: validating an evolution ICS file

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi Matthias,

so "/usr/lib/evolution" means that Ubuntu phones don't use containers,
it's a more or less "regular" Ubuntu install, with the "usual"
filesystem hierarchy?

If I understand the FAQ correctly ( https://ubports.com/community/faq )
is based upon an Android kernel, but with apps of a more or less regular
Ubuntu 15.04 (EOL February 4, 2016) and there are plans to migrate to
16.04 (End of Standard Support April 2021), after the migration
Evolution is version 3.18.5.2
( https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/evolution )?

This would be good to know. If so, next time an Ubuntu phone user
will sent a request, the subscribers of this mailing list could help
with troubleshooting, by using the same hints, as for any other Linux
distro install on a PC or laptop. The phone user's just need to be
aware that Evolution and dependencies are very old and beyond getting
help with troubleshooting, they are on their own, since fixes for issues
may already be provided by more current versions of Evolution.

As far as I know you are the first Ubuntu phone user sending a request,
so I apologize for the cluelessness and I apologize for my slightly
rough undertone.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: validating an evolution ICS file

Matthias Apitz
Hello Ralf,

El día Monday, July 08, 2019 a las 07:36:45AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list escribió:

> so "/usr/lib/evolution" means that Ubuntu phones don't use containers,
> it's a more or less "regular" Ubuntu install, with the "usual"
> filesystem hierarchy?

Yes, the file system hierarchy is more or less the standard one, but
/root and /usr ... all mounted read-only and the system's user land is
not provided as apt-get installed packages, but a full image. I have
even a full copy of this installed in the phone below my HOME to jump to
there with chroot(1) for doing tests a ports of additional applications (like
mutt or tcpdump or GnuPG, ...) which I then use from outside the
chrooted system with special LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings, etc.

The apps are snap or click installed, the display is crontrolled by a
MIR server (no X11).

> If I understand the FAQ correctly ( https://ubports.com/community/faq )
> is based upon an Android kernel, but with apps of a more or less regular
> Ubuntu 15.04 (EOL February 4, 2016) and there are plans to migrate to
> 16.04 (End of Standard Support April 2021), after the migration
> Evolution is version 3.18.5.2
> ( https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/evolution )?

Since some OTA (Over The Air update) from UBports the system is based on
Ubuntu 16.04, on top of an Android kernel with some special hybris-lib
translating normal Linux sys calls into Andoid ones. The Evolution is
3.18 (at least I see this with strings in the binaries).

> This would be good to know. If so, next time an Ubuntu phone user
> will sent a request, the subscribers of this mailing list could help
> with troubleshooting, by using the same hints, as for any other Linux
> distro install on a PC or laptop. The phone user's just need to be
> aware that Evolution and dependencies are very old and beyond getting
> help with troubleshooting, they are on their own, since fixes for issues
> may already be provided by more current versions of Evolution.
>
> As far as I know you are the first Ubuntu phone user sending a request,
> so I apologize for the cluelessness and I apologize for my slightly
> rough undertone.

As far as I know, me and my family (4 devices) are the only Ubuntu phone
users which I do know off in Germany :-)
I'm used to rough undertones, when they provide help. My only idea to
bring this up here, was the validity of the ICS file. It seems now that
the problem is elsewhere, in the clock-app or the Unity8. I will not
debug this further.

I'm desperately awaiting as a substitute the Puri.sm Libre 5 phone,
complete based on Linux without any Adroid blob in it, which I bought in
the pre-sales in October 2017 and which is due to deliver in Q3 of this
year. We will see.

Thanks.

        matthias

--